network installer will not boot

Blair, Charles E III
   I am trying to install debian on
an Intel NUC with a DVD device attached.  I
downloaded the network installer, then
burnt it to a CD on a different computer.

   When I put it in the new computer and
start it, I get the message:

--
My e-mail is unreliable.
Please try again if no reply in several days.

gpg: F7C9 B577 1E5D C732 63F1  A9D2 A399 D202 50E8 50D1

Re: network installer will not boot

Thomas Schmitt
Hi,

Blair, Charles E III wrote:
> Image Authorization Fail.

Googling
  EFI "Image Authorization Fail"
yields lots of advise to disable Secure Boot or to switch to legacy CSM mode.

Have a nice day :)

Thomas

Re: Re: network installer will not boot

Blair, Charles E III
   Thank you.  I seem to have another
problem.

   I used F2 to shut off "secure boot".
Now, there are noises that suggest the
CD is being read, but nothing displays
on the monitor--- no warnings, no diagnostics,
just a blinking cursor in the upper-left
corner.

--
My e-mail is unreliable.
Please try again if no reply in several days.

gpg: F7C9 B577 1E5D C732 63F1  A9D2 A399 D202 50E8 50D1

Re: network installer will not boot

mick crane
On 2019-05-26 14:29, Blair, Charles E III wrote:
> Thank you.  I seem to have another
> problem.
>
>    I used F2 to shut off "secure boot".
> Now, there are noises that suggest the
> CD is being read, but nothing displays
> on the monitor--- no warnings, no diagnostics,
> just a blinking cursor in the upper-left
> corner.

I seem to remember that this install of Buster if I booted from a
pendrive it would start the install process but stalled not finding the
files and if I booted from the DVD same thing but booting from the
pendrive with the DVD (accidentally) in the drive then it completed the
install.

mick

Key ID    4BFEBB31

Re: network installer will not boot

Thomas Schmitt

>    I used F2 to shut off "secure boot".
> Now, there are noises that suggest the
> CD is being read, but nothing displays
> on the monitor--- no warnings, no diagnostics,
> just a blinking cursor in the upper-left
> corner.

Did you alread try legacy CSM (BIOS emulation) ?

Have a nice day :)

Thomas

Re: Re: network installer will not boot

Blair, Charles E III
   Thanks for your continuing help.

   I would like to to try "Legacy," but am
not sure how.

   I press F2 at the beginning.  This takes
me to tabs including "Main", "Devices", "Boot".

Under "Devices," there is a box under the
heading "USB Configuration" for "Legacy",
which I have checked with a mouse-click.
Below that are choices involving charging,
which do not seem relevant.

The "Boot" tab is more problematic.  I am
shown panels headed "UEFI Boot Priority" and
"Legacy Boot Priority," each headed by a box
to check.  UEFI is checked, Legacy is not.
I am unable to uncheck UEFI or to check Legacy,
either with a mouse or by moving around
orange frames using the arrow keys.

--
My e-mail is unreliable.
Please try again if no reply in several days.

gpg: F7C9 B577 1E5D C732 63F1  A9D2 A399 D202 50E8 50D1

Re: network installer will not boot

Thomas Schmitt
Hi,

regrettably (or to my luck ?) i don't have a NUC in reach.

Intel says it should be possible to install GNU/Linux:
  https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000005499/mini-pcs.html
Suspicious is that they list particular NUC models for Ubuntu.
(What about the others ?)
Debian has a list of usable NUCs
  https://wiki.debian.org/InstallingDebianOn/Intel/
which differs from Intel's Ubuntu-NUC list.

Intel indicates that its "BIOS" needs human help:
  https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000022600/mini-pcs.html
A mini Linux named "OpenElec" is mentioned with BIOS settings.
Maybe its example works for Debian, too.

If you cannot get legacy mode to work, then consider to report your
problem to

 [hidden email]

It will be necessary that you tell the exact URL from where you got the
ISO image and that you confirm its SHA512 checksum matchiing the recorded
one in file SHA512SUMS from the same remote directory as the ISO.

Have a nice day :)

Thomas