m68k meetup 2018 - second attempt

John Paul Adrian Glaubitz
Hi!

Since the last thread seems to have died down, let's try a second round.
Who would be interested in a Debian m68k meeting in 2018?

The alternatives would be Kiel at the local university or the Linuxhotel
in Essen. Since I have never been to Kiel before, I would be interested
in having the meetup there :).

Opinions?

Adrian

--
 .''`.  John Paul Adrian Glaubitz

Re: m68k meetup 2018 - second attempt

Stefan Niestegge-2

Am 10.02.2018 um 00:49 schrieb John Paul Adrian Glaubitz:

> Hi!
>
> Since the last thread seems to have died down, let's try a second round.
> Who would be interested in a Debian m68k meeting in 2018?
>
> The alternatives would be Kiel at the local university or the Linuxhotel
> in Essen. Since I have never been to Kiel before, I would be interested
> in having the meetup there :).
>
> Opinions?
>
> Adrian

Hello all,

i'd like to attend at both locations.

Greetings,
Beetle

Re: m68k meetup 2018 - second attempt

ALeX Kazik

> Since the last thread seems to have died down, let's try a second round.
> Who would be interested in a Debian m68k meeting in 2018?

I'm interested. It's just a matter of the date though.

ALeX.

On 02/10/2018 02:53 PM, ALeX Kazik wrote:
>> Since the last thread seems to have died down, let's try a second round.
>> Who would be interested in a Debian m68k meeting in 2018?
>
> I'm interested. It's just a matter of the date though.

To quote Christian's mail from last November:

> Lectures will be over on Feb 14, exams on Feb 21. After that until April the
> University should be mostly empty, but I might be away for a week or two.
> The first half of March looks good right now, the sun is coming back, so we
> could go swimming, the baltic usually does not freeze anymore in March
>
> If you want it later in the year, I would suggest late August / early
> September, like last time. It will be hot (20°C!) and sunny, no classes.
> But there I'd need to check for other conferences here first, this is the
> preferred time for meetings.

> https://lists.debian.org/debian-68k/2017/11/msg00008.html

The first half of March would be possible for me, meaning up until
the 14th of March, after that I will be gone to Japan throughout
the rest of March.

April should be fine for me.

Adrian

--
 .''`.  John Paul Adrian Glaubitz

Re: m68k meetup 2018 - second attempt

Christian T. Steigies
On Sat, Feb 10, 2018 at 03:35:52PM +0100, John Paul Adrian Glaubitz wrote:

> On 02/10/2018 02:53 PM, ALeX Kazik wrote:
> >> Since the last thread seems to have died down, let's try a second round.
> >> Who would be interested in a Debian m68k meeting in 2018?
> >
> > I'm interested. It's just a matter of the date though.
>
> To quote Christian's mail from last November:
>
> > Lectures will be over on Feb 14, exams on Feb 21. After that until April the
> > University should be mostly empty, but I might be away for a week or two.
> > The first half of March looks good right now, the sun is coming back, so we
> > could go swimming, the baltic usually does not freeze anymore in March
> >
> > If you want it later in the year, I would suggest late August / early
> > September, like last time. It will be hot (20°C!) and sunny, no classes.
> > But there I'd need to check for other conferences here first, this is the
> > preferred time for meetings.
>
> > https://lists.debian.org/debian-68k/2017/11/msg00008.html
>
> The first half of March would be possible for me, meaning up until
> the 14th of March, after that I will be gone to Japan throughout
> the rest of March.

That was back in November... since there was no interest in Kiel then, I
have made other plans. I will not be available in March.

> April should be fine for me.

I will be available in April, but since classes are starting right after
easter, I am not sure if I will be able to organize anything in Kiel then.
I strongly prefer the semesterbreak (if I need to organize anything), or at
least later in the semester when things are going smoothly. With the
different holidays coming up, for me that would be early June (Mid May is
the mini debconf in HH? End of June is Kieler Woche, thats when you go
sailing, not hacking. Hotels will be hard to find here).

Even better, September: no classes, no debconf, no snow.

