javascript

Russell L. Harris-2
When attempting to listen to a recorded pipe organ broadcast posted on
a web site of Minnesota Public Radio (MPR), I am taken to a page which
has the message,"To view this content, Javascript must be enabled and
Adobe Flash Player must be installed."

The page with the links to the broadcast is titled "A
Tribute to Notre Dame Cathedral":
https://pipedreams.publicradio.org/listings/2020/2015/

The link is titled "Audio Complete Show 1 hr 58 Min":
https://pipedreams.publicradio.org/www_publicradio/tools/
media_player/popup.php?name=pipedreams/2020/04/13_pipedreams_128

I am running Debian 10.  Synaptic does not find in the Debian archive
a Javascript package.  And I seem to remember that Javascript is not a
good thing.

So, is there an alternative?  I have contacted MPR, but MPR has not
yet offered a solution.

RLH

Re: javascript

Kenneth Parker-2

On Thu, Apr 16, 2020 at 2:50 PM Russell L. Harris <[hidden email]> wrote:
When attempting to listen to a recorded pipe organ broadcast posted on
a web site of Minnesota Public Radio (MPR), I am taken to a page which
has the message,"To view this content, Javascript must be enabled and
Adobe Flash Player must be installed."

Sounds like an "ancient" Website.

The page with the links to the broadcast is titled "A
Tribute to Notre Dame Cathedral":
https://pipedreams.publicradio.org/listings/2020/2015/

As a lover of Classical Music, I would like to view that.

What I've done before (and could "dust off"), is to Install an old version of Ubuntu (which I used in the Olden days) inside a Virtual Machine (Virtualbox in the past, but I've been experimenting, lately with KVM/Qemu), and enjoying the Website there.

One caution:  Use that Old OS (and Browser)  *only*  for these, known Old Sites.  Don't browse the Open Internet there, unless you've taken a Snapshot, which you can Restore!

The link is titled "Audio Complete Show 1 hr 58 Min":
https://pipedreams.publicradio.org/www_publicradio/tools/
media_player/popup.php?name=pipedreams/2020/04/13_pipedreams_128

Thanks again.

I am running Debian 10.  Synaptic does not find in the Debian archive
a Javascript package.  And I seem to remember that Javascript is not a
good thing.

It's sites like these that "inspire" those, using Windows to keep old and Insecure Technology, which then get infected by Malware.

So, is there an alternative?  I have contacted MPR, but MPR has not
yet offered a solution.

Like I said, something old, via a Virtual Machine.  Could even be an older Windows release.  (But be Careful!)

RLH

Kenneth Parker

Re: javascript

Andrei POPESCU-2
On Jo, 16 apr 20, 18:49:40, Russell L. Harris wrote:
> When attempting to listen to a recorded pipe organ broadcast posted on
> a web site of Minnesota Public Radio (MPR), I am taken to a page which
> has the message,"To view this content, Javascript must be enabled and
> Adobe Flash Player must be installed."

[...]

> I am running Debian 10.  Synaptic does not find in the Debian archive
> a Javascript package.  And I seem to remember that Javascript is not a
> good thing.

Javascript is supported by Firefox and Chromium, unless you explicitly
disabled it.

The problem here however appears to be support for Adobe Flash. If you
have Chromium installed you could try installing the package
pepperflashplugin-nonfree from contrib.

Kind regards,
Andrei

Re: javascript

Dan Ritter-4
Russell L. Harris wrote:

> When attempting to listen to a recorded pipe organ broadcast posted on
> a web site of Minnesota Public Radio (MPR), I am taken to a page which
> has the message,"To view this content, Javascript must be enabled and
> Adobe Flash Player must be installed."
>
> The page with the links to the broadcast is titled "A
> Tribute to Notre Dame Cathedral":
> https://pipedreams.publicradio.org/listings/2020/2015/
>
> The link is titled "Audio Complete Show 1 hr 58 Min":
> https://pipedreams.publicradio.org/www_publicradio/tools/
> media_player/popup.php?name=pipedreams/2020/04/13_pipedreams_128
>
> I am running Debian 10.  Synaptic does not find in the Debian archive
> a Javascript package.  And I seem to remember that Javascript is not a
> good thing.
>
> So, is there an alternative?  I have contacted MPR, but MPR has not
> yet offered a solution.

I found this:

http://download.publicradio.org/pipedreams/2020/04/13_pipedreams_128.mp3

buried in the page source.

Use wget or curl to download it, then play with any mp3 player.

