iBook G4 - Wireless

Riccardo Mottola
Hi!

I have my running iBook G4 14" now! The 14" model does have a pluggable
Airport card, different from the 12" which had one socketed to the
mainboard.

I got one on ebay, but I cannot see it. Hoping that it is not broken, I
suspect some missing driver or so. Where to look?

Should It come up in lspci? It is not actually a PCI bus

$ lspci
0000:00:0b.0 Host bridge: Apple Inc. UniNorth 2 AGP
0000:00:10.0 VGA compatible controller: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.
[AMD/ATI] RV280/M9+ [Mobility Radeon 9200 AGP] (rev 01)
0001:10:0b.0 Host bridge: Apple Inc. UniNorth 2 PCI
0001:10:17.0 Unassigned class [ff00]: Apple Inc. KeyLargo/Intrepid Mac I/O
0001:10:18.0 USB controller: Apple Inc. KeyLargo/Intrepid USB
0001:10:19.0 USB controller: Apple Inc. KeyLargo/Intrepid USB
0001:10:1a.0 USB controller: Apple Inc. KeyLargo/Intrepid USB
0001:10:1b.0 USB controller: NEC Corporation OHCI USB Controller (rev 43)
0001:10:1b.1 USB controller: NEC Corporation OHCI USB Controller (rev 43)
0001:10:1b.2 USB controller: NEC Corporation uPD72010x USB 2.0
Controller (rev 04)
0002:20:0b.0 Host bridge: Apple Inc. UniNorth 2 Internal PCI
0002:20:0d.0 Unassigned class [ff00]: Apple Inc. UniNorth/Intrepid ATA/100
0002:20:0e.0 FireWire (IEEE 1394): Apple Inc. UniNorth 2 FireWire (rev 81)
0002:20:0f.0 Ethernet controller: Apple Inc. UniNorth 2 GMAC (Sun GEM)
(rev 80)

$ /sbin/iwconfig
lo        no wireless extensions.

enP2p32s15f0  no wireless extensions.

Thanks,

Riccardo

Re: iBook G4 - Wireless

Riccardo Mottola
Hi,

Brock suggested me to look here:

https://wiki.debian.org/PowerPC/FAQ#How_do_I_get_wireless_working.3F

there is a typo for sure, lscpi is probably lspci,.

In any case it suggests firmware-b43-installer, however that one and
firmware-b43legacy-installer require the package

b43-fwcutter

which is unavailable.

Anyone of you having their Airport working?

Riccardo

Re: iBook G4 - Wireless

swamprock

Sent from ProtonMail Mobile

On Mon, Jan 7, 2019 at 2:09 PM, Riccardo Mottola <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi,

Brock suggested me to look here:

https://wiki.debian.org/PowerPC/FAQ#How_do_I_get_wireless_working.3F

there is a typo for sure, lscpi is probably lspci,.

In any case it suggests firmware-b43-installer, however that one and
firmware-b43legacy-installer require the package

b43-fwcutter

which is unavailable.

Anyone of you having their Airport working?

Riccardo

You can use Jessie’s fwcutter. This is what I did when I discovered that it hadn’t been updated for sid.

Brian

Re: iBook G4 - Wireless

Riccardo Mottola
Hi all!

swamprock wrote:
> You can use Jessie’s fwcutter. This is what I did when I discovered
> that it hadn’t been updated for sid.

any news on getting b43-fwcutter in our current repositories?

Alternatively, how can I install the sid version: can I somehow download
the .deb manually (from where?) and install it with dpkg?

Riccardo

Re: iBook G4 - Wireless

Riccardo Mottola
Hi all,

Riccardo Mottola wrote:

> any news on getting b43-fwcutter in our current repositories?
>
> Alternatively, how can I install the sid version: can I somehow
> download the .deb manually (from where?) and install it with dpkg?

may I ask again? I'm still using an USB dongle which is pretty
inconvenient...

Riccardo

Re: iBook G4 - Wireless

John Paul Adrian Glaubitz

On Feb 1, 2019, at 4:20 PM, Riccardo Mottola <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi all,

Riccardo Mottola wrote:

any news on getting b43-fwcutter in our current repositories?

Alternatively, how can I install the sid version: can I somehow download the .deb manually (from where?) and install it with dpkg?

may I ask again? I'm still using an USB dongle which is pretty inconvenient...

Adrian

Re: iBook G4 - Wireless

Riccardo Mottola

Hi Adrian,

On 2/1/19 4:59 PM, John Paul Adrian Glaubitz wrote:
See: http://snapshot.debian.org/package/b43-fwcutter/1%3A019-3/

fine, I downloaded and installed b43-fwcutter using dpkg.

