m68k meetup 2018 - second attempt

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
28 messages Options
12
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: m68k meetup 2018 - second attempt

Christian T. Steigies
On Fri, Feb 23, 2018 at 11:51:24AM +0100, Carsten Strotmann wrote:

> On 23.02.18 11:50, John Paul Adrian Glaubitz wrote:
> > On 02/23/2018 11:34 AM, Carsten Strotmann wrote:
> >> On 16.02.18 16:12, John Paul Adrian Glaubitz wrote:
> >>>
> >>> Well, I think you should wait for confirmation from other folk.
> >>>
> >>> It doesn't really make sense to have a meetup if only three people
> >>> show up :).
> >>
> >> So far the feedback has not been overwhelming. Maybe May is not the best
> >> time of the year.

In the last message I saw, Stefan wrote that the organizers were not even
sure about the dates yet.

> > Can you post the exact dates again? I am definitely interested and
> > I think at least Christian would be interested as well.
> >
>
>  Weekend 25 - 27.5.

I am interested, but not that week. Also, I will probably be teaching
fridays until 6pm, so I still prefer the semester break since it takes me at
least 5 hours to get to Essen.

Christian

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: m68k meetup 2018 - second attempt

Stefan Niestegge-2


Am 23.02.2018 um 12:10 schrieb Christian T. Steigies:

> On Fri, Feb 23, 2018 at 11:51:24AM +0100, Carsten Strotmann wrote:
>> On 23.02.18 11:50, John Paul Adrian Glaubitz wrote:
>>> On 02/23/2018 11:34 AM, Carsten Strotmann wrote:
>>>> On 16.02.18 16:12, John Paul Adrian Glaubitz wrote:
>>>>>
>>>>> Well, I think you should wait for confirmation from other folk.
>>>>>
>>>>> It doesn't really make sense to have a meetup if only three people
>>>>> show up :).
>>>>
>>>> So far the feedback has not been overwhelming. Maybe May is not the best
>>>> time of the year.
>
> In the last message I saw, Stefan wrote that the organizers were not even
> sure about the dates yet.

Thats because my holiday request hasn't been approved yet.
My boss is on sick leave, i sent him a message home.


Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: m68k meetup 2018 - second attempt

Stefan Niestegge-2


Am 23.02.2018 um 13:13 schrieb Stefan Niestegge:

>
>
> Am 23.02.2018 um 12:10 schrieb Christian T. Steigies:
>> On Fri, Feb 23, 2018 at 11:51:24AM +0100, Carsten Strotmann wrote:
>>> On 23.02.18 11:50, John Paul Adrian Glaubitz wrote:
>>>> On 02/23/2018 11:34 AM, Carsten Strotmann wrote:
>>>>> On 16.02.18 16:12, John Paul Adrian Glaubitz wrote:
>>>>>>
>>>>>> Well, I think you should wait for confirmation from other folk.
>>>>>>
>>>>>> It doesn't really make sense to have a meetup if only three people
>>>>>> show up :).
>>>>>
>>>>> So far the feedback has not been overwhelming. Maybe May is not the
>>>>> best
>>>>> time of the year.
>>
>> In the last message I saw, Stefan wrote that the organizers were not even
>> sure about the dates yet.
>
> Thats because my holiday request hasn't been approved yet.
> My boss is on sick leave, i sent him a message home.
>


I got a thumb up, so if we want to we can book and advertise.

Stefan

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: m68k meetup 2018 - second attempt

Carsten Strotmann-2
In reply to this post by Christian T. Steigies
Hello Christian,


Christian T. Steigies <[hidden email]> writes:


>> > Can you post the exact dates again? I am definitely interested and
>> > I think at least Christian would be interested as well.
>> >
>>
>>  Weekend 25 - 27.5.
>
> I am interested, but not that week. Also, I will probably be teaching
> fridays until 6pm, so I still prefer the semester break since it takes me at
> least 5 hours to get to Essen.
>


when would be the semester break in Q3 or Q4? I can inquire for dates at
Linuxhotel for a new date in the semester break time.

We can also meet in Kiel then.


Greetings

Carsten

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: m68k meetup 2018 - second attempt

Carsten Strotmann-2
In reply to this post by Ingo Jürgensmann-10
Hi Ingo,

Ingo Jürgensmann <[hidden email]> writes:


>
> I know that the Amiga scene is still quite active, like in the forum
> at a1k.org. I don’t think that you would gain many participants when
> limiting the invitation to this mailing list. Topics like GCC
> improvements and general portability issues also apply to Netbsd 68k
> and all those Amigans that port software to AmigaOS.

This is an excellent idea.

