hp inkjet printer

steef-5
Hii folks,

After years my rather cumbersome canon mp280 printer definitely gave up. Now i am looking for a more convenient simple HP inkjetprinter.
Somebody some suggestions?

Thank you,

Steef

Groningen, Holland

Fwd: hp inkjet printer

steef-5

Re: hp inkjet printer

Paul Sutton-2

On 20/05/2019 08:18, steef wrote:

> Hii folks,
>
> After years my rather cumbersome canon mp280 printer definitely gave up.
> Now i am looking for a more convenient simple HP inkjetprinter. Somebody
> some suggestions?
>
> Thank you,
>
> Steef
>
> Groningen, Holland

I am using a HP envy 5530 inkjet,  works really well.  It does use the
hp301 black / colour cartridges,  there are newer models.  HP support
for linux is very good.  Ink isn't cheap but ink isn't cheap anyway.

However if you remove 1 of the 2 cartridges e.g colour it will switch to
just using a single cartridge which is really handy if you run out, you
can keep printing (great for that emergency print) until new ink arrives.

Paul

--
Paul Sutton
http://www.zleap.net
gnupg : 7D6D B682 F351 8D08 1893  1E16 F086 5537 D066 302D

Re: hp inkjet printer

steef-5

thanks paul

On 20-05-19 09:47, Paul Sutton wrote:

> I am using a HP envy 5530 inkjet,  works really well.  It does use the
> hp301 black / colour cartridges,  there are newer models.  HP support
> for linux is very good.  Ink isn't cheap but ink isn't cheap anyway.
>
> However if you remove 1 of the 2 cartridges e.g colour it will switch to
> just using a single cartridge which is really handy if you run out, you
> can keep printing (great for that emergency print) until new ink arrives.
>
> Paul

Re: hp inkjet printer

Dan Purgert

--
|_|O|_|

Re: hp inkjet printer

didier.gaumet
there is a useful page on the HP website about HPLIP and all supported
HP printers:
 https://developers.hp.com/hp-linux-imaging-and-printing/supported_devices/index

Re: hp inkjet printer

Jonas Smedegaard-2
Quoting didier gaumet (2019-05-20 17:40:18)
> there is a useful page on the HP website about HPLIP and all supported
> HP printers:
>  https://developers.hp.com/hp-linux-imaging-and-printing/supported_devices/index

...but beware of printers requiring non-free drivers, also some from HP:
https://wiki.debian.org/PrintQueuesCUPS#Non-free_Printer_Drivers_and_Firmware

 - Jonas

 * Tlf.: +45 40843136  Website: http://dr.jones.dk/

 [x] quote me freely  [ ] ask before reusing  [ ] keep private

Re: hp inkjet printer

Jonas Smedegaard-2
Quoting steef (2019-05-20 09:18:06)
> After years my rather cumbersome canon mp280 printer definitely gave
> up. Now i am looking for a more convenient simple HP inkjetprinter.
> Somebody some suggestions?

I don't have concrete suggestions for wet-ink printers¹ and availability
and best offers also tend to be tied to geographical regions.

If buying a _new_ printer I can generally recommend to look at ones
certified "IPP Everywhere" http://www.pwg.org/dynamo/eveprinters.php or
"AirPrint" https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201311

For refurbished and others "non-certified" it is far more
trial-and-error.

 - Jonas

¹ I use only laser printers myself, and am currently happy with two
refurbished Brother CMYK laser printers which are relatively cheap in
toner - but they lack proper color calibration as that involves a
non-free driver offered only for i386 and my CUPS server runs armhf.

 * Tlf.: +45 40843136  Website: http://dr.jones.dk/

 [x] quote me freely  [ ] ask before reusing  [ ] keep private

Re: hp inkjet printer

Brian
On Mon 20 May 2019 at 17:40:18 +0200, didier gaumet wrote:

> there is a useful page on the HP website about HPLIP and all supported
> HP printers:
>  https://developers.hp.com/hp-linux-imaging-and-printing/supported_devices/index

This page is very useful for a legacy printer, which would require
HPLIP. A modern printer (which one presumes steef intends to purchase),
does not need HPLIP. Unfortunately, users still reach for a driver for
a recent HP printer - even though it is completely unnecessary. It is
will probably be ages before users catch on and clutching a blanket for
setting up printing disappears.

