how to use initrd command

Jon Miller-5
I'm attempting to upgrade Debian 3.1 kernel version 2.4  to the latest 2.6 version.  I understand I need to add a initrd command somewhere in this.  How do I pass this command and when (a link to a document would be a big help).

Thanks

Jon

Re: how to use initrd command

Glenn Meehan
On Thu, 2006-01-05 at 10:12 +0800, Jon Miller wrote:
> I'm attempting to upgrade Debian 3.1 kernel version 2.4  to the latest 2.6 version.  I understand I need to add a initrd command somewhere in this.  How do I pass this command and when (a link to a document would be a big help).
>
> Thanks
>
> Jon

I followed the instructions on this document. However I have to say that
I think the document is rather poorly written.
--
Glenn Meehan <[hidden email]>

Re: how to use initrd command

Sven Luther
On Thu, Jan 05, 2006 at 10:12:06AM +0800, Jon  Miller wrote:
> I'm attempting to upgrade Debian 3.1 kernel version 2.4  to the latest 2.6 version.  I understand I need to add a initrd command somewhere in this.  How do I pass this command and when (a link to a document would be a big help).

apt-get install initramfs-tools linux-image-2.6.15-1-<your_flavour>

should do all you need, provided you have set do_initrd or whatever it is to
yes in /etc/kernel-img.conf. man kernel-img.conf for details.

Friendly,

Sven Luther

Re: how to use initrd command

Maxim Veksler
On 1/5/06, Jon  Miller <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I'm attempting to upgrade Debian 3.1 kernel version 2.4  to the latest 2.6 version.  I understand I need to add a initrd command somewhere in this.  How do I pass this command and when (a link to a document would be a big help).
>
> Thanks
>
> Jon

Recommended reading : http://kernel-handbook.alioth.debian.org/index.html
Maxim Vexler (hq4ever).

Do u GNU ?

Re: how to use initrd command

Joris Huizer
Jon Miller wrote:
> I'm attempting to upgrade Debian 3.1 kernel version 2.4  to the latest 2.6 version.  I understand I need to add a initrd command somewhere in this.  How do I pass this command and when (a link to a document would be a big help).
>
> Thanks
>
> Jon

If you are installing a debian kernel image, apt-get will manage to
install any additional needed packages
The question the installer comes with, is about the /etc/lilo.conf file:
you have to make to find this section :

# Boot up Linux by default.
#
default=Linux

image=/vmlinuz
        label=Linux
        read-only
# restricted
# alias=1

it may look slightly different, but it'll be something like this
now, for a debian kernel image  it has to become like this

# Boot up Linux by default.
#
default=Linux

image=/vmlinuz
        label=Linux
        initrd=/initrd.img
        read-only
# restricted
# alias=1

it is a good idea to keep a menu item of the existing kernel in there
(with image=/vmlinuz.old) to ensure you can boot into your existing
kernel in case something is not yet set up proparly with the new one.

the /vmlinuz and /vmlinuz.old are usually symlinks to the real kernel
image in /boot, like /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.8.051231 - anyway, a file with
vmlinuz and a specific version in the name

HTH,

Joris