how to request a DNS update

Marco d'Itri
I have not received any suggestions about this, the debian-admins
have not answered my (or Joy's) mails and the CNAME is still wrong.
My original request is dated April 12.
I do not know what else I could do to work out a solution for this...

[hidden email] Cc'ed to make him aware of this communication problem
affecting delegates and developers.

Re: how to request a DNS update

John Goerzen-3
On Wed, Jun 01, 2005 at 12:35:31AM +0200, Marco d'Itri wrote:
> I have not received any suggestions about this, the debian-admins
> have not answered my (or Joy's) mails and the CNAME is still wrong.
> My original request is dated April 12.

You know, that particular situation is really, really poor.  Surely
somebody could at least spare the 30 seconds to say "we have the
message and we'll address it in x days".

-- John

Re: how to request a DNS update

Richard A Nelson-2
On Tue, 31 May 2005, John Goerzen wrote:

> You know, that particular situation is really, really poor.  Surely
> somebody could at least spare the 30 seconds to say "we have the
> message and we'll address it in x days".

I'm no DNS wizzard, but do run a few small split view setups - I'd be
happy to do whatever I can to assist whomever has responsibility for
the Debian DNS setup.
--
Rick Nelson
<Knghtbrd> xtifr - beware of james when he's off his medication  =>

Re: how to request a DNS update

MJ Ray-2
Richard A Nelson <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I'm no DNS wizzard, but do run a few small split view setups - I'd be
> happy to do whatever I can to assist whomever has responsibility for
> the Debian DNS setup.

Could either Richard A Nelson or Marco d'Itri be delegated to help
maintain the DNS setup? It's not clear to me how it's run, so what's
the route forward? Open a bug on the project psued' or what?

--
MJ Ray (slef), K. Lynn, England, email see http://mjr.towers.org.uk/
http://people.debian.org/~mjr/

[hidden email] wrote:

>I'm no DNS wizzard, but do run a few small split view setups - I'd be
>happy to do whatever I can to assist whomever has responsibility for
>the Debian DNS setup.
I have some experience in dealing with complex DNS setups, so I doubt
that lack of manpower is so severe that the debian-admins cannot
allocate the 30 seconds of time needed to update a DNS record.
OTOH, I cannot think of any good reason for not performing a requested
DNS change nor explaining why it cannot be done.

[hidden email] wrote:

>I have not received any suggestions about this, the debian-admins
>have not answered my (or Joy's) mails and the CNAME is still wrong.
>My original request is dated April 12.

Update: no updates.

On Sun, Jun 05, 2005 at 11:16:43PM +0200, Marco d'Itri wrote:
> [hidden email] wrote:
>
> >I have not received any suggestions about this, the debian-admins
> >have not answered my (or Joy's) mails and the CNAME is still wrong.
> >My original request is dated April 12.
>
> Update: no updates.

Perhaps you ought to CC debian-admin... this is silly.

Re: how to request a DNS update

Florian Weimer
* Richard A. Nelson:

> I'm no DNS wizzard, but do run a few small split view setups - I'd be
> happy to do whatever I can to assist whomever has responsibility for
> the Debian DNS setup.

If the current hostmasters are unwilling to share their power
completely, they could simply delegate all the country-code subdomains
to another set of servers.  Maybe this would be an acceptable
compromise?

Re: how to request a DNS update

Sam Hartman-5
On Wed, Jun 01, 2005 at 12:35:31AM +0200, Marco d'Itri wrote:
> I have not received any suggestions about this, the debian-admins
> have not answered my (or Joy's) mails and the CNAME is still wrong.
> My original request is dated April 12.
> I do not know what else I could do to work out a solution for this...
>
> [hidden email] Cc'ed to make him aware of this communication problem
> affecting delegates and developers.

I have authorized Marco to communicate with the current owner of the
debian.it domain to effectuate its transfer to the Italian Linux Society.

(I am informed that SPI is not permitted to own the domain since SPI is a
U.S. organization -- in any case, my general instinct is to keep
geographically localized resources[1] under the control of nearby
organizations, where feasible and where we have a good relationship with
those organizations.)

Thanks for taking care of this, Marco!

[1] even if only in the virtual sense

--
G. Branden Robinson
Debian Project Leader

ownership of the debian.it domain (was: how to request a DNS update)

Sam Hartman-5
On Mon, Jun 20, 2005 at 01:45:04PM -0500, Branden Robinson / Debian Project Leader wrote:

> I have authorized Marco to communicate with the current owner of the
> debian.it domain to effectuate its transfer to the Italian Linux Society.
>
> (I am informed that SPI is not permitted to own the domain since SPI is a
> U.S. organization -- in any case, my general instinct is to keep
> geographically localized resources[1] under the control of nearby
> organizations, where feasible and where we have a good relationship with
> those organizations.)
>
> Thanks for taking care of this, Marco!
>
> [1] even if only in the virtual sense
While the above is true and valid, it was not apropos of the message to
which it was posted in reply.

My apologies to anyone who was confused or misled by my message.