is it possible to use wheezy CD to rescue stretch

is it possible to use wheezy CD to rescue stretch

Long Wind-2
i have stretch, but can't boot it, i think its grub is bad, i want to boot into it so that i can run grub-install to fix it.

i have wheezy CD, it has rescue option, is it possible to use it to boot stretch? in early Debian CD, it's possible. Thanks!

Re: is it possible to use wheezy CD to rescue stretch

Roberto C. Sánchez-2
On Wed, Jan 09, 2019 at 10:26:51PM +0000, Long Wind wrote:
>    i have stretch, but can't boot it, i think its grub is bad, i want to boot
>    into it so that i can run grub-install to fix it.
>    i have wheezy CD, it has rescue option, is it possible to use it to boot
>    stretch? in early Debian CD, it's possible. Thanks!

Yes, that should be possible.  If the tools available in the wheezy
installer environment are insufficient, then you chroot into the broken
jessie environment to issue whatever grub commands you need to restore
your installation to working order.

Regards,

-Roberto

Roberto C. Sánchez

Re: is it possible to use wheezy CD to rescue stretch

Pascal Hambourg-2
Le 09/01/2019 à 23:26, Long Wind a écrit :
> i have wheezy CD, it has rescue option, is it possible to use it to boot stretch?

Not always. Wheezy's kernel and e2fsprogs tools do not support newer
ext4 features such as csum_metadata which are enabled by default on ext4
filesystems created by Stretch's tools.

Re: is it possible to use wheezy CD to rescue stretch

Long Wind-2
Thanks, i browse Help of wheezy CD, i don't know what rescue it can do

its advanced option allows you to specify boot option before boot,
vmlinuz, initrd, root=/dev/sda2 ...

(my stretch is installed at sda2)

but initrd on CD is intended for install, not for my purpose

no luck, i may have to find other way

Le 10/01/2019 à 01:21, Long Wind a écrit :
> Thanks, i browse Help of wheezy CD, i don't know what rescue it can do
> its advanced option allows you to specify boot option before boot,vmlinuz, initrd, root=/dev/sda2 ...
> (my stretch is installed at sda2)
> but initrd on CD is intended for install, not for my purpose

The rescue mode will ask you to select the root filesystem and start a
shell on it (with chroot). You can also start a shell in the installer
(initramfs).

Re: is it possible to use wheezy CD to rescue stretch

songbird
Long Wind wrote:
> but initrd on CD is intended for install, not for my purpose
> no luck, i may have to find other way

  can you download and create a USB stick with the
relevant netinst image on it?

  that has a rescue aspect which should be compatible.

  songbird

(solved) Re: is it possible to use wheezy CD to rescue stretch

Long Wind-2
i remove problem stretch disk to another pc also running stretch
and let it boot problem stretch (after reconfig grub)
and fix problem stretch with grub-install

Thank Pascal and songbird anyway!