-dsr-

Re: javascript

Kenneth Parker-2

On Thu, Apr 16, 2020, 3:25 PM Dan Ritter <[hidden email]> wrote:
Russell L. Harris wrote:
> When attempting to listen to a recorded pipe organ broadcast posted on
> a web site of Minnesota Public Radio (MPR), I am taken to a page which
> has the message,"To view this content, Javascript must be enabled and
> Adobe Flash Player must be installed."
>
> The page with the links to the broadcast is titled "A
> Tribute to Notre Dame Cathedral":
> https://pipedreams.publicradio.org/listings/2020/2015/
>
> The link is titled "Audio Complete Show 1 hr 58 Min":
> https://pipedreams.publicradio.org/www_publicradio/tools/
> media_player/popup.php?name=pipedreams/2020/04/13_pipedreams_128
>
> I am running Debian 10.  Synaptic does not find in the Debian archive
> a Javascript package.  And I seem to remember that Javascript is not a
> good thing.
>
> So, is there an alternative?  I have contacted MPR, but MPR has not
> yet offered a solution.

I found this:

http://download.publicradio.org/pipedreams/2020/04/13_pipedreams_128.mp3

buried in the page source.

Use wget or curl to download it, then play with any mp3 player.

+1

Viewing Web Page Source is,  *definitely*  your Friend!

-dsr-

Kenneth Parker

Re: javascript

Curt
On 2020-04-16, Russell L. Harris <[hidden email]> wrote:
> When attempting to listen to a recorded pipe organ broadcast posted on
> a web site of Minnesota Public Radio (MPR), I am taken to a page which
> has the message,"To view this content, Javascript must be enabled and
> Adobe Flash Player must be installed."

Your browser (whose veritable identity you've kept under wraps for
security reasons) settings are blocking flash; change "Block sites from
running flash (recommended)" to "Ask first" with the slider, then reload
the page, click on the Adobe flash icon, and "Allow" rather than "Deny."

A Tribute to Notre Dame Cathedral from Dallas, Texas. Worked for me
in *my* browser.

Re: javascript

Kent West

On Thu, Apr 16, 2020 at 1:50 PM Russell L. Harris <[hidden email]> wrote:

The link is titled "Audio Complete Show 1 hr 58 Min":
https://pipedreams.publicradio.org/www_publicradio/tools/
media_player/popup.php?name=pipedreams/2020/04/13_pipedreams_128

I am running Debian 10.  Synaptic does not find in the Debian archive
a Javascript package.  And I seem to remember that Javascript is not a
good thing.

Hmm, it "just worked" for me. I'm running bullseye/sid, with Firefox 74.0, and (as revealed by "about:plugins"):
File: libfreshwrapper-flashplayer.so
Version: 32.0.0.344
State: Enabled
Shockwave Flash 32.0 r0
A new window opened, with a blocky flash icon, which I clicked on, and then had to give permission to run Flash on this site, and then their player started right up and started playing.

Kent West                    <")))><

Re: javascript

deloptes-2
Russell L. Harris wrote:

> When attempting to listen to a recorded pipe organ broadcast posted on
> a web site of Minnesota Public Radio (MPR), I am taken to a page which
> has the message,"To view this content, Javascript must be enabled and
> Adobe Flash Player must be installed."
>
> The page with the links to the broadcast is titled "A
> Tribute to Notre Dame Cathedral":
> https://pipedreams.publicradio.org/listings/2020/2015/
>
> The link is titled "Audio Complete Show 1 hr 58 Min":
> https://pipedreams.publicradio.org/www_publicradio/tools/
> media_player/popup.php?name=pipedreams/2020/04/13_pipedreams_128
>
> I am running Debian 10.  Synaptic does not find in the Debian archive
> a Javascript package.  And I seem to remember that Javascript is not a
> good thing.
>
> So, is there an alternative?  I have contacted MPR, but MPR has not
> yet offered a solution.
>
> RLH

On debian multimedia there are packages for flashplayer

ii  flashplayer-chromium                    32.0.0.344-dmo1
amd64        Flash Player for Chromium (Pepper)
ii  flashplayer-mozilla                     3:32.0.0.344-dmo1+deb10u1
amd64        Adobe Flash Player

they work pretty well.

Flash is being discontinued by Adobe, but still many sites use it and are
not migrating to HTML5.

I guess it will be required.

The java script thingie you enable/disable in your browser.

