kernel symlinks, still needed?

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
7 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

kernel symlinks, still needed?

Andrea Borgia
Hi.

AFAIK the following symlinks in "/" were required for LILO and are no
longer needed with GRUB2:
initrd.img
initrd.img.old
vmlinuz
vmlinuz.old

Is there a reason for keeping them around nowadays?

Thanks,
Andrea.

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: kernel symlinks, still needed?

Sven Joachim
On 2019-05-25 18:16 +0200, Andrea Borgia wrote:

> AFAIK the following symlinks in "/" were required for LILO and are no
> longer needed with GRUB2:
> initrd.img
> initrd.img.old
> vmlinuz
> vmlinuz.old
>
> Is there a reason for keeping them around nowadays?

If you stick to grub, not really.  You can safely delete them, and use

do_symlinks = 0

in /etc/kernel-img.conf so that they will not come back.

Cheers,
       Sven

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: kernel symlinks, still needed?

Brian
In reply to this post by Andrea Borgia
On Sat 25 May 2019 at 18:16:17 +0200, Andrea Borgia wrote:

> Hi.
>
> AFAIK the following symlinks in "/" were required for LILO and are no longer
> needed with GRUB2:
> initrd.img
> initrd.img.old
> vmlinuz
> vmlinuz.old
>
> Is there a reason for keeping them around nowadays?

Booting from a GRUB prompt can be a little easier when you know that
the kernel and initrd can be reached from /.

--
Brian.

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: kernel symlinks, still needed?

Andrea Borgia
In reply to this post by Sven Joachim
Il 25/05/19 19:24, Sven Joachim ha scritto:


> If you stick to grub, not really.  You can safely delete them, and use
> do_symlinks = 0
> in /etc/kernel-img.conf so that they will not come back.

Thanks, I've just done as you suggested :)

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: kernel symlinks, still needed?

Andrea Borgia
In reply to this post by Brian
Il 26/05/19 00:19, Brian ha scritto:

> Booting from a GRUB prompt can be a little easier when you know that
> the kernel and initrd can be reached from /.

In those cases where the system doesn't boot on its own, I dig out the
USB drive where I keep the ISOs and run from there.

It's rare enough for me that I would never think of such a use for those
links but some people might indeed find them useful.

Thanks,
Andrea.

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: kernel symlinks, still needed?

Brian
On Sun 26 May 2019 at 14:57:57 +0200, Andrea Borgia wrote:

> Il 26/05/19 00:19, Brian ha scritto:
>
> > Booting from a GRUB prompt can be a little easier when you know that
> > the kernel and initrd can be reached from /.
>
> In those cases where the system doesn't boot on its own, I dig out the USB
> drive where I keep the ISOs and run from there.

You are in Tokyo. Your laptop doesn't boot. Your USB drive is elsewhere.

> It's rare enough for me that I would never think of such a use for those
> links but some people might indeed find them useful.

It is not about you. The links do no harm whatsoever to anyone's system.
Indeed, their usefulness is evident. I hope others do not follow your
example.

--
Brian.

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: kernel symlinks, still needed?

songbird
In reply to this post by Andrea Borgia
Andrea Borgia wrote:

> Hi.
>
> AFAIK the following symlinks in "/" were required for LILO and are no
> longer needed with GRUB2:
> initrd.img
> initrd.img.old
> vmlinuz
> vmlinuz.old
>
> Is there a reason for keeping them around nowadays?

  i use refind to boot via UEFI and those links are
nice to use in the configuration file to keep the
two most recent kernels to boot from the first two
entries.

  if needed i can boot from other kernels via the
old BIOS or GRUB methods, but i haven't for some time.


  songbird  (not everyone uses GRUB