But whatever you agree on, if you want me to organize something in Kiel, you
need to give me some time to ask for permssion to use the rooms, or check if
rooms are available in the guesthouse. If you can organize a meeting at the
last minute in Essen or Bonn, go for it, but I am not that flexible.

Christian

Re: m68k meetup 2018 - second attempt

Carsten Strotmann-2

John Paul Adrian Glaubitz <[hidden email]> writes:

> Hi!
>
> Since the last thread seems to have died down, let's try a second round.
> Who would be interested in a Debian m68k meeting in 2018?
>
> The alternatives would be Kiel at the local university or the Linuxhotel
> in Essen. Since I have never been to Kiel before, I would be interested
> in having the meetup there :).
>
> Opinions?
>
> Adrian

I'm interested, but it also depends on the date. September/October might
go.

Carsten

On 02/10/2018 04:28 PM, Christian T. Steigies wrote:
>> The first half of March would be possible for me, meaning up until
>> the 14th of March, after that I will be gone to Japan throughout
>> the rest of March.
>
> That was back in November... since there was no interest in Kiel then, I
> have made other plans. I will not be available in March.

Ok. Since my schedule for March is tight as well, it's probably not
the best month to target.

>> April should be fine for me.
>
> I will be available in April, but since classes are starting right after
> easter, I am not sure if I will be able to organize anything in Kiel then.
> I strongly prefer the semesterbreak (if I need to organize anything), or at
> least later in the semester when things are going smoothly. With the
> different holidays coming up, for me that would be early June (Mid May is
> the mini debconf in HH? End of June is Kieler Woche, thats when you go
> sailing, not hacking. Hotels will be hard to find here).

I had a private discussion with Stefan Niestegge and he said, he and
Carsten Strotmann would be willing to organize the event in the Linux
Hotel in Essen.

Maybe Stefan and Carsten could comment on what the options here would
be. If we can manage to arrange a meetup in Linux Hotel in April
or May, I would be fine with that, too.

> Even better, September: no classes, no debconf, no snow.
>
> But whatever you agree on, if you want me to organize something in Kiel, you
> need to give me some time to ask for permssion to use the rooms, or check if
> rooms are available in the guesthouse. If you can organize a meeting at the
> last minute in Essen or Bonn, go for it, but I am not that flexible.

Would a weekend in Essen in April be possible for you?

Adrian

--
 .''`.  John Paul Adrian Glaubitz

Re: m68k meetup 2018 - second attempt

Carsten Strotmann-2
Hallo,

John Paul Adrian Glaubitz <[hidden email]> writes:

> I had a private discussion with Stefan Niestegge and he said, he and
> Carsten Strotmann would be willing to organize the event in the Linux
> Hotel in Essen.
>
> Maybe Stefan and Carsten could comment on what the options here would
> be. If we can manage to arrange a meetup in Linux Hotel in April
> or May, I would be fine with that, too.

I'm already organizing an open source conference at Linuxhotel in April
(https://tagung.forth-ev.de/), another one would be overload for me.

May would work, or later in the year. I will check with Linuxhotel about
free weekends in May and later.

-- Carsten

Re: m68k meetup 2018 - second attempt

Carsten Strotmann-2
Hi,

> May would work, or later in the year. I will check with Linuxhotel about
> free weekends in May and later.

The Weekend 25 - 27.5. is available for a Community meetup at
Linuxhotel.

Who would be able to come on that weekend?

Carsten

Carsten Strotmann <[hidden email]> writes:

> Hi,
>

>> May would work, or later in the year. I will check with Linuxhotel about
>> free weekends in May and later.
>
> The Weekend 25 - 27.5. is available for a Community meetup at
> Linuxhotel.
>
> Who would be able to come on that weekend?

some more additional information:

Price would be 55 Euro per person for 3 days (2 nights) Friday 25.5. to
Sunday 27.5.

This includes:
 * accomodation in double room
 * breakfast Saturday and Sunday morning
 * free Wifi, Beer, Softdrinks, Coffee/Tea "flatrate"
 * large meeting room with projector, Whiteboard, Ethernet-LAN

I will sponsor an grill event on Saturday evening (if the weather is
good e.g. not raining) or Pizza for all.

Please let me know ASAP if this date would work for you, else we need to
find another date, possibly after summer.

