modprobe for module at boot time?

Ishwar Rattan

I am running a Debian derivative system. I would like
the system to insert a module at boot time. So, how
do I indicate it (which file /etc should contain the
directive)?

-ishwar

Re: modprobe for module at boot time?

Joseph H. Fry
On Tuesday 29 November 2005 4:17 pm, Ishwar Rattan wrote:
> I am running a Debian derivative system. I would like
> the system to insert a module at boot time. So, how
> do I indicate it (which file /etc should contain the
> directive)?
>
> -ishwar

The really easy way!

install modconf (aptitude install modconf AS root)

run modconf

locate and select the module you want to load

if it's already loaded it will ask you if you want to unload... say yes then
procede to next step

if not already loaded it will ask if you want to load it... say yes

it will ask you for command line arguments... enter any necessary

select ok and it will load it immediately and on subsequent reboots

Good Luck,

Joe

Re: modprobe for module at boot time?

lgrinberg (Bugzilla)
If you want modules to be loaded at boot time, enter in their names in
/etc/modules (you will need root permissions for this.)

Re: modprobe for module at boot time?

Jim Holland-2
Hi

On Tue, 29 Nov 2005, Leonid Grinberg wrote:

> If you want modules to be loaded at boot time, enter in their names in
> /etc/modules (you will need root permissions for this.)

This file contains only a handful of entries - far less than the number of
modules that are actually loaded.  Are there other locations that also
specify modules that should be loaded?

Regards

Jim Holland
System Administrator
MANGO - Zimbabwe's non-profit e-mail service