need help of Octave language expert

Atsuhito Kohda
Hi all,

I, a maintainer of TeXmacs, try to make TeXmacs as sane
as possible before squeeze release.

I noticed recently that if one starts Octave plugin under
TeXmacs, it displays an error messages as follows:

-----------------
parse error near line 8 of file
/usr/share/texmacs/TeXmacs/plugins/octave/octave/.octaverc

  syntax error

                 ^

parse error near line 8 of file
/usr/share/texmacs/TeXmacs/plugins/octave/octave/.octaverc

  syntax error

>>>    gset terminal postscript eps enhanced color;
                                ^

parse error near line 8 of file
/usr/share/texmacs/TeXmacs/plugins/octave/octave/.octaverc

  syntax error

>>>    gset terminal postscript eps enhanced color;
                                              ^

parse error near line 8 of file
/usr/share/texmacs/TeXmacs/plugins/octave/octave/.octaverc

  syntax error

>>>    gset terminal postscript eps enhanced color;
                                               ^

parse error near line 9 of file
/usr/share/texmacs/TeXmacs/plugins/octave/octave/.octaverc

  syntax error

>>>    gset size 0.5,0.5;
             ^

error: near line 9 of file
`/usr/share/texmacs/TeXmacs/plugins/octave/octave/.octaverc'
error: near line 1 of file `tm-start.oct'
  Dead

Octave]
-----------------

I don't know if Octave plugin starts or fails to start but anyway
this is very annoying.
I suspect that TeXmacs plugin for Octave is obsolete but, as
I don't know Octave language at all, so I request a help of Octave
language expert.

ii  octave3.0   1:3.0.5-7+b1   GNU Octave language for numerical computatio
ii  texmacs     1:1.0.7.3-3    WYSIWYG mathematical text editor using TeX f

I attach problematic files mentioned in the above messsages.
If someone finds any fix, I greatly appreciate.
Thanks in advance.

Best regards,            2010-3-10(Wed)

--
 Debian Developer - much more I18N of Debian
 Atsuhito Kohda <kohda AT debian.org>

octave-files.tar.gz (620 bytes) Download Attachment

Re: need help of Octave language expert

Thomas Weber-8
Hi,

I'm cc'ing debian-devel, so people see that there is an answer. If
whoever wants to continue the discussion, please strongly consider
dropping debian-devel -- the list is noisy enough.

On Wed, Mar 10, 2010 at 12:06:06PM +0900, Atsuhito Kohda wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I, a maintainer of TeXmacs, try to make TeXmacs as sane
> as possible before squeeze release.
>
> I noticed recently that if one starts Octave plugin under
> TeXmacs, it displays an error messages as follows:
>
> -----------------
> parse error near line 8 of file
> /usr/share/texmacs/TeXmacs/plugins/octave/octave/.octaverc
>
>   syntax error

Directly accessing gnuplot (which is what 'gset' did) is deprecated in
octave3.0 and even more in the 3.2 series. Spending time on this issue
is probably wasted, unless TeXmacs' upstream is willing to adapt the
necessary changes.

Following
http://old.nabble.com/octave-plugin-maintainership-td26618436.html
it seems Mansour Moufid wanted to take over maintenance of the plugin. I
suggest getting in contact with him.

> I attach problematic files mentioned in the above messsages.
> If someone finds any fix, I greatly appreciate.

In essence, the plot commands in the file need a rewrite. Sorry, but my
problem is just the other way round: I have zero knowledge about
TeXmacs.

        Thomas

Re: need help of Octave language expert

Atsuhito Kohda
Hi Thomas,

On Wed, 10 Mar 2010 08:34:33 +0100, Thomas Weber wrote:

> I'm cc'ing debian-devel, so people see that there is an answer. If
> whoever wants to continue the discussion, please strongly consider
> dropping debian-devel -- the list is noisy enough.

Sorry for additional noise.

> Directly accessing gnuplot (which is what 'gset' did) is deprecated in
> octave3.0 and even more in the 3.2 series. Spending time on this issue
> is probably wasted, unless TeXmacs' upstream is willing to adapt the
> necessary changes.
>
> Following
> http://old.nabble.com/octave-plugin-maintainership-td26618436.html
> it seems Mansour Moufid wanted to take over maintenance of the plugin. I
> suggest getting in contact with him.

Okay, I'll contact him later.  Thanks for your advice.

Best regards,             2010-3-10(Wed)