new kernel too big for lilo

Craig Hagerman
Hi,
I asked a question last week about why my computer seems to use the
CPU a lot during disc access. (Like using find, cp etc) Responses led
me to figure out that DMA is not activated. After doing some searching
on the internet I found out that I probably should compile a kernel
with dma support (or at least compiled in as a module).

My problem is that the resultant kernel image is too big ... at least
that is the complain that lilo keeps giving me. From within the source
directory I do:

% make dep && make clean && make bzImage &
% make modules
% make modules_install

then copy the vmlinux image to /boot, add the appropriate lines to
/etc/lilo.conf and then run

% lilo

which tells me:

   Fatal: Kernel /boot/vmlinux-2.6.14-dma is too big

It is 7258373 b. When I started it was about 8500000 b. I have gone
through make menuconfig a dozen times now, turning off as many options
as possible, choosing to build as a module instead of built in where
possible ... and STILL I am getting an image that lilo complains
about.

I don't understand this. Am I doing something wrong? or is lilo wrong?
Can anyone tell me the correct way to compile a kernel if I have been
doing it wrong.

Thanks,

Craig

Re: new kernel too big for lilo

edt (Bugzilla)
On Monday 26 December 2005 11:02, Craig Hagerman wrote:

> Hi,
> I asked a question last week about why my computer seems to use the
> CPU a lot during disc access. (Like using find, cp etc) Responses led
> me to figure out that DMA is not activated. After doing some searching
> on the internet I found out that I probably should compile a kernel
> with dma support (or at least compiled in as a module).
>
> My problem is that the resultant kernel image is too big ... at least
> that is the complain that lilo keeps giving me. From within the source
> directory I do:
>
> % make dep && make clean && make bzImage &
> % make modules
> % make modules_install

How have you created the .config file for your kernel?  I suggest you
boot into a 2.6 kernel that works and extract the config from it as
shown below.

A 2.6 kernel does not need the make dep and make bzImage is the default....

using a non root user:

cd /your new kernel dir
bzcat /proc/config.bz > .config
make old_config
make clean
make

become root

make modules_install

> then copy the vmlinux image to /boot, add the appropriate lines to
> /etc/lilo.conf and then run
>
> % lilo
>
> which tells me:
>
>    Fatal: Kernel /boot/vmlinux-2.6.14-dma is too big
>
> It is 7258373 b. When I started it was about 8500000 b. I have gone
> through make menuconfig a dozen times now, turning off as many options
> as possible, choosing to build as a module instead of built in where
> possible ... and STILL I am getting an image that lilo complains
> about.

I suspect you have almost everything built into your kernel.  Here my 2.6
kernel is about 1.6m (vs your 7.2m).

> I don't understand this. Am I doing something wrong? or is lilo wrong?
> Can anyone tell me the correct way to compile a kernel if I have been
> doing it wrong.

Luck
Ed Tomlinson

Re: new kernel too big for lilo

Hamish Moffatt
On Tue, Dec 27, 2005 at 01:02:05AM +0900, Craig Hagerman wrote:
> My problem is that the resultant kernel image is too big ... at least
> that is the complain that lilo keeps giving me. From within the source
> directory I do:
>
> % make dep && make clean && make bzImage &

I don't know whether it changes anything, but you should use make-kpkg
(from the kernel-package package) to build your kernel into a .deb
rather than building by hand and dumping into /boot.

Hamish
--
Hamish Moffatt VK3SB <[hidden email]> <[hidden email]>

Re: new kernel too big for lilo

Ernest jw ter Kuile

Old bug. you should have tryed Google.

You're copying the uncompressed kernel. Doesn't work.

Don't copy kernel by hand, use make install

Ernest.

On Monday 26 December 2005 17:02, Craig Hagerman wrote:

> Hi,
> I asked a question last week about why my computer seems to use the
> CPU a lot during disc access. (Like using find, cp etc) Responses led
> me to figure out that DMA is not activated. After doing some searching
> on the internet I found out that I probably should compile a kernel
> with dma support (or at least compiled in as a module).
>
> My problem is that the resultant kernel image is too big ... at least
> that is the complain that lilo keeps giving me. From within the source
> directory I do:
>
> % make dep && make clean && make bzImage &
> % make modules
> % make modules_install
>
> then copy the vmlinux image to /boot, add the appropriate lines to
> /etc/lilo.conf and then run
>
> % lilo
>
> which tells me:
>
>    Fatal: Kernel /boot/vmlinux-2.6.14-dma is too big
>
> It is 7258373 b. When I started it was about 8500000 b. I have gone
> through make menuconfig a dozen times now, turning off as many options
> as possible, choosing to build as a module instead of built in where
> possible ... and STILL I am getting an image that lilo complains
> about.
>
> I don't understand this. Am I doing something wrong? or is lilo wrong?
> Can anyone tell me the correct way to compile a kernel if I have been
> doing it wrong.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Craig

Re: new kernel too big for lilo

Anthony DeRobertis
Craig Hagerman wrote:
> After doing some searching
> on the internet I found out that I probably should compile a kernel
> with dma support (or at least compiled in as a module).

Generally, the relevant modules are already included in the
kerlnel-image/linux-image deb...

Re: new kernel too big for lilo

Craig Hagerman
Thanks for all the feedback. I tried installing a new kernel the 'debian way':

% make menuconfig
% make-kpkg

followed by:

% dpkg -i kernel_name.deb

which did everything automatically. Then I restarted ... to find I had
no GUI and no internet. I realized that the automatic install had
renamed my old kernel by appending .old to the name. I was able to add
THAT to lilo.conf by hand and successfully reboot.

I am sure most of you will disagree with me but this is one area where
I do NOT like doing things the debian way. Compiling and installing a
kernel isn't something I do everyday but it is something that can mess
up a system. I don't know what is automagically being done behind the
scenes and I am very uncomfortable with that. I would much rather
follow a manual compile-installation instruction so that I can add the
new kernel to lilo by hand to try it out, knowing the working kernel
is still safe.

Having said that ... I now think that I was doing things wrong before.
After running make bzImage I saw there was a new file in the
/usr/src/linux directory called "vmlinux". I thought THAT was the
kernel and tried to copy it to /boot. After some research on the net I
now think that the image is actually at /arch/x86_64/boot/bzImage. IS
this what was meant by:

On 12/27/05, Ernest jw ter Kuile <[hidden email]> wrote:

> You're copying the uncompressed kernel. Doesn't work.

Which IS the kernel I am supposed to copy?

After I copied that bzImage I find that I have no GUI again. For some
reason the nvidia modules is not getting loaded (or found). I have no
idea why. Do I have to do something special with the nvidia module to
get it to work with a newly compiled kernel?

I still can't get internet working (either ethernet or wireless). When
I tried  to modprobe the relevant modules I got an error saying
'module not found'. But it IS there in the /lib/modules/2.6.14/....
directory. What is up with this? Do I have to update the System.map or
something else? (I HATE compiling and installing kernels since I don't
understand what is going on.)

Thanks,
Craig

Re: new kernel too big for lilo

Jim Crilly
On 12/31/05 12:37:12AM +0900, Craig Hagerman wrote:

> Thanks for all the feedback. I tried installing a new kernel the 'debian way':
>
> % make menuconfig
> % make-kpkg
>
> followed by:
>
> % dpkg -i kernel_name.deb
>
> which did everything automatically. Then I restarted ... to find I had
> no GUI and no internet. I realized that the automatic install had
> renamed my old kernel by appending .old to the name. I was able to add
> THAT to lilo.conf by hand and successfully reboot.

I would have thought that both would be available in lilo after the update.
But I don't use LILO and I don't let make-kpkg touch my bootloader so I
could be wrong.

> I am sure most of you will disagree with me but this is one area where
> I do NOT like doing things the debian way. Compiling and installing a
> kernel isn't something I do everyday but it is something that can mess
> up a system. I don't know what is automagically being done behind the
> scenes and I am very uncomfortable with that. I would much rather
> follow a manual compile-installation instruction so that I can add the
> new kernel to lilo by hand to try it out, knowing the working kernel
> is still safe.

You can still use make-kpkg and have it not touch the symlinks or the
bootloader, they're adjustable via kernel-img.conf.

Jim.

Re: new kernel too big for lilo

zzz haha
On 12/30/05, Craig Hagerman <[hidden email]> wrote:
> After I copied that bzImage I find that I have no GUI again. For some
> reason the nvidia modules is not getting loaded (or found). I have no
> idea why. Do I have to do something special with the nvidia module to
> get it to work with a newly compiled kernel?

it's safe to reinstall nvidia kernel module after installing new
kernel. and it's safe to reinstall nvidia x driver after installing
new x window.

Craig Hagerman wrote:

> I am sure most of you will disagree with me but this is one area where
> I do NOT like doing things the debian way. Compiling and installing a
> kernel isn't something I do everyday but it is something that can mess
> up a system. I don't know what is automagically being done behind the
> scenes and I am very uncomfortable with that. I would much rather
> follow a manual compile-installation instruction so that I can add the
> new kernel to lilo by hand to try it out, knowing the working kernel
> is still safe.

You can do that easily the Debian way. Debian installs kernels in /boot;
just add them to lilo.conf by hand.

image=/boot/vmlinuz-2.6.12-1-amd64-k8-smp
        label=2.6.12-1
        read-only
        initrd=/boot/initrd.img-2.6.12-1-amd64-k8-smp

Not too hard. Or, even better, apt-get install grub.

On Sat, Dec 31, 2005 at 12:37:12AM +0900, Craig Hagerman wrote:
> I am sure most of you will disagree with me but this is one area where
> I do NOT like doing things the debian way. Compiling and installing a

If you do it ALL the Debian way, it's just fine. You should see your new
kernels added into the LILO configuration automatically, or at least the
GRUB configuration (preferred to LILO these days).

> new kernel to lilo by hand to try it out, knowing the working kernel
> is still safe.

If you have it update your configuration file automatically you get
exactly that.

Another part of the Debian way is that you rarely need to compile your
own kernel these days. What did you need to change?

Hamish
--
Hamish Moffatt VK3SB <[hidden email]> <[hidden email]>

Re: new kernel too big for lilo

zzz haha
> Another part of the Debian way is that you rarely need to compile your
> own kernel these days. What did you need to change?

his (and mine) dma is not enabled.

0000:00:0f.1 IDE interface: VIA Technologies, Inc.
VT82C586A/B/VT82C686/A/B/VT823x/A/C PIPC Bus Master IDE (rev 06)

thanks to his try, i compiled my own kernel and enabled dma too now. :)

On Sun, Jan 01, 2006 at 09:48:59PM +0800, zzz haha wrote:
> > Another part of the Debian way is that you rarely need to compile your
> > own kernel these days. What did you need to change?
>
> his (and mine) dma is not enabled.
>
> 0000:00:0f.1 IDE interface: VIA Technologies, Inc.
> VT82C586A/B/VT82C686/A/B/VT823x/A/C PIPC Bus Master IDE (rev 06)
>
> thanks to his try, i compiled my own kernel and enabled dma too now. :)

Is there a bug reported logged so that this will be fixed in the next
Debian kernel package?

Hamish
--
Hamish Moffatt VK3SB <[hidden email]> <[hidden email]>

Re: new kernel too big for lilo

zzz haha
> Is there a bug reported logged so that this will be fixed in the next
> Debian kernel package?

i'd like to. :) really busy right now. :) reportbug needs a local smtp
server? is there a standard way to send bug using gmail?

thank you

Re: new kernel too big for lilo

Corey Hickey
zzz haha wrote:
>>Is there a bug reported logged so that this will be fixed in the next
>>Debian kernel package?
>

> i'd like to. :) really busy right now. :) reportbug needs a local smtp
> server? is there a standard way to send bug using gmail?

Offhand, I'd say that you could go through the motions with reportbug,
then copy-n-paste the message it generates into gmail. Then cancel the
reportbug message.

Try it. :)

-Corey

Re: new kernel too big for lilo

Blars Blarson
In article <[hidden email]>
[hidden email] writes:
>i'd like to. :) really busy right now. :) reportbug needs a local smtp
>server? is there a standard way to send bug using gmail?

reportbug can be configured to use SMTP to bugs.debian.org directly.
(Some ISPs block port 25 so this will not work for everyone.)  Please
use a recent version of reportbug that adds message-ids if you are
going to do this, otherwise your bug may sighlently be discarded.

--
Blars Blarson [hidden email]
                                http://www.blars.org/blars.html

On Mon, Jan 02, 2006 at 12:38:27PM +0800, zzz haha wrote:
> > Is there a bug reported logged so that this will be fixed in the next
> > Debian kernel package?
>
> i'd like to. :) really busy right now. :) reportbug needs a local smtp
> server? is there a standard way to send bug using gmail?

Simple. Email [hidden email] with the body:

Package: <packagename>
Version: <version>
Severity: <severity>

Text of bug report.

Version and severity are optional but important.

This is exactly what reportbug does. Full reference details are
available at http://bugs.debian.org.

Hamish
--
Hamish Moffatt VK3SB <[hidden email]> <[hidden email]>

Re: new kernel too big for lilo

Lennart Sorensen
On Sat, Dec 31, 2005 at 12:37:12AM +0900, Craig Hagerman wrote:

> Thanks for all the feedback. I tried installing a new kernel the 'debian way':
>
> % make menuconfig
> % make-kpkg
>
> followed by:
>
> % dpkg -i kernel_name.deb
>
> which did everything automatically. Then I restarted ... to find I had
> no GUI and no internet. I realized that the automatic install had
> renamed my old kernel by appending .old to the name. I was able to add
> THAT to lilo.conf by hand and successfully reboot.
>
> I am sure most of you will disagree with me but this is one area where
> I do NOT like doing things the debian way. Compiling and installing a
> kernel isn't something I do everyday but it is something that can mess
> up a system. I don't know what is automagically being done behind the
> scenes and I am very uncomfortable with that. I would much rather
> follow a manual compile-installation instruction so that I can add the
> new kernel to lilo by hand to try it out, knowing the working kernel
> is still safe.

If you used grub (default on fresh installs of sarge), it lists all
installed kernels automatically.  update-grub is a wonderful tool and
yet another reason lilo has no purpose whatsoever anymore.

The way lilo did things there really was no real easy way to add and
remove entries, well at not that grub made it easy either, but the
update-grub script does it all, and I haven't seen a similar one for
lilo.

> Having said that ... I now think that I was doing things wrong before.
> After running make bzImage I saw there was a new file in the
> /usr/src/linux directory called "vmlinux". I thought THAT was the
> kernel and tried to copy it to /boot. After some research on the net I
> now think that the image is actually at /arch/x86_64/boot/bzImage. IS
> this what was meant by:
>
> Which IS the kernel I am supposed to copy?
>
> After I copied that bzImage I find that I have no GUI again. For some
> reason the nvidia modules is not getting loaded (or found). I have no
> idea why. Do I have to do something special with the nvidia module to
> get it to work with a newly compiled kernel?

You _always_ have to recompile the nvidia drivers whenever you change
your kernel no matter what method you use.  Fortunately on debian using
m-a -t a-i nvidia, is about all it takes after booting the new kernel.

> I still can't get internet working (either ethernet or wireless). When
> I tried  to modprobe the relevant modules I got an error saying
> 'module not found'. But it IS there in the /lib/modules/2.6.14/....
> directory. What is up with this? Do I have to update the System.map or
> something else? (I HATE compiling and installing kernels since I don't
> understand what is going on.)

What kernel were you running before?  Is your module-init-tools new
enough?  Did you make the drivers modules in the new kernel config?

Len Sorensen

On 1/1/06, Hamish Moffatt <[hidden email]> wrote:
> If you do it ALL the Debian way, it's just fine. You should see your new
> kernels added into the LILO configuration automatically, or at least the
> GRUB configuration (preferred to LILO these days).

> Another part of the Debian way is that you rarely need to compile your
> own kernel these days. What did you need to change?

Sorry for the delayed response - just got back from a few days
snowboarding in the Japanese alps!

As another poster mentioned I was compiling a kernel because DMA
wasn't enabled. Another reason was that fancontrol and sensors report
"no sensors found". lm_sensors DOES seem to be working (CPU runs
slower under low load) and with a previous Debian installation on this
motherboard sensors DID work. I figured it must be a missing kernel
option. Unfortunately none of the options I selected seem to have done
the job. (I'll continue this in a new thread.)

Hamish said that there is rarely a need to compile your own kernel
with Debian. I think I must have missed something. Is there a ways to
do a simple 'apt-get install new_kernel'? I did a google search for
something like 'debian kernel install', but all of the hits described
compiling your own new kernel.

Craig

On Thu, Jan 05, 2006 at 09:52:25AM +0900, Craig Hagerman wrote:
> Hamish said that there is rarely a need to compile your own kernel
> with Debian. I think I must have missed something. Is there a ways to
> do a simple 'apt-get install new_kernel'? I did a google search for
> something like 'debian kernel install', but all of the hits described
> compiling your own new kernel.

Yes, there's packages called linux-image-* (previously kernel-image-*)
which contain kernels including modules. With GRUB at least, installing
a new kernel package will also add them to the boot menu.

Hamish

On Thursday 05 January 2006 01:52, Craig Hagerman wrote:
> On 1/1/06, Hamish Moffatt <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hamish said that there is rarely a need to compile your own kernel
> with Debian. I think I must have missed something. Is there a ways to
> do a simple 'apt-get install new_kernel'? I did a google search for
> something like 'debian kernel install', but all of the hits described
> compiling your own new kernel.

I'll contradict Hamish, but then I don't really like the debian-kernel method
(especially the stupid and irrelevant warnings it always give me)

If you already compiled your kernel yourself, there is no need to use debian
tool to do it.

After configure, just use these three command to build the kernel :
$ make
$ make modules_install
$ make install

"make install" will copy the correct version of the compiled kernel (you were
using the uncompressed kernel, which doesn't boot anymore) to /boot

After that, you can add an entry to your boot method of choice. I recommend
grub.

Surfing in the Japanese Alps sound good.

Cheers,

Ernest.