no applications menu

takisd
Hi

i'm running gnome 2.10.2 from debian testing.

i have no idea what i did (don't actually recall doing anything) but
i've lost my gnome applications menu. the places and desktop menus are
fine. the applications menu displays nothing at all - it previously
worked ok.

i notice that it does in fact expand for a split second and then
nothing. the applications menu item itself remains highlighted.

the contents of /etc/xdg/menus looks as i think it should
and /usr/share/applications still has all the menus items in it. i'm
stumped. googled for a bit and only found a post relating to v2.9 which
suggested adding an entry in .xinitrc - either way it didn't work.

i have another almost identical setup on another box and i've compared
the files/dirs i think might be relevant and i can't see anything wrong.
i tried it under user root and its the same result so i don't think its
a permissions thing.

i'm stumped!!

any suggestions would be appreciated.
thanks

Takis

Re: no applications menu

takisd
i found a post in a fedora list with a similar issue.
http://forums.fedoraforum.org/archive/index.php/t-20153.html
the solution here was reinstalling gamