inline pgp not working in evolution (when using base64 encoding?)

inline pgp not working in evolution (when using base64 encoding?)

Hi all,

I use PGP at home and at work using Evolution 2.22.3.1 (both Debian
Lenny, appears identical setup). When clicking the email in Evolution at
work, it prompts for a password. However at home, Evolution does not
prompt for a password.

The Evolution program at home *does* prompt for a password when a work
email message is imported! In contrast, when home emails are opened at
work, no prompt. So there is something wrong with the emails sent to the
home address.

Attached are two sources of the emails sent to home and work.

The 'obvious' difference between the sources is the encoding: it looks
like the email which does not prompt for a password is wrapped in
another envelope:

--_003_122674231513134camellocalhost_

However, I do not know how to change this. I tried to change encoding
while sending, but this does not help.

Any suggestions?

Thank you in advance.

Best,

Rob de Graaf

email_inline_pgp_failes.txt (1K) Download Attachment
email_inline_pgp_works.txt (1K) Download Attachment

Re: inline pgp not working in evolution (when using base64 encoding?)

Bob Cox-5
On Sat, Nov 15, 2008 at 12:18:17 +0200, subscriptions ([hidden email]) wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I use PGP at home and at work using Evolution 2.22.3.1 (both Debian
> Lenny, appears identical setup). When clicking the email in Evolution at
> work, it prompts for a password. However at home, Evolution does not
> prompt for a password.
>
> The Evolution program at home *does* prompt for a password when a work
> email message is imported! In contrast, when home emails are opened at
> work, no prompt. So there is something wrong with the emails sent to the
> home address.
>
> Attached are two sources of the emails sent to home and work.
>
> The 'obvious' difference between the sources is the encoding: it looks
> like the email which does not prompt for a password is wrapped in
> another envelope:
>
> --_003_122674231513134camellocalhost_
>
> However, I do not know how to change this. I tried to change encoding
> while sending, but this does not help.
>
> Any suggestions?
>
> Thank you in advance.

I am not an expert in this but have had a bit of a play.

The attachment that works (email_inline_pgp_works.txt) does indeed look
ok:

bob@trantor:~$ gpg -d email_inline_pgp_works.txt
gpg: encrypted with ELG-E key, ID 5515B7F0
gpg: encrypted with ELG-E key, ID 823A6E92
gpg: decryption failed: secret key not available

The second one is, as you say, base64 encoded after the encryption was
applied, but by first editing away the text other than the encoded
section, it is possible to extract this:

bob@trantor:~$ base64 -d email_inline_pgp_failes.txt | gpg -d
gpg: encrypted with ELG-E key, ID 5515B7F0
gpg: decryption failed: secret key not available

Presumably this is the sender's key - but where is the recipient's?

Something is not quite right.  But you already knew that ;-)

--
Bob Cox.  Stoke Gifford, near Bristol, UK.

Re: inline pgp not working in evolution (when using base64 encoding?)

Paul Johnson
Bob Cox wrote:
> bob@trantor:~$ base64 -d email_inline_pgp_failes.txt | gpg -d
> gpg: encrypted with ELG-E key, ID 5515B7F0
> gpg: decryption failed: secret key not available
>
> Presumably this is the sender's key - but where is the recipient's?
>
> Something is not quite right.  But you already knew that ;-)

If I were the OP, I'd have the original sender send again, this time
making sure to encrypt against your public key in addition to himself...