Greetings

Carsten

Re: m68k meetup 2018 - second attempt

John Paul Adrian Glaubitz
The date is fine for me. The price, too.

> On Feb 15, 2018, at 9:57 AM, Carsten Strotmann <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> Carsten Strotmann <[hidden email]> writes:
>
>> Hi,
>>

>>> May would work, or later in the year. I will check with Linuxhotel about
>>> free weekends in May and later.
>>
>> The Weekend 25 - 27.5. is available for a Community meetup at
>> Linuxhotel.
>>
>> Who would be able to come on that weekend?
>
> some more additional information:
>
> Price would be 55 Euro per person for 3 days (2 nights) Friday 25.5. to
> Sunday 27.5.
>
> This includes:
> * accomodation in double room
> * breakfast Saturday and Sunday morning
> * free Wifi, Beer, Softdrinks, Coffee/Tea "flatrate"
> * large meeting room with projector, Whiteboard, Ethernet-LAN
>
> I will sponsor an grill event on Saturday evening (if the weather is
> good e.g. not raining) or Pizza for all.
>
> Please let me know ASAP if this date would work for you, else we need to
> find another date, possibly after summer.
>
> Greetings
>
> Carsten

Re: m68k meetup 2018 - second attempt

Ingo Jürgensmann-11
Am 15.02.2018 um 09:57 schrieb Carsten Strotmann <[hidden email]>:

> Price would be 55 Euro per person for 3 days (2 nights) Friday 25.5. to
> Sunday 27.5.
> This includes:
> * accomodation in double room
> * breakfast Saturday and Sunday morning
> * free Wifi, Beer, Softdrinks, Coffee/Tea "flatrate"
> * large meeting room with projector, Whiteboard, Ethernet-LAN

What about single rooms?

It’s more likely that I will join the meetup at Linuxhotel than in Kiel, because a) I always wanted to visit Linuxhotel and b) I could extend travel for a stay at my parents in Osnabrueck.

So, basically I’m interested to join, but I’m unsure if I fit in as I’m not a developer, so I can’t contribute that much. But I still have some BigRamPlus cards that should be put into some buildds (the memory mapping issue is still open, though).

--
Ciao...          //        http://blog.windfluechter.net
      Ingo     \X/     XMPP: [hidden email]

gpg pubkey:  http://www.juergensmann.de/ij_public_key.asc

Re: m68k meetup 2018 - second attempt

Carsten Strotmann-2
Hi Ingo,

Ingo Jürgensmann <[hidden email]> writes:

> Am 15.02.2018 um 09:57 schrieb Carsten Strotmann <[hidden email]>:
>
>> Price would be 55 Euro per person for 3 days (2 nights) Friday 25.5. to
>> Sunday 27.5.
>> This includes:
>> * accomodation in double room
>> * breakfast Saturday and Sunday morning
>> * free Wifi, Beer, Softdrinks, Coffee/Tea "flatrate"
>> * large meeting room with projector, Whiteboard, Ethernet-LAN
>
> What about single rooms?

Possible, but slightly more expensive. Probably 5 Euro/day more, 65 Euro total.

> So, basically I’m interested to join, but I’m unsure if I fit in as
> I’m not a developer, so I can’t contribute that much. But I still have
> some BigRamPlus cards that should be put into some buildds (the memory
> mapping issue is still open, though).

Neither Stefan "Beetle" nor myself are (debian m68k-) developer. But we
can help by brining our (exotic/old) hardware, help testing, help
documentation and writing "how-to's" and give moral support.

It might be good for a developer to meet users, talk to them and have
fun together.

You are much welcome.

Carsten

Am 15.02.2018 um 15:46 schrieb Carsten Strotmann:

>> Am 15.02.2018 um 09:57 schrieb Carsten Strotmann <[hidden email]>:
>>
>>> Price would be 55 Euro per person for 3 days (2 nights) Friday 25.5. to
>>> Sunday 27.5.
>>> This includes:
>>> * accomodation in double room
>>> * breakfast Saturday and Sunday morning
>>> * free Wifi, Beer, Softdrinks, Coffee/Tea "flatrate"
>>> * large meeting room with projector, Whiteboard, Ethernet-LAN

perfect.