I will create a simple webpage that can work as a focus for the meeting
information (either for the meeting in May, or later during semester
break).


I can post to the netbsd lists, and I'm on the Amiga Osnbarueck list
(Geit and Co). I will also post on the vintage computer festival europe
mailing list. Stefan "Beetle" probably has connection to some Atari
m86k lists.


>
> And what about maybe Jens Schoenfeld or other hardware vendors?
>

I have no contacts there, but Essen would not be too far away from Jens
if I remember correctly.

> So, maybe it’s a good idea to extend the invitation to these groups as
> well (and find a new date).
>
> Speaking of myself: I’m quite interested in joining, but currently I
> can not oversee everything that might interfere with the date and so
> the propability of me showing up is maybe 75%.

Yep, let's find a new date later in the year.

Greetings

Carsten

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: m68k meetup 2018 - second attempt

John Paul Adrian Glaubitz
In reply to this post by Ingo Jürgensmann-10
On 02/23/2018 11:57 AM, Ingo Jürgensmann wrote:
> … May is a too short-term date to look for interested people. At the m68k in Kiel I was attending some years ago, there were maybe 6-8 people attending and it was back then still a supported release platform, IIRC.

Hmm, I wouldn't say that 3 months ahead for a small meetup isn't too
much of short notice.

> I know that the Amiga scene is still quite active, like in the forum at a1k.org. I don’t think that you would gain many participants when limiting the invitation to this mailing list. Topics like GCC improvements and general portability issues also apply to Netbsd 68k and all those Amigans that port software to AmigaOS.

If you send invitations to a1k.org, the number of participants could
become very large. But as long as the venue has enough capacity, I
would be fine with that.

OTOH, the more people you want to accommodate, the harder it will probably
be to be able to agree on a date.

> And what about maybe Jens Schoenfeld or other hardware vendors?

Jens is usually very busy, so I don't know whether he would be interested
to come. But if you ask on a1k.org, he will be able to read it, too.

> So, maybe it’s a good idea to extend the invitation to these groups as well (and find a new date).

I think posting on a1k.org will already cover a large audience. You
might also ask on the linux-m68k kernel mailing list.

Adrian

--
 .''`.  John Paul Adrian Glaubitz
: :' :  Debian Developer - [hidden email]
`. `'   Freie Universitaet Berlin - [hidden email]
  `-    GPG: 62FF 8A75 84E0 2956 9546  0006 7426 3B37 F5B5 F913

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: m68k meetup 2018 - second attempt

John Paul Adrian Glaubitz
In reply to this post by Carsten Strotmann-2
On 02/26/2018 06:41 PM, Carsten Strotmann wrote:
> when would be the semester break in Q3 or Q4? I can inquire for dates at
> Linuxhotel for a new date in the semester break time.

See: https://www.studium.uni-kiel.de/de/studium-organisieren/termine-fristen

--
 .''`.  John Paul Adrian Glaubitz
: :' :  Debian Developer - [hidden email]
`. `'   Freie Universitaet Berlin - [hidden email]
  `-    GPG: 62FF 8A75 84E0 2956 9546  0006 7426 3B37 F5B5 F913

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: m68k meetup 2018 - second attempt

Christian T. Steigies
On Mon, Feb 26, 2018 at 07:52:15PM +0100, John Paul Adrian Glaubitz wrote:
> On 02/26/2018 06:41 PM, Carsten Strotmann wrote:
> > when would be the semester break in Q3 or Q4? I can inquire for dates at
> > Linuxhotel for a new date in the semester break time.
>
> See: https://www.studium.uni-kiel.de/de/studium-organisieren/termine-fristen

Wow, Adrian knows our websites better than me ;-)
But seriously, you should try to make sure to get people like Geert, Michael
or Finn to attend if you want to do some kernel work.

If you want to organize a bigger meeting (more people is always better),
maybe use something like this to make sure to get most people to attend:

https://tester.dfn.de/

I do not know the Linux Hotel or how many people could attend a meeting, but
if there is a big enough meeting room, I am sure people can find other
hotels if Linux Hotel runs out of space.  Essen is probably easier to reach
for more people than Kiel.  In case you decide for Kiel, we could get
seminar rooms of different sizes.  Last time we had the big lecture hall for
a public lecture by Roman, which was quite well attended.

Or we attach to an already existing meeting (like in the old days in
Oldenburg):
http://kilux.de/index.php
They have lectures and an exhibition for projects, but nothing like hacklabs
I think, but we could use the institute on sunday for that.

But why not start with a smaller meeting, maybe you find enough people to
attend in May, and find out if you want to go for something bigger next
time? I do not have to be there in May, but you should try to get Geert or
other active kernel hackers.

Christian

12