Then following this guide:

https://wiki.debian.org/bcm43xx#b43-b43legacy

I installed

apt-get install firmware-b43-installer

because I have, according to lspci:

0001:10:12.0 Network controller: Broadcom Limited BCM4306 802.11b/g Wireless LAN Controller (rev 03)

Revision 03 and not revision 02, so not the legacy version.

Firmware downloaded without apparent errors

However, I get no device!

dmesg tells me:
[16259.858142] b43-wlan ERROR: Dual-core devices are not supported
[16259.861747] b43: probe of ssb0:0 failed with error -524
[16259.878169] Broadcom 43xx driver loaded [ Features: PNLS ]

my iBook is for sure not Dual-core! would be too nice :)

Riccardo

Re: iBook G4 - Wireless

John Paul Adrian Glaubitz
On 2/2/19 2:23 PM, Riccardo Mottola wrote:
> dmesg tells me:
> [16259.858142] b43-wlan ERROR: Dual-core devices are not supported
> [16259.861747] b43: probe of ssb0:0 failed with error -524
> [16259.878169] Broadcom 43xx driver loaded [ Features: PNLS ]
>
> my iBook is for sure not Dual-core! would be too nice :)

I don't think this error message is related to your CPU but rather to your
WiFi chipset. I would try installing the legacy version of the driver.

I will be able to test this myself in around a month after I have moved
into my new apartment. I will have enough space there to set up all
my retro computers, including one iBook G4. Although, I don't know what
kind of wireless chipset mine has. I have two iBook G4 though, so maybe
we're lucky one of them has the right chipset.

If you can wait until then, I will be able to help.

Thanks,
Adrian

--
 .''`.  John Paul Adrian Glaubitz

Re: iBook G4 - Wireless

Riccardo Mottola
Hi Adrian,

John Paul Adrian Glaubitz wrote:

> I don't think this error message is related to your CPU but rather to your
> WiFi chipset. I would try installing the legacy version of the driver.
>
> I will be able to test this myself in around a month after I have moved
> into my new apartment. I will have enough space there to set up allBCM4306
> my retro computers, including one iBook G4. Although, I don't know what
> kind of wireless chipset mine has. I have two iBook G4 though, so maybe
> we're lucky one of them has the right chipset.
>
> If you can wait until then, I will be able to help.

at the end it was an issue of kernel modules while trying to test legacy
and non-legacy version.

The guide is correct. For the Revision 03 of BCM4306 the normal version
of firmware-b43-installer is enough and works fine for me after a reboot!

Very good. I will test it now in more complex wireless environments like
at work, but the iBook being vintage is now mostly relegated at home for
testing and PPC development.

thanks for the help,

Riccardo

PS: it would of course help other users of this card to have b43-fwcutte
readily available in current apt sources.

Re: iBook G4 - Wireless

John Paul Adrian Glaubitz

> On Feb 4, 2019, at 2:22 PM, Riccardo Mottola <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> PS: it would of course help other users of this card to have b43-fwcutte readily available in current apt sources.

Yes, I am aware of that. We have that already on the list but my time is limited and working on Debian Ports is not my main job, I am doing this in my freetime.

I am also not just limited to my work on the PowerPC ports but all the other architectures in Debian Ports as well. The work is really time-consuming and requires a lot of testing which is why things like fixing the bootloader for PowerPC/PPC64 isn’t something that can be done overnight.

I will be moving into a larger apartment soon and while I am moving , I don’t have too much time to work on Ports. After I have moved, I will have enough space to put all my retro hardware on storage and retrieve it whenever I need it for Debian tests, including the installer.

I do want to fix all the remaining issues and I will actually fix them but I cannot do it right now and immediately. I also currently don’t have hardware set up to be able to reproduce graphics glitches as reported by Noah, for example.

If you find something like those missing packages, put it on the TODO list in the Debian Wiki for PowerPC. The b43-fwcutter package is already on the list, however, so don’t worry.

Thanks,
Adrian
(currently returning from FOSDEM)

Re: iBook G4 - Wireless

Riccardo Mottola
Hi Adrian

John Paul Adrian Glaubitz wrote:
> If you find something like those missing packages, put it on the TODO list in the Debian Wiki for PowerPC. The b43-fwcutter package is already on the list, however, so don’t worry.

just a kind reminder: it is still missing :)

Riccardo

Re: iBook G4 - Wireless

John Paul Adrian Glaubitz
On 7/4/19 9:51 PM, Riccardo Mottola wrote:
> John Paul Adrian Glaubitz wrote:
>> If you find something like those missing packages, put it on the TODO list in the Debian Wiki for PowerPC. The b43-fwcutter package is already on the list, however, so don’t worry.
>
> just a kind reminder: it is still missing :)
I have only limited time, sorry.

Adrian

--
 .''`.  John Paul Adrian Glaubitz