--
Brian.

Re: hp inkjet printer

ghe-2
Yet another suggestion for laser.

I read on the screen most of the time. I used to have an HP inkjet, and
the ink kept drying out and clogging the jets, resulting in many wasted
ink cartridges.

When it was cooking, it made much prettier pictures than the B&W HP
laser printer that replaced it does. But for plain old code listings and
letters and stuff, the laser is just fine.

Glenn English

Re: hp inkjet printer

Brian
On Mon 20 May 2019 at 13:32:52 -0600, ghe wrote:

> Yet another suggestion for laser.
>
> I read on the screen most of the time. I used to have an HP inkjet, and
> the ink kept drying out and clogging the jets, resulting in many wasted
> ink cartridges.
>
> When it was cooking, it made much prettier pictures than the B&W HP
> laser printer that replaced it does. But for plain old code listings and
> letters and stuff, the laser is just fine.

The mail you are replying to has nothing to do with inkjet vs laser.
Would you like to reread it and respond appropriately?

Brian.

Re: hp inkjet printer

didier.gaumet
Le 20/05/2019 à 20:30, Brian a écrit :

> On Mon 20 May 2019 at 17:40:18 +0200, didier gaumet wrote:
>
>> there is a useful page on the HP website about HPLIP and all supported
>> HP printers:
>>  https://developers.hp.com/hp-linux-imaging-and-printing/supported_devices/index
>
> This page is very useful for a legacy printer, which would require
> HPLIP. A modern printer (which one presumes steef intends to purchase),
> does not need HPLIP. Unfortunately, users still reach for a driver for
> a recent HP printer - even though it is completely unnecessary. It is
> will probably be ages before users catch on and clutching a blanket for
> setting up printing disappears.

I would agree with you Brian, that a driver is unnecessary with a modern
print-only network printer, but I suppose a driver would be appropriate
if you prefer to use a USB cable or if the "printer" is a
printer+scanner combo and you want to be able to scan? :-)

(In fact the OP said he wants a simpler printer than his MP280 (a combo)
but I am at a loss to interpret this as a true print-only printer or a
more user-friendly and less cumbersome printer+scanner combo)

Re: hp inkjet printer

Brian
On Tue 21 May 2019 at 10:11:30 +0200, didier gaumet wrote:

> Le 20/05/2019 à 20:30, Brian a écrit :
> > On Mon 20 May 2019 at 17:40:18 +0200, didier gaumet wrote:
> >
> >> there is a useful page on the HP website about HPLIP and all supported
> >> HP printers:
> >>  https://developers.hp.com/hp-linux-imaging-and-printing/supported_devices/index
> >
> > This page is very useful for a legacy printer, which would require
> > HPLIP. A modern printer (which one presumes steef intends to purchase),
> > does not need HPLIP. Unfortunately, users still reach for a driver for
> > a recent HP printer - even though it is completely unnecessary. It is
> > will probably be ages before users catch on and clutching a blanket for
> > setting up printing disappears.
> >

> I would agree with you Brian, that a driver is unnecessary with a modern
> print-only network printer, but I suppose a driver would be appropriate
> if you prefer to use a USB cable or if the "printer" is a
> printer+scanner combo and you want to be able to scan? :-)

A USB-connected  modern printer is likely not to be a problem; it should
be capable of IPP-over-USB, for which Debian has the ippusbxd package.
However, a user needs to be aware that using ippusbxd with an all-in-one
renders scanning inoperable.

You are correct regarding scanning. This process still requires a driver
from the vendor, but there are plans to develop driverless scanning for
Linux during the coming year. Actually, depending on the device, it is
possible to do it now.

Brian.

Re: hp inkjet printer

didier.gaumet
Le 21/05/2019 à 18:15, Brian a écrit :

> A USB-connected  modern printer is likely not to be a problem; it should
> be capable of IPP-over-USB, for which Debian has the ippusbxd package.
> However, a user needs to be aware that using ippusbxd with an all-in-one
> renders scanning inoperable.

Excellent: impossibility to scan is a trade-off but nonetheless it is
great news and I wasn't even aware of this protocol

> You are correct regarding scanning. This process still requires a driver
> from the vendor, but there are plans to develop driverless scanning for
> Linux during the coming year. Actually, depending on the device, it is
> possible to do it now.

Another excellent perspective :-)