is it safe to "try" gcc 9 from experimental in Debian/testing

is it safe to "try" gcc 9 from experimental in Debian/testing

Christophe Trophime
Hi,
I would like to try gcc-9 on a Debian/testing.
It seems that install gcc-9 from experimental will update libatomic1 and libgcc1
I guess this is not safe to do that?

What is the best way to try gcc-9 then?

Best

Christophe TROPHIME
Research Engineer

    CNRS - LNCMI
25, rue des Martyrs
BP 166
38042 GRENOBLE Cedex 9
FRANCE

Tel : +33 (0)4 76 88 90 02
Fax : +33 (0) 4 76 88 10 01
Office U 19
M@il : [hidden email]

Re: is it safe to "try" gcc 9 from experimental in Debian/testing

Mo Zhou
Hi Christophe,

I personally recommend you to try it within a docker
container, or a chroot environment.

On 2019-05-24 14:23, Christophe Trophime wrote:
> Hi,
> I would like to try gcc-9 on a Debian/testing.
> It seems that install gcc-9 from experimental will update libatomic1
> and libgcc1
> I guess this is not safe to do that?
>
> What is the best way to try gcc-9 then?

Re: is it safe to "try" gcc 9 from experimental in Debian/testing

Emmanuel Arias
Hi

On 5/24/19 11:23 AM, Christophe Trophime wrote:
Hi,
I would like to try gcc-9 on a Debian/testing.
It seems that install gcc-9 from experimental will update libatomic1 and libgcc1
I guess this is not safe to do that?

What is the best way to try gcc-9 then?
I recommend you use chroot or try to use a vm.
That is you mean?

Best

Christophe TROPHIME
Research Engineer