net-tools maintenance status

Olaf van der Spek-2
Hi,

What's the maintenance status of the net-tools package?
It has 88 bugs:
Serious policy violations - outstanding (1 bug)
Important bugs - outstanding (8 bugs)
Normal bugs - outstanding (38 bugs)
Minor bugs - outstanding (9 bugs)
Wishlist items - outstanding (32 bugs)

A lot older than a year, 17 with patch a lot even without a single response.

I emailed a patch to Bernd two months ago but I'm still waiting for a response.

http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/pkgreport.cgi?pkg=net-tools
http://packages.qa.debian.org/n/net-tools.html

Re: net-tools maintenance status

Bernd Eckenfels-2
On Tue, Aug 02, 2005 at 07:45:12PM +0200, Olaf van der Spek wrote:
> What's the maintenance status of the net-tools package?

It is maintained. Patches are welcome.

http://packages.qa.debian.org/n/net-tools.html

Which patch are you talking about?

Greetings
Bernd
--
  (OO)     -- Bernd_Eckenfels@Mörscher_Strasse_8.76185Karlsruhe.de --
 ( .. )    ecki@{inka.de,linux.de,debian.org}  http://www.eckes.org/

The one for --wide

Re: net-tools maintenance status

Olaf van der Spek-2
On 8/2/05, Bernd Eckenfels <[hidden email]> wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 02, 2005 at 07:45:12PM +0200, Olaf van der Spek wrote:
> > What's the maintenance status of the net-tools package?
>
> It is maintained. Patches are welcome.
>
> http://packages.qa.debian.org/n/net-tools.html
>
> Which patch are you talking about?

The one for --wide
Did you find it already?

Re: net-tools maintenance status

Adam D. Barratt-2
On Friday, August 05, 2005 3:42 PM, Olaf van der Spek <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> On 8/2/05, Bernd Eckenfels <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> On Tue, Aug 02, 2005 at 07:45:12PM +0200, Olaf van der Spek wrote:
>>> What's the maintenance status of the net-tools package?
>>
>> It is maintained. Patches are welcome.
>>
>> http://packages.qa.debian.org/n/net-tools.html
>>
>> Which patch are you talking about?
>
> The one for --wide
> Did you find it already?

Any particular reason you didn't mail it to #222324? (I'm assuming that's
the bug you're referring to; it's the only open bug against net-tools that
mentions --wide, and neither of the bugs you've reported contain a patch)

Regards,

Adam

On 8/5/05, Adam D. Barratt <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Friday, August 05, 2005 3:42 PM, Olaf van der Spek <[hidden email]>
> wrote:

> >> It is maintained. Patches are welcome.
> >>
> >> http://packages.qa.debian.org/n/net-tools.html
> >>
> >> Which patch are you talking about?
> >
> > The one for --wide
> > Did you find it already?
>
> Any particular reason you didn't mail it to #222324? (I'm assuming that's

No (or can't remember).
Maybe because it's quite a big change and I didn't have the final
version ready the first time I mailed it (and I didn't want to 'flood'
that bug.

Yes, it's about that bug.

In article <[hidden email]> you wrote:
> Yes, it's about that bug.

I have attached it to the bug.

Greetings
Bernd

Thanks. But: It's not ready yet, but what do you think of it?

Re: net-tools maintenance status

Bernd Eckenfels
In article <[hidden email]> you wrote:
>> I have attached it to the bug.
> Thanks. But: It's not ready yet, but what do you think of it?

It is not ready yet :)

No seriously I think the idea with having the column width in *_width is
fine. I would add a calculation of it based on COLUMS if and only if COLUMNS
is > 80 and --wide is given. I am not sure how to react if output is not a
tty. One option is to always asume a very wide line, the other is to stick
with columns. For beeing compatible with parsing scripts I think the output
without wide option should not change (however I think everybody who is
arsing netstat output is insane)

Bernd

PS: please use unified diffs -u, better readable.

Re: net-tools maintenance status

Olaf van der Spek-2
On 8/5/05, Bernd Eckenfels <[hidden email]> wrote:
> In article <[hidden email]> you wrote:
> >> I have attached it to the bug.
> > Thanks. But: It's not ready yet, but what do you think of it?
>
> It is not ready yet :)

Didn't I (also) send you a much later version?

> No seriously I think the idea with having the column width in *_width is
> fine. I would add a calculation of it based on COLUMS if and only if COLUMNS
> is > 80 and --wide is given. I am not sure how to react if output is not a
> tty. One option is to always asume a very wide line, the other is to stick
> with columns. For beeing compatible with parsing scripts I think the output
> without wide option should not change (however I think everybody who is
> arsing netstat output is insane)

The later version auto-sets the wide option if there's a tty and
detects the width of the tty.

Re: net-tools maintenance status

Bernd Eckenfels
In article <[hidden email]> you wrote:
> Didn't I (also) send you a much later version?

Hmm.. I cant find that, but yes I thin u did. Can you dig that up?

Bernd

Sure: http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=222324&msg=19

Just one more question: what happened to my original emails?

Re: net-tools maintenance status

Olaf van der Spek-2
Bump.

On Thu, Aug 11, 2005 at 09:23:12AM +0200, Olaf van der Spek wrote:
> Just one more question: what happened to my original emails?

I read them. Most likely I saved the wrong one for further processing. Thats
why it is a good idea to copy the bug report. Sorry for your double work.

Gruss
Bernd

On 8/11/05, Bernd Eckenfels <[hidden email]> wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 11, 2005 at 09:23:12AM +0200, Olaf van der Spek wrote:
> > Just one more question: what happened to my original emails?
>
> I read them. Most likely I saved the wrong one for further processing. Thats
> why it is a good idea to copy the bug report. Sorry for your double work.

Thanks, I'll keep them in mind.
When can the patch be expected in unstable?

Eh, bump, please?

Re: net-tools maintenance status

Bernd Eckenfels
In article <[hidden email]> you wrote:
> Eh, bump, please?

http://net-tools.berlios.de

Gruss
Bernd

Great, but when?

On 8/2/05, Olaf van der Spek <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> What's the maintenance status of the net-tools package?
> It has 88 bugs:
> Serious policy violations - outstanding (1 bug)
> Important bugs - outstanding (8 bugs)
> Normal bugs - outstanding (38 bugs)
> Minor bugs - outstanding (9 bugs)
> Wishlist items - outstanding (32 bugs)
>
> A lot older than a year, 17 with patch a lot even without a single response.
>
> I emailed a patch to Bernd two months ago but I'm still waiting for a response.
>
> http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/pkgreport.cgi?pkg=net-tools
> http://packages.qa.debian.org/n/net-tools.html

I'm afraid I have to ask the same question again (three months later).
What's the status of this package in general and my patch in particular?
There was some discussion about it, but nothing really happened.

On Mon, Oct 24, 2005 at 02:21:04PM +0200, Olaf van der Spek wrote:
> I'm afraid I have to ask the same question again (three months later).
> What's the status of this package in general and my patch in particular?
> There was some discussion about it, but nothing really happened.

there was no consensus on the patch yet, if i see that correctly.

Gruss
Bernd