jessie: Some GTK apps display svg pixmaps as giant icons

jessie: Some GTK apps display svg pixmaps as giant icons

Felix Natter-2
Dear gtk-gnome-maintainers,

there is a bug in GTK(?) applications (nautilus, pavucontrol, probably
more) where (svg?) icons are way too large in current jessie:

It is easily reproducible by installing vim-gtk, creating a .txt file
and selecting Open with-> ... in nautilus for that file.
(the vim icon will be huge).

Alternatively, see screenshot of "pavucontrol" with a running "scummvm"
session:
http://www2.inf.fh-brs.de/~fnatte2s/pavucontrol-large-icon.png

I have commented 765069 (nautilus) and 768256 (vim-gui-common) but does
anybody think this should be reported against GTK?

Please CC me as I am not subscribed to this list.

Thanks and Best Regards,
--
Felix Natter

Re: jessie: Some GTK apps display svg pixmaps as giant icons

Emilio Pozuelo Monfort-4
On 09/11/14 17:03, Felix Natter wrote:

> Dear gtk-gnome-maintainers,
>
> there is a bug in GTK(?) applications (nautilus, pavucontrol, probably
> more) where (svg?) icons are way too large in current jessie:

> It is easily reproducible by installing vim-gtk, creating a .txt file
> and selecting Open with-> ... in nautilus for that file.
> (the vim icon will be huge).
>
> Alternatively, see screenshot of "pavucontrol" with a running "scummvm"
> session:
> http://www2.inf.fh-brs.de/~fnatte2s/pavucontrol-large-icon.png
>
> I have commented 765069 (nautilus) and 768256 (vim-gui-common) but does
> anybody think this should be reported against GTK?

Apparently this was an intentional change in GTK+ 3.14, see

I haven't looked at the impact of it and whether it's reasonable and feasible to
revert it for Jessie. For now, it's probably best to file bugs for the
applications that broke.

Emilio

Re: jessie: Some GTK apps display svg pixmaps as giant icons

Felix Natter-2
hi Emilio,

Emilio Pozuelo Monfort <[hidden email]> writes:

> On 09/11/14 17:03, Felix Natter wrote:
>> Dear gtk-gnome-maintainers,
>>
>> there is a bug in GTK(?) applications (nautilus, pavucontrol, probably
>> more) where (svg?) icons are way too large in current jessie:
>>
>> https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=765069
>> https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=768256
>>
>> It is easily reproducible by installing vim-gtk, creating a .txt file
>> and selecting Open with-> ... in nautilus for that file.
>> (the vim icon will be huge).
>>
>> Alternatively, see screenshot of "pavucontrol" with a running "scummvm"
>> session:
>> http://www2.inf.fh-brs.de/~fnatte2s/pavucontrol-large-icon.png
>>
>> I have commented 765069 (nautilus) and 768256 (vim-gui-common) but does
>> anybody think this should be reported against GTK?
>
> Apparently this was an intentional change in GTK+ 3.14, see
>
> https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=765069#49
>
> I haven't looked at the impact of it and whether it's reasonable and feasible to
> revert it for Jessie. For now, it's probably best to file bugs for the
> applications that broke.

Done.

Without intending to offend anyone, but maybe it was not a good idea to
make this change in a GTK point-release :-/

Cheers and Best Regards,
--
Felix Natter