mkinitrd problem

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
3 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

mkinitrd problem

Max Gregis
Hello,

This is Max from Milan, Italy.
I'm trying to compile a new kernel (2.6.14.5) downloaded from
kernel.org, of course.

I've a Ubunt 5.10 with kernel 2.6.12.10.

I've created my .config, i've made "make...make modules....make
modules_install".
So far so good.

But when i try to create my initrd.img with mkinitrd, these errors are
visualized:

In /boot dir i exec....

mkinitrd -o initrd.img-2.6.14.5

and these messages appares

find: warning: you have specified the -mindepth option after a
non-option argument -type, but options are not positional (-mindepth
affects tests specified before it as well as those specified after it).
Please specify options before other arguments.

find: warning: you have specified the -maxdepth option after a
non-option argument -type, but options are not positional (-maxdepth
affects tests specified before it as well as those specified after it).
Please specify options before other arguments.

find: warning: you have specified the -mindepth option after a
non-option argument -type, but options are not positional (-mindepth
affects tests specified before it as well as those specified after it).
Please specify options before other arguments.

find: warning: you have specified the -maxdepth option after a
non-option argument -type, but options are not positional (-maxdepth
affects tests specified before it as well as those specified after it).
Please specify options before other arguments.


and my initrd.img file is not created.

Please, Could you help me?

Thanks in advance.

Max



--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to [hidden email]
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: mkinitrd problem

Sven Luther
On Thu, Jan 05, 2006 at 09:19:29AM +0100, Max Gregis wrote:
> Hello,
>
> This is Max from Milan, Italy.
> I'm trying to compile a new kernel (2.6.14.5) downloaded from
> kernel.org, of course.
>
> I've a Ubunt 5.10 with kernel 2.6.12.10.

/me wonders if the ubuntu mailing lists are so unfriendly that you couldn't
ask there :)

> I've created my .config, i've made "make...make modules....make
> modules_install".
> So far so good.
>
> But when i try to create my initrd.img with mkinitrd, these errors are
> visualized:
>
> In /boot dir i exec....
>
> mkinitrd -o initrd.img-2.6.14.5

mkinitrd is no more supported for kernels bigger than 2.6.12, please use
initramfs-tools or yaird.

Friendly,

Sven Luther


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to [hidden email]
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: mkinitrd problem

Max Gregis
Hi Sve,

thanks for your advices.
In fact mkinitramfs runs better than mkinitrd....

now i just have an error message during boot, just after uncompressing
initrd image:

PCI: Failed to allocate I/O resource #7:1000@10000 for 0000:00:1e.0


but after les than a second my linux starts correctly.....

i don't know how that boot message is important or dangerous.

Max



Sven Luther wrote:

>On Thu, Jan 05, 2006 at 09:19:29AM +0100, Max Gregis wrote:
>  
>
>>Hello,
>>
>>This is Max from Milan, Italy.
>>I'm trying to compile a new kernel (2.6.14.5) downloaded from
>>kernel.org, of course.
>>
>>I've a Ubunt 5.10 with kernel 2.6.12.10.
>>    
>>
>
>/me wonders if the ubuntu mailing lists are so unfriendly that you couldn't
>ask there :)
>
>  
>
>>I've created my .config, i've made "make...make modules....make
>>modules_install".
>>So far so good.
>>
>>But when i try to create my initrd.img with mkinitrd, these errors are
>>visualized:
>>
>>In /boot dir i exec....
>>
>>mkinitrd -o initrd.img-2.6.14.5
>>    
>>
>
>mkinitrd is no more supported for kernels bigger than 2.6.12, please use
>initramfs-tools or yaird.
>
>Friendly,
>
>Sven Luther
>
>
>  
>


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to [hidden email]
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact [hidden email]