Re: javascript

John Hasler-3
Try this link:

https://www.yourclassical.org/programs/pipedreams/episodes/2020/04/13

And file a complaint with them about requiring Flash.  There is no
excuse for that.
--
John Hasler
[hidden email]
Elmwood, WI USA

Re: javascript

Jude DaShiell-3
You'll need to install some version of jre and maybe java-environment.
Maybe edbrowse could navigate you past that barrier but I have no idea
what'll be on the other side.  Edbrowse can talk some javascript but
only the parts useful for accessibility users.
Javascript is bad, the sooner python eats it and digests it so python
replaces javascript on the web probably the better for all of us screen
reader users.

On Thu, 16 Apr 2020, Russell L. Harris wrote:

> Date: Thu, 16 Apr 2020 14:49:40
> From: Russell L. Harris <[hidden email]>
> To: [hidden email]
> Subject: javascript
>
> When attempting to listen to a recorded pipe organ broadcast posted on
> a web site of Minnesota Public Radio (MPR), I am taken to a page which
> has the message,"To view this content, Javascript must be enabled and
> Adobe Flash Player must be installed."
>
> The page with the links to the broadcast is titled "A
> Tribute to Notre Dame Cathedral":
> https://pipedreams.publicradio.org/listings/2020/2015/
>
> The link is titled "Audio Complete Show 1 hr 58 Min":
> https://pipedreams.publicradio.org/www_publicradio/tools/
> media_player/popup.php?name=pipedreams/2020/04/13_pipedreams_128
>
> I am running Debian 10.  Synaptic does not find in the Debian archive
> a Javascript package.  And I seem to remember that Javascript is not a
> good thing.
>
> So, is there an alternative?  I have contacted MPR, but MPR has not
> yet offered a solution.
>
> RLH

Re: javascript

Jude DaShiell-3
That's ancient okay.  cclive may be able to get that for you.  It's a
replacement for adobe flash player.  Only thing is, you'll have the file
on your drive when cclive is done if cclive is successful.  In 2 more
years, adobe will no longer support adobe flash player it will have its
end of life.

On Thu, 16 Apr 2020, Kenneth Parker wrote:

> Date: Thu, 16 Apr 2020 15:08:44
> From: Kenneth Parker <[hidden email]>
> To: Debian Users <[hidden email]>
> Subject: Re: javascript
>
> On Thu, Apr 16, 2020 at 2:50 PM Russell L. Harris <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
> > When attempting to listen to a recorded pipe organ broadcast posted on
> > a web site of Minnesota Public Radio (MPR), I am taken to a page which
> > has the message,"To view this content, Javascript must be enabled and
> > Adobe Flash Player must be installed."
> >

> Sounds like an "ancient" Website.
>
> The page with the links to the broadcast is titled "A
> > Tribute to Notre Dame Cathedral":
> > https://pipedreams.publicradio.org/listings/2020/2015/
>

> As a lover of Classical Music, I would like to view that.
>
> What I've done before (and could "dust off"), is to Install an old version
> of Ubuntu (which I used in the Olden days) inside a Virtual Machine
> (Virtualbox in the past, but I've been experimenting, lately with
> KVM/Qemu), and enjoying the Website there.
>
> One caution:  Use that Old OS (and Browser)  *only*  for these, known Old
> Sites.  Don't browse the Open Internet there, unless you've taken a
> Snapshot, which you can Restore!
>

> The link is titled "Audio Complete Show 1 hr 58 Min":
> > https://pipedreams.publicradio.org/www_publicradio/tools/
> > media_player/popup.php?name=pipedreams/2020/04/13_pipedreams_128
> >

> Thanks again.
>
> I am running Debian 10.  Synaptic does not find in the Debian archive
> > a Javascript package.  And I seem to remember that Javascript is not a
> > good thing.
> >

> It's sites like these that "inspire" those, using Windows to keep old and
> Insecure Technology, which then get infected by Malware.
>

> > So, is there an alternative?  I have contacted MPR, but MPR has not
> > yet offered a solution.
> >

> Like I said, something old, via a Virtual Machine.  Could even be an older
> Windows release.  (But be Careful!)
>

> > RLH
> >

> Kenneth Parker

Re: javascript

Dan Ritter-4
Jude DaShiell wrote:
> You'll need to install some version of jre and maybe java-environment.

No, that's for Java applets. (JavaScript has no relationship to
Java. It's confusing on purpose.)