I already requested free days (i'd have to work nightshift that
weekend). As soon they are confirmed, i will offer to help organize
the event, and Carsten will book the location.

I'd be there from about friday, high noon :)

Maybe better to wait until my holidays are confirmed.

Greets,
Stefan

On 02/16/2018 04:01 PM, Stefan Niestegge wrote:
> I already requested free days (i'd have to work nightshift that
> weekend). As soon they are confirmed, i will offer to help organize
> the event, and Carsten will book the location.

Well, I think you should wait for confirmation from other folk.

It doesn't really make sense to have a meetup if only three people
show up :).

Adrian

Am 16.02.2018 um 16:12 schrieb John Paul Adrian Glaubitz:
> On 02/16/2018 04:01 PM, Stefan Niestegge wrote:
>> I already requested free days (i'd have to work nightshift that
>> weekend). As soon they are confirmed, i will offer to help organize
>> the event, and Carsten will book the location.
>
> Well, I think you should wait for confirmation from other folk.

of course.

> It doesn't really make sense to have a meetup if only three people
> show up :).

Doesn't mkae sense to collect attenders before the organizers have
time verified, too :)

Stefan

On 16.02.18 16:12, John Paul Adrian Glaubitz wrote:

> Well, I think you should wait for confirmation from other folk.
>
> It doesn't really make sense to have a meetup if only three people
> show up :).

So far the feedback has not been overwhelming. Maybe May is not the best
time of the year.

I need to confirm with Linuxhotel next Monday. If there are not some
more people interested, I need to cancel for May and we should look for
a meeting later in the year.

Greetings

Carsten

On 02/23/2018 11:34 AM, Carsten Strotmann wrote:
> On 16.02.18 16:12, John Paul Adrian Glaubitz wrote:
>>
>> Well, I think you should wait for confirmation from other folk.
>>
>> It doesn't really make sense to have a meetup if only three people
>> show up :).
>
> So far the feedback has not been overwhelming. Maybe May is not the best
> time of the year.

Can you post the exact dates again? I am definitely interested and
I think at least Christian would be interested as well.

On 23.02.18 11:50, John Paul Adrian Glaubitz wrote:

> On 02/23/2018 11:34 AM, Carsten Strotmann wrote:
>> On 16.02.18 16:12, John Paul Adrian Glaubitz wrote:
>>>
>>> Well, I think you should wait for confirmation from other folk.
>>>
>>> It doesn't really make sense to have a meetup if only three people
>>> show up :).
>>
>> So far the feedback has not been overwhelming. Maybe May is not the best
>> time of the year.
>
> Can you post the exact dates again? I am definitely interested and
> I think at least Christian would be interested as well.

 Weekend 25 - 27.5.

-- CS

Re: m68k meetup 2018 - second attempt

Ingo Jürgensmann-10
Am 23.02.2018 um 11:34 schrieb Carsten Strotmann <[hidden email]>:

>> It doesn't really make sense to have a meetup if only three people
>> show up :).
> So far the feedback has not been overwhelming. Maybe May is not the best
> time of the year.

I think May is an excellent choice, but maybe…

> I need to confirm with Linuxhotel next Monday. If there are not some
> more people interested, I need to cancel for May and we should look for
> a meeting later in the year.

… May is a too short-term date to look for interested people. At the m68k in Kiel I was attending some years ago, there were maybe 6-8 people attending and it was back then still a supported release platform, IIRC.

I know that the Amiga scene is still quite active, like in the forum at a1k.org. I don’t think that you would gain many participants when limiting the invitation to this mailing list. Topics like GCC improvements and general portability issues also apply to Netbsd 68k and all those Amigans that port software to AmigaOS.

And what about maybe Jens Schoenfeld or other hardware vendors?

So, maybe it’s a good idea to extend the invitation to these groups as well (and find a new date).

Speaking of myself: I’m quite interested in joining, but currently I can not oversee everything that might interfere with the date and so the propability of me showing up is maybe 75%.

--
Ciao...          //        http://blog.windfluechter.net
      Ingo     \X/     XMPP: [hidden email]

gpg pubkey:  http://www.juergensmann.de/ij_public_key.asc