kde error

George Adamides-2
Hello everybody

 I have downloaded and installed kde but when I try to run it I get the following message
#kpersonalizer: cannot connect to X server

Re: kde error

David Bremner-5

1) Can you be more specific?  How are you trying to start KDE? The script
startkde does not replace startx, but rather is run from within a
.xinitrc.  Most people run some kind of display manager like kdm or
gdm, which starts kde for you.

2)

   aptitude install kdat

should work.

Note the spelling of "aptitude"

Re: kde error

George Adamides-2
Well, yes  i was using startkde. So I guess I have to install kdm or gdm before running startkde, if I understood correct? And the way to install either one of them is by using aptitude install kdm for example?

I tried aptitude installl kdat and it gave me a message nothing is available to install. Any other suggestions? I search google and I found something named  kdat_3.5.7-1_i386.deb. What type of file is it and how can I install it?

Thank you all!

Re: kde error

应富鸣
On 9/4/07, George Adamides <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hello everybody
>
>  I have downloaded and installed kde but when I try to run it I get the
> following message
> #kpersonalizer: cannot connect to X server

I use KDE, too. Both startx and kdm woks fine.  What I have done is :
apt-get install xserver xfonts-base xfs kde-core
 then type startx, ok.
If you want to use kdm, just type
apt-get install kdm
/etc/init.d/kdm start
just OK

Re: kde error

damelo

Re: kde error

George Adamides-2
Hello again,
Well I tried to install the xserver so as to get kde working but I get the following message. Can anybody help me clarify what is wrong?

george:/usr/bin# apt-get -f install  xserver-xorg-core
Reading Package Lists... Done
Building Dependency Tree... Done
You might want to run 'apt-get -f install' to correct these:
  kdat: Depends: kdelibs4c2a (>= 4:3.5.7-1) but it is not going to be installed
        Depends: libc6 (>= 2.5-5) but 2.3.2.ds1-22sarge4 is to be installed
        Depends: libgcc1 (>= 1:4.1.2) but 1:3.4.3-13sarge1 is to be installed
        Depends: libqt3-mt (>= 3:3.3.7) but it is not going to be installed
        Depends: libstdc++6 (>= 4.1.2) but it is not going to be installed
  xserver-xorg-core: Depends: x11-common (>= 1:7.0.0) but it is not going to be installed
                     Depends: libc6 (>= 2.3.6-6) but 2.3.2.ds1-22sarge4 is to be installed
                     Depends: libfontenc1 but it is not going to be installed
                     Depends: libgcc1 (>= 1:4.1.1-12) but 1:3.4.3-13sarge1 is to be installed
                     Depends: libxau6 but it is not going to be installed
                     Depends: libxdmcp6 but it is not going to be installed
                     Depends: libxfont1 but it is not going to be installed
                     Depends: xserver-xorg but it is not going to be installed
E: Unmet dependencies. Try 'apt-get -f install' with no packages (or specify a solution).

THANK YOU ALL!
GEORGE

On 9/4/07, George Adamides <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hello everybody
>
>  I have downloaded and installed kde but when I try to run it I get the
> following message
> #kpersonalizer: cannot connect to X server

I use KDE, too. Both startx and kdm woks fine.  What I have done is :
apt-get install xserver xfonts-base xfs kde-core
then type startx, ok.
If you want to use kdm, just type
apt-get install kdm
/etc/init.d/kdm start
just OK

Re: kde error

Martin Steigerwald
Am Donnerstag 06 September 2007 schrieb George Adamides:
> Hello again,