-dsr-

Re: javascript (roundup)

Russell L. Harris-2
On Thu, Apr 16, 2020 at 03:50:24PM -0500, John Hasler wrote:
>https://www.yourclassical.org/programs/pipedreams/episodes/2020/04/13
>
>And file a complaint with them about requiring Flash.  There is no
>excuse for that.

John Hasler:  I am glad you found that URL; it works, and I shall
bookmark it.

https://www.yourclassical.org/programs/pipedreams/episodes/2020/04/13

Curt:  I am running Firefox ESR 68.7.  It seems that about once a week
Firefox notifies me that it has automatically loaded an update and
must be restarted.  But Synaptic also shows 68.7 as the installed
version.

Dan Ritter & Kenneth Parker: The mp3 link Dan provided works.  I
searched for it in the page source, but without success; so that I can
find the link to the next program, kindly tell me where it is buried.

Andre & others:  This is a straight-out-of-the-box install of Firefox;
I do not recall disabling anything.  But in the normal menus and the
preference menu I find no mention of Flash.

It appears to me that Pepperflash is merely a wrapper, which takes you
back to Adobe and license agreement.

All that said, I would not install Flash if you held a gun on me;
there are better ways to obtain music.

I did install the Debian package "get-flash-videos" (that is the
Synaptic spelling; the package and the man page install as
"get_flash_videos"), but package appears unable to make sense of the
links on the MPR web page.

RLH

Re: javascript (roundup)

Alexander V. Makartsev
On 17.04.2020 08:15, Russell L. Harris wrote:
On Thu, Apr 16, 2020 at 03:50:24PM -0500, John Hasler wrote:

Dan Ritter & Kenneth Parker: The mp3 link Dan provided works.  I
searched for it in the page source, but without success; so that I can
find the link to the next program, kindly tell me where it is buried.

Usually fastest way to find such links is to look at logs from Developer Tools, which are bundled with Firefox.
Navigate to a desired webpage, open the tools from the menu or hit hot-key "Control+Shift+I".
Select "Network" tab and filter by "Media", "XHR", "WS", "Other".
After that start the music from a web page and link for that song should appear in the DevTools logs, ususaly in Media category.
This technique is not 100% robust, because some sites make it so the songs come up in chunks, but it will work for the majority of sites.
It can be also used to directly download videos and other parts of sites, like javascript, images, etc.
Play around with the tools to get hang of it, and of course let the OST from Mr.Robot play in the background. :-)

--
With kindest regards, Alexander.

⢀⣴⠾⠻⢶⣦⠀
⢿⡄⠘⠷⠚⠋⠀ https://www.debian.org
⠈⠳⣄⠀⠀⠀⠀

Re: javascript (roundup)

Curt
On 2020-04-17, Russell L. Harris <[hidden email]> wrote:

> https://www.yourclassical.org/programs/pipedreams/episodes/2020/04/13
>
> Curt:  I am running Firefox ESR 68.7.  It seems that about once a week
> Firefox notifies me that it has automatically loaded an update and
> must be restarted.  But Synaptic also shows 68.7 as the installed
> version.

I was kind of being a smart-ass, as usual.

I succeeded in playing the file, after seeing the same error message,
after according my browser permission to run that obsolete and
insecurity-ridden plugin that everyone has rightly advised you to avoid.

But Dan Ritter's suggestion is infinitely superior, so just download (or
stream, maybe) the mp3 embeded in the page source, and you're good to go.

The fire did miraculously spare the organ (though reconstruction
efforts have halted because of Covid-19).

When it rains, it pours.

Re: javascript (roundup)

Dan Ritter-4
Russell L. Harris wrote:

> Dan Ritter & Kenneth Parker: The mp3 link Dan provided works.  I
> searched for it in the page source, but without success; so that I can
> find the link to the next program, kindly tell me where it is buried.

I think I went to their mobile-play page in order to dig it out.

-dsr-

Re: javascript (roundup)

Curt
On 2020-04-17, Dan Ritter <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Russell L. Harris wrote:
>>
>> Dan Ritter & Kenneth Parker: The mp3 link Dan provided works.  I
>> searched for it in the page source, but without success; so that I can
>> find the link to the next program, kindly tell me where it is buried.
>
> I think I went to their mobile-play page in order to dig it out.

I went here

 https://pipedreams.publicradio.org/listings/2020/2015/

clicked on "Mobile Listeners"

ended up here

https://www.yourclassical.org/programs/pipedreams

and found the pipedreams file link (among others) in the page source.