~/.mplayer/subfont.ttf

cc-5
I installed mplayer and when I click on the icon i get
~/.mplayer/subfont.ttf.
I installed mplayer numerous ways. From a .bz2, .deb and compiling it
from instructions which seems to work bur I get the same error.
Lest something think I did not do homework, I goggled forever and found
a few examples for people who had the same problem and tried the
solutions to no avail. I found out about something called symlink which
I googled to death as well. I tried creating a subfont.ttf in the
~/.mplayer directory, I even copied and pasted some fonts both in
~/mplayer and in ~/.mplayer/subfont.ttf, I got the fonts from
/usr/share/fonts. I tried to do a symlink, I reasearched symlink and
came up with the ln command and tried to link the ./mplayer/subfont.ttf
with a font in /usr/share/fonts.
Obviously I dont know what the hell I am doing. Noob syndrom, sorry.
Could someone please help me by telling me in plain english what I need
to do or direct me to someplace that gives the solution in non-uber geek
language.

TIA
Charlie

Re: ~/.mplayer/subfont.ttf

Alvin Oga

On Sat, 17 Dec 2005, Charlie wrote:

> I installed mplayer and when I click on the icon i get
> ~/.mplayer/subfont.ttf.

cd ~/.mplayer
ln -s /usr/share/fonts/truetype/freefont/FreeSerif.ttf subfont.ttf

use whatever *.ttf file you want ...

c ya
alvin

RE: ~/.mplayer/subfont.ttf

Nuno Vasconcellos
There's a way to solve this via mplayer menu. Do the following:
Start mplayer. Click OK for the error message about the subfont.
Right-click on any part of mplayer to access its menu.
Go to preferences (there would appear a warning message, just click OK).
Click on font tab.
Browse the font you like.
I am OK with this, if you like, you can copy and paste for you:
/usr/share/fonts/truetype/msttcorefonts/Arial.ttf

Hope that helps.

Nuno Vasconcellos

Nuno Vasconcellos wrote:

> There's a way to solve this via mplayer menu. Do the following:
> Start mplayer. Click OK for the error message about the subfont.
> Right-click on any part of mplayer to access its menu.
> Go to preferences (there would appear a warning message, just click OK).
> Click on font tab.
> Browse the font you like.
> I am OK with this, if you like, you can copy and paste for you:
> /usr/share/fonts/truetype/msttcorefonts/Arial.ttf
>
> Hope that helps.
>
> Nuno Vasconcellos

Thanks, it worked. So easy when you know how.

Re: ~/.mplayer/subfont.ttf

cc-5
Alvin Oga wrote:

>On Sat, 17 Dec 2005, Charlie wrote:
>

>>I installed mplayer and when I click on the icon i get
>>~/.mplayer/subfont.ttf.
>>

>cd ~/.mplayer
>ln -s /usr/share/fonts/truetype/freefont/FreeSerif.ttf subfont.ttf
>
>use whatever *.ttf file you want ...
>
>c ya
>alvin

Thanks, it worked. I was doing the ln -s backwards

Charlie