Hi George,

> Well I tried to install the xserver so as to get kde working but I get
> the following message. Can anybody help me clarify what is wrong?
>
> george:/usr/bin# apt-get -f install  xserver-xorg-core
> Reading Package Lists... Done
> Building Dependency Tree... Done
> You might want to run 'apt-get -f install' to correct these:
>   kdat: Depends: kdelibs4c2a (>= 4:3.5.7-1) but it is not going to be
> installed Depends: libc6 (>= 2.5-5) but 2.3.2.ds1-22sarge4 is to be
> installed Depends: libgcc1 (>= 1:4.1.2) but 1:3.4.3-13sarge1 is to be
> installed Depends: libqt3-mt (>= 3:3.3.7) but it is not going to be
> installed Depends: libstdc++6 (>= 4.1.2) but it is not going to be
> installed xserver-xorg-core: Depends: x11-common (>= 1:7.0.0) but it is
> not going to be installed Depends: libc6 (>= 2.3.6-6) but
> 2.3.2.ds1-22sarge4 is to be installed Depends: libfontenc1 but it is
> not going to be installed Depends: libgcc1 (>= 1:4.1.1-12) but
> 1:3.4.3-13sarge1 is to be installed Depends: libxau6 but it is not
> going to be installed Depends: libxdmcp6 but it is not going to be
> installed Depends: libxfont1 but it is not going to be installed
> Depends: xserver-xorg but it is not going to be installed E: Unmet
> dependencies. Try 'apt-get -f install' with no packages (or specify a
> solution).
Where do you have the package kdat from? It seems you are running Debian
Sarge, but try to install kdat from a newer version of Debian (at least
lenny aka testing as only that contains KDE 3.5.7) which needs newer
versions of some packages than you have. I suggest removing that package
completely with aptitude purge kdat, before trying to install the correct
version of the package for Debian Sarge[1]. After removing it, you should
be able to safely install the X server and KDE core stuff by using
aptitude install xserver-xorg kde-core[1].

The kdat package is available for Sarge[2]. Thus on a Debian Sarge a
aptitude install kdat should be able to install it.

Could you please post the output

 - cat /etc/debian_version

 - cat /etc/apt/sources.list

 - apt-cache policy kdat

If you have sarge or oldstable as Debian release in your sources
list, /etc/debian_version shows 3.1 and apt-cache policy shows 4:3.3.2-1
as installable package version, you should be able to install kdat safely
on your system by simply using aptitude install kdat, *after* you have
removed that newer version you tried to install above[1].

In order to enjoy a newer version of kdat and KDE consider upgrading to
Debian Etch.

[1] if aptitude wants to remove some packages cause it thinks they are
unused and you think they are not be careful, if in doubt better use
apt-get then, if interested I can provide a detailed explaination about
that, that explaination should be available somewhere on the Debian
pages, maybe in the wiki, as well

[2] http://packages.debian.org/sarge/kdat

Ciao,
GPG: 03B0 0D6C 0040 0710 4AFA  B82F 991B EAAC A599 84C7

Re: kde error

George Adamides-2
Hello everybody
From the my debian server command line how can I print a file to network printer that is installed on a windows 2003 server?

Thank you

Am Donnerstag 06 September 2007 schrieb George Adamides:
> Hello again,

Hi George,

> [...]

list, /etc/debian_version shows 3.1 and apt-cache policy shows 4:3.3.2-1
as installable package version, you should be able to install kdat safely
on your system by simply using aptitude install kdat, *after* you have
removed that newer version you tried to install above[1].

In order to enjoy a newer version of kdat and KDE consider upgrading to
Debian Etch.

[1] if aptitude wants to remove some packages cause it thinks they are
unused and you think they are not be careful, if in doubt better use
apt-get then, if interested I can provide a detailed explaination about
that, that explaination should be available somewhere on the Debian
pages, maybe in the wiki, as well

[2] http://packages.debian.org/sarge/kdat

Ciao,
GPG: 03B0 0D6C 0040 0710 4AFA  B82F 991B EAAC A599 84C7

Boardwalk for $500? In 2007? Ha!

Re: kde error

suy (Bugzilla)
El Lunes, 10 de Septiembre de 2007, George Adamides escribió:
> From the my debian server command line how can I print a file to network
> printer that is installed on a windows 2003 server?

Please, read the following documents first:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Netiquette

You've been breaking lots of rules of netiquette since you started posting to
the list, and this message is the most annoying one, with an off topic,
breaking the thread in the worst way, etc.

--
Alex (a.k.a. suy) - GPG ID 0x0B8B0BC2
http://barnacity.net/ - Jabber ID: [hidden email]