minidebconf Berlin June 10/11?

Jan Hauke Rahm-2
Hi everyone,

first of all excuse the cross-posting but this subject supposedly is of
wider interest. Replies can probably be kept to -events.eu.

A rather small team of enthusiastic Free Software contributors has met
quite a few times during the last weeks (admittedly with low direct
Debian involvement).  There are people from sidux (a sid based distro)
and Skolelinux who Debian has been working with closely when possible
over years already.  Also members of LinuxTag e.V. (the association that
organizes the LinuxTag in Berlin) are part of the group.

The goal was to come up with a concept for a mini-debconf in Berlin
during the LinuxTag in June 9th to 12th.  And we can now say, there is
one.  Unfortunately it's not as promising as we hoped it would be which
means: we need you!

Right now we're at about this:

Calculated costs:  € 6.000
Promised sponsors: € 1.200

Additionally Steve told us Debian would give € 2.000 if needed.  Of
course we would like to avoid that.

As usual a lot can be gained by self-organized materials and sponsored
or lent equipment, like beamer, audio/video stuff, network
installation...

When we first sent out the idea of having a minidebconf in Berlin there
were several DDs who supported it.  As a matter of fact, to the meetings
and online discussions only two of them ever showed up.  Other
contributors showed interest in it but actually, right now we need more
than a "sounds cool, would be fun" -- we need real support.

This is supposed to be a big opportunity for us (at least all of us who
live in and around Germany but of course everyone is invited) and to
Debian wrt publicity.  The LinuxTag has during its four days round about
10,000 visitors.  There are various distributions of Free Software
projects that exchange ideas and comments.

Following our current concept we would use two days in the middle of the
event having our own Debian area (additionally to the Debian booth at
LinuxTag itself) where we can have talks and BOFs about various aspects
of Debian.  Those can be (and we think that would be great) interesting
to DDs as well as visitors.  In another room we would have space to
work, possibly having a public bug squashing party and thus actively
working on the release and have interested people take part in it.  We
are in freeze by then, right?

But to make all this happen, there is still a lot to do. Are you -- no
-- are we willing to take that chance? Since we're bound to contracts,
we need to decide ASAP, this weekend actually.  So, if you know where to
get money or equipment, if you think you can come and help installing
the hardware (video, stage whatever), if you want to talk about anything
in Debian (German preferred but a few english talks would be cool, too),
or if you just have ideas what to talk about (and have possible
candidates to do so), this is YOUR time to step up.

We'd like to make things happen, but it's a miniDEBconf, so... Debian?

Hauke
on behalf of the team

Re: minidebconf Berlin June 10/11? url?

Sven Guckes-3
* Jan Hauke Rahm <[hidden email]> [2010-03-24 10:39]:
> .. a mini-debconf in Berlin during the LinuxTag in June 9th to 12th.
> And we can now say, there is one.  Unfortunately it's not as
> promising as we hoped it would be which means: we need you!

does this message and the project have a website?
if so then we could post about it.

Sven

Re: minidebconf Berlin June 10/11?

Judit Foglszinger-2
> if you think you can come and help installing
> the hardware (video, stage whatever),
I could help with setup from Sunday 06.06. evening (about 20 o'clock)
and generally have time until Monday 14.06. midday (about 14 o'clock).

Re: minidebconf Berlin June 10/11?

Sebastian Feltel
Hello Hauke,

Jan Hauke Rahm schrieb am 24.03.2010 10:14:

> But to make all this happen, there is still a lot to do. Are you -- no
> -- are we willing to take that chance? Since we're bound to contracts,
> we need to decide ASAP, this weekend actually.  So, if you know where to
> get money or equipment, if you think you can come and help installing
> the hardware (video, stage whatever), if you want to talk about anything
> in Debian (German preferred but a few english talks would be cool, too),
> or if you just have ideas what to talk about (and have possible
> candidates to do so), this is YOUR time to step up.

as discussed at the CLT2010 I would happily manning a small
debianforum.de booth at the miniDebconf if this is desired. I also
posted your announcement on
https://debianforum.de/forum/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=118139 to get a little
bit wider audience.

Regards,
Sebastian

--
debianforum.de - die deutschsprachige Supportwebseite rund
um das Debian-Projekt              <http://debianforum.de>

Re: minidebconf Berlin June 10/11? url?

devil (Bugzilla)
Am Mittwoch 24 März 2010 10:48:18 schrieb Sven Guckes:
> * Jan Hauke Rahm <[hidden email]> [2010-03-24 10:39]:
> > .. a mini-debconf in Berlin during the LinuxTag in June 9th to 12th.
> > And we can now say, there is one.  Unfortunately it's not as
> > promising as we hoped it would be which means: we need you!
>
> does this message and the project have a website?
> if so then we could post about it.
>
> Sven

there will be a wiki tonight or tomorrow, announced here.

ferdi

Am Mittwoch 24 März 2010 14:05:12 schrieb Judit Foglszinger:
> > if you think you can come and help installing
> > the hardware (video, stage whatever),
>
> I could help with setup from Sunday 06.06. evening (about 20 o'clock)
> and generally have time until Monday 14.06. midday (about 14 o'clock).

thanks much for the offer.
we will get to you when we start planning for helpers

ferdi

Re: minidebconf Berlin June 10/11? url?

Joey Schulze
Sven Guckes wrote:
> * Jan Hauke Rahm <[hidden email]> [2010-03-24 10:39]:
> > .. a mini-debconf in Berlin during the LinuxTag in June 9th to 12th.
> > And we can now say, there is one.  Unfortunately it's not as
> > promising as we hoped it would be which means: we need you!
>
> does this message and the project have a website?
> if so then we could post about it.

Coordination is probably best done via wiki.debian.org.

Regards,

        Joey

--
We all know Linux is great... it does infinite loops in 5 seconds.
        -- Linus Torvalds

Re: minidebconf Berlin June 10/11? url?

devil (Bugzilla)
Am Mittwoch 24 März 2010 10:48:18 schrieb Sven Guckes:
> * Jan Hauke Rahm <[hidden email]> [2010-03-24 10:39]:
> > .. a mini-debconf in Berlin during the LinuxTag in June 9th to 12th.
> > And we can now say, there is one.  Unfortunately it's not as
> > promising as we hoped it would be which means: we need you!
>
> does this message and the project have a website?
> if so then we could post about it.
>
> Sven

We have set up a wiki page at:
http://wiki.debconf.org/wiki/Miniconf-LT-Berlin/2010
Please spread the news.

regards
ferdinand

Re: minidebconf Berlin June 10/11!

devil (Bugzilla)
let me announce, on behalf of the team, that we decided we will set up the mini-debconf during
LinuxTag 2010 in Berlin. As Hauke pointed out we see this as a great opportunity for Debian as well
as for the LinuxTag conference.

I will outline what we see as the core points of this mini-conf:

Given that we will (hopefuly) be in freeze by June this is a good chance for Debian to get together
and work on Debian 6 face to face in a nice atmosphere. Given also that not everybody is willing or
able to visit DebConf10 in NYC this is a way to collaborate for German and European developers.
We are also negotiating with LXDE developers for them to come and join in to prepare LXDE for
Squeeze.

As a second strong point we see that LinuxTag has about 10.000 visitors and hundreds of people from
about 80 free and open source projects exhibiting there. We see it as a great opportunity for Debian
to interest and attract new people to the project, show openness and pride and line out what it
takes to be involed in Debian. There has been a lot of discussion on how Debian should be more open
for non-coders in the past and also on debian-vote list in the ongoing DPL campaign. That point
could be emphasized to the visitors of the conference.

Along the lines of those 2 points we are thinking of creating a mixed program of talks and panel
discussions consisting of talks interesting for debian people and beginners talks that attract
visitors of LinuxTag.

We have been able to straighten out the financial side of the conference (still looking for sponsors
though). Now we need you to commit to this by saying you will participate in different ways, like
holding talks, running an info point, helping with the setup ahead of the event or just by being
there to make this a success for Debian as well as LinuxTag.
We have set up a wiki for this at http://wiki.debconf.org/wiki/Miniconf-LT-Berlin/2010 and we really
hope to see your commitment there soon. You can also contact us directly at IRC channel OFTC
#debian-miniconf-berlin if you have money, hardware, questions, ideas and good wishes :)
So, lets make this thing happen!

on behalf of the team:
ferdinand

Re: minidebconf Berlin June 10/11!

Andreas Tille-5
On Wed, Mar 31, 2010 at 11:43:14AM +0200, Ferdinand Thommes wrote:
> let me announce, on behalf of the team, that we decided we will set up the mini-debconf during
> LinuxTag 2010 in Berlin. As Hauke pointed out we see this as a great opportunity for Debian as well
> as for the LinuxTag conference.

Great.  Any reason to not announce this on debian-devel-announce?

> We have set up a wiki for this at http://wiki.debconf.org/wiki/Miniconf-LT-Berlin/2010 and we really
> hope to see your commitment there soon.

???
Didn't somebody mention a PentaBarf instance for conference organisation?
Do you really want to maintain it in the Wiki?

Kind regards

        Andreas.

--
http://fam-tille.de

Re: minidebconf Berlin June 10/11!

Alexander Reichle-Schmehl-2
Hi!

Andreas Tille schrieb:

>> let me announce, on behalf of the team, that we decided we will set up the mini-debconf during
>> LinuxTag 2010 in Berlin. As Hauke pointed out we see this as a great opportunity for Debian as well
>> as for the LinuxTag conference.
> Great.  Any reason to not announce this on debian-devel-announce?

Yes, it will also be sent do debian-news{-german} at the same time ;)

Best regards,
   Alexander

Am Mittwoch 31 März 2010 12:10:19 schrieb Andreas Tille:
> On Wed, Mar 31, 2010 at 11:43:14AM +0200, Ferdinand Thommes wrote:
> > let me announce, on behalf of the team, that we decided we will set up
> > the mini-debconf during LinuxTag 2010 in Berlin. As Hauke pointed out we
> > see this as a great opportunity for Debian as well as for the LinuxTag
> > conference.
>
> Great.  Any reason to not announce this on debian-devel-announce?
Hi Andreas,
Tolimar will take care of multiplying the news as he already stated.
> > We have set up a wiki for this at
> > http://wiki.debconf.org/wiki/Miniconf-LT-Berlin/2010 and we really hope
> > to see your commitment there soon.
>
> ???
> Didn't somebody mention a PentaBarf instance for conference organisation?
> Do you really want to maintain it in the Wiki?
Yes, there is, but, as noone in the team at the moment is familiar with PentaBarf and time is short
we will for now proceed with the wiki and try to find someone willing to run PentaBarf.

regards
ferdinand
> Kind regards
>
>         Andreas.

Re: minidebconf Berlin June 10/11!

Holger Levsen-2
Hi,

On Mittwoch, 31. März 2010, Ferdinand Thommes wrote:
> Yes, there is, but, as noone in the team at the moment is familiar with
> PentaBarf and time is short we will for now proceed with the wiki and try
> to find someone willing to run PentaBarf.

just use penta.debconf.org?!?

cheers,
        Holger

Re: minidebconf Berlin June 10/11!

devil (Bugzilla)
what i forgot to mention is that CfP for minidebconf Berlin 2010 is open until 2010-4-30.
As can be seen in the wiki at http://wiki.debconf.org/wiki/Miniconf-LT-Berlin/2010 we already have
about one day filled with talks. To make this conference a success we need about 6 more talks and
also more people taking part in the BSP. Please sign up if you want to take part.

regards
Ferdinand