how to install packages from experimental

how to install packages from experimental

Xavier Bestel
Hi,

I'd like to test gtk and gnome from experimental, but i seem to have a
problem with libwmf0.2-7 (conflicts with libgtk2.0-0, but is needed by
e.g. gimp which is needed by gnome).
Is there something I'm missing somewhere ? If some of you managed to
install the gnome packages from experimental, what sources did you use ?

My sources for experimental are:

deb http://ftp.debian.org/debian ../project/experimental main contrib non-free
deb http://pkg-gnome.alioth.debian.org/debian experimental main

Thanks,
        Xav

PS: please Cc: me

Re: how to install packages from experimental

Michael Ott-3
Hallo Xavier!

> I'd like to test gtk and gnome from experimental, but i seem to have a
> problem with libwmf0.2-7 (conflicts with libgtk2.0-0, but is needed by
> e.g. gimp which is needed by gnome).
> Is there something I'm missing somewhere ? If some of you managed to
> install the gnome packages from experimental, what sources did you use ?
>
> My sources for experimental are:
>
> deb http://ftp.debian.org/debian ../project/experimental main contrib non-free
> deb http://pkg-gnome.alioth.debian.org/debian experimental main
I have the same problem as you. But I think it takes time to fix that
dependences.

But you can download the package and try it with dpkg and
--ignore-depends.

But at the moment I do not think that anyone does many work for
experimental packages for gnome because 2.14 will be in Etch and this
will be come soon.
http://oskuro.net/blog/freesoftware/gnome-2.16-etch-2006-10-06-21-45

CU

  Michael

--
    ,''`.   Michael Ott, e-mail: michael at zolnott dot de
   : :' :   Debian SID on Thinkpad T43:
Online hören: http://www.radio-z.net

On Wed, 2006-10-11 at 10:49 +0200, Michael Ott wrote:

> Hallo Xavier!
>
> > I'd like to test gtk and gnome from experimental, but i seem to have a
> > problem with libwmf0.2-7 (conflicts with libgtk2.0-0, but is needed by
> > e.g. gimp which is needed by gnome).
> > Is there something I'm missing somewhere ? If some of you managed to
> > install the gnome packages from experimental, what sources did you use ?
> >
> > My sources for experimental are:
> >
> > deb http://ftp.debian.org/debian ../project/experimental main contrib non-free
> > deb http://pkg-gnome.alioth.debian.org/debian experimental main
> I have the same problem as you. But I think it takes time to fix that
> dependences.
>
> But you can download the package and try it with dpkg and
> --ignore-depends.
>
> But at the moment I do not think that anyone does many work for
> experimental packages for gnome because 2.14 will be in Etch and this
> will be come soon.
> http://oskuro.net/blog/freesoftware/gnome-2.16-etch-2006-10-06-21-45

Thanks for the information, Michael.
I guess I just have to wait :)

        Xav

Re: how to install packages from experimental

Loïc Minier
On Wed, Oct 11, 2006, Xavier Bestel wrote:
> I'd like to test gtk and gnome from experimental, but i seem to have a
> problem with libwmf0.2-7 (conflicts with libgtk2.0-0, but is needed by
> e.g. gimp which is needed by gnome).

 Gtk 2.10 changed ABI.  Hence, modules have to be rebuilt with the new
 Gtk.  We rebuilt GNOME modules in experimental already (such as
 libgnomeui, librsvg etc.), but we did not rebuild modules not
 maintained by the team.  First, we didn't seek permission (yet) to do
 so; second, since Gtk 2.10 is not targetted at Etch anyway, it would be
 additional work to rebuild these modules again and again (and update
 the Gtk conflicts) if more unstable uploads of these modules happen.

 I'm attaching a NMU diff for my own libwmf rebuild, HTH.  Warning: the
 diff removes some files, you should make sure these get truly removed,
 and do not get in the package with an empty content.

--
Loïc Minier <[hidden email]>

libwmf_0.2.8.4-2.1.diff (3K) Download Attachment

On Wed, 2006-10-11 at 13:51 +0200, Loïc Minier wrote:

> On Wed, Oct 11, 2006, Xavier Bestel wrote:
> > I'd like to test gtk and gnome from experimental, but i seem to have a
> > problem with libwmf0.2-7 (conflicts with libgtk2.0-0, but is needed by
> > e.g. gimp which is needed by gnome).
>
>  Gtk 2.10 changed ABI.  Hence, modules have to be rebuilt with the new
>  Gtk.  We rebuilt GNOME modules in experimental already (such as
>  libgnomeui, librsvg etc.), but we did not rebuild modules not
>  maintained by the team.  First, we didn't seek permission (yet) to do
>  so; second, since Gtk 2.10 is not targetted at Etch anyway, it would be
>  additional work to rebuild these modules again and again (and update
>  the Gtk conflicts) if more unstable uploads of these modules happen.
>
>  I'm attaching a NMU diff for my own libwmf rebuild, HTH.  Warning: the
>  diff removes some files, you should make sure these get truly removed,
>  and do not get in the package with an empty content.

The problem is that to build this package, I must install libgtk2.0-dev
from experimental (>= 2.10.1-1) so havoc will ensue (gnome
uninstallation).

        Xav

On Fri, Oct 13, 2006, Xavier Bestel wrote:
> The problem is that to build this package, I must install libgtk2.0-dev
> from experimental (>= 2.10.1-1) so havoc will ensue (gnome
> uninstallation).

 Build it on another machine, in a pbuilder, or in a chroot.  I can hand
 you possibly out of date binaries if you like:
    <http://people.dooz.org/~lool/debian/libwmf/0.2.8.4-2.1/experimental-pbuilder/>

 (Please don't Cc: me, I'm subscribed to debian-gtk-gnome@ldo.)

--
Loïc Minier <[hidden email]>

On Fri, 2006-10-13 at 10:25 +0200, Loïc Minier wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 13, 2006, Xavier Bestel wrote:
> > The problem is that to build this package, I must install libgtk2.0-dev
> > from experimental (>= 2.10.1-1) so havoc will ensue (gnome
> > uninstallation).
>
>  Build it on another machine, in a pbuilder, or in a chroot.  I can hand

I didn't know pbuilder.Will have a look, thanks.

>  you possibly out of date binaries if you like:
>     <http://people.dooz.org/~lool/debian/libwmf/0.2.8.4-2.1/experimental-pbuilder/>

Works fine !

>  (Please don't Cc: me, I'm subscribed to debian-gtk-gnome@ldo.)

Sorry, I'm used to that other kind of lists.

Thanks,
        Xav