ibook G3 suddenly fails to resume after suspend with Debian wheezy

ibook G3 suddenly fails to resume after suspend with Debian wheezy

Juergen Hench
Dear Debian-for-PPC developers and users

I am using an old 2003 G3 ibook with debian wheezy (3.2.0-4-powerpc #1 Debian 3.2.68-1+deb7u3 ppc GNU/Linux), initially installed as linux mint. It had all been working fine until yesterday when the resume-from-suspend stopped working. I have performed an upgrade to the current version of all installed packages. I have been using lxde and xfce4 on the system.

There was one "anomaly" when waking up from suspend since Debian had been installed. When closing the lid, the computer would go to suspend. When re-opening, it would wake up for a few seconds, then go back to suspend without user interaction. Pressing a keyboard key would then wake it up again, and it would function fine.

Now, since the upgrade (did not note the versions I had been using before) the system goes to suspend. When re-opening, it does power up the screen backlight, and the caps lock key as well as num lock key LEDs work, however, nothing else starts up, and there is no network connection either. Thus, it is impossible to see what exactly fails. All the remains is to turn off the power and to reboot.

I wonder if there has been any change to packages that could explain this behavior. I have found several old posts about older Debian versions with similar "symptoms" and have tried to exchange pbbuttonsd for pmud. It all remains the same. No waking up from suspend anymore.

Does anyone have an ibook / powerbook G3 with the current Debian wheezy running and suspend still works? Which packages are installed? I would be grateful for a list. Are there any customizations needed? I do not recall that I had to adapt any file after the installation for suspend/resume to work. Unfortunately, now, when trying to find the problem, I have added and removed quite some packages and the whole thing seems to boil down do the kernel rather than the ppbuttonsd etc. level.

Has anyone else with an ibook / pb G3 experience the same problem recently?

Any idea is appreciated

Best

Juergen

Fwd: Re: ibook G3 suddenly fails to resume after suspend with Debian wheezy

Juergen Hench

Hi Roosevelt

Thank. You for your hint. My F2 key works as expected if pbbuttonsd is installed. However, after waking up from suspend, the whole system seems stuck. There is no reaction to anything, i.e. it is not a display problem.

From old posts I figured some previous updates (of which packages?) Have led to ther same or simiulare failure. It would be great to get a starting point to solve this issue.

Best

Juergen

On Aug 25, 2015 4:35 AM, "Roosevelt Littleton" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I once had debian on my powerbook. When ever the screen was black. All I had to do is press the apple key with the sun on it(F2). This worked for me.
>
> On Mon, Aug 24, 2015 at 9:00 PM, Juergen Hench <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Dear Debian-for-PPC developers and users
>>
>> I am using an old 2003 G3 ibook with debian wheezy (3.2.0-4-powerpc #1 Debian 3.2.68-1+deb7u3 ppc GNU/Linux), initially installed as linux mint. It had all been working fine until yesterday when the resume-from-suspend stopped working. I have performed an upgrade to the current version of all installed packages. I have been using lxde and xfce4 on the system.
>>
>> There was one "anomaly" when waking up from suspend since Debian had been installed. When closing the lid, the computer would go to suspend. When re-opening, it would wake up for a few seconds, then go back to suspend without user interaction. Pressing a keyboard key would then wake it up again, and it would function fine.
>>
>> Now, since the upgrade (did not note the versions I had been using before) the system goes to suspend. When re-opening, it does power up the screen backlight, and the caps lock key as well as num lock key LEDs work, however, nothing else starts up, and there is no network connection either. Thus, it is impossible to see what exactly fails. All the remains is to turn off the power and to reboot.
>>
>> I wonder if there has been any change to packages that could explain this behavior. I have found several old posts about older Debian versions with similar "symptoms" and have tried to exchange pbbuttonsd for pmud. It all remains the same. No waking up from suspend anymore.
>>
>> Does anyone have an ibook / powerbook G3 with the current Debian wheezy running and suspend still works? Which packages are installed? I would be grateful for a list. Are there any customizations needed? I do not recall that I had to adapt any file after the installation for suspend/resume to work. Unfortunately, now, when trying to find the problem, I have added and removed quite some packages and the whole thing seems to boil down do the kernel rather than the ppbuttonsd etc. level.
>>
>> Has anyone else with an ibook / pb G3 experience the same problem recently?
>>
>> Any idea is appreciated
>>
>> Best
>>
>> Juergen

Re: ibook G3 suddenly fails to resume after suspend with Debian wheezy

Michel Dänzer-2
On 25.08.2015 10:00, Juergen Hench wrote:

> Dear Debian-for-PPC developers and users
>
> I am using an old 2003 G3 ibook with debian wheezy (3.2.0-4-powerpc #1
> Debian 3.2.68-1+deb7u3 ppc GNU/Linux), initially installed as linux
> mint. It had all been working fine until yesterday when the
> resume-from-suspend stopped working. I have performed an upgrade to the
> current version of all installed packages. I have been using lxde and
> xfce4 on the system.
>
> There was one "anomaly" when waking up from suspend since Debian had
> been installed. When closing the lid, the computer would go to suspend.
> When re-opening, it would wake up for a few seconds, then go back to
> suspend without user interaction. Pressing a keyboard key would then
> wake it up again, and it would function fine.
>
> Now, since the upgrade (did not note the versions I had been using
> before) [...]

FWIW, you can see which packages were upgraded from which versions in
/var/log/aptitude* or /var/log/dpkg.log* .

--
Earthling Michel Dänzer               |               http://www.amd.com
Libre software enthusiast             |             Mesa and X developer

Re: ibook G3 suddenly fails to resume after suspend with Debian wheezy

Richard Kuenz
hello ,

mr. elimar wrote back here but i cannot find the post anymore

i just installed debian jessie on powerbook g4 1,67 and with help of
these mate.debs here
http://ppcluddite.blogspot.it/2012/03/installing-debian-linux-on-ppc-part-iv.html

got nice 3d acelleration with the radeon chip.

problem is the laptop won't come out of suspend if i close the lid on
the powerbook.

pbbuttonsd is installed.

thank you very much,

richard

ps. another question: is radeon x800xt supported on powermac g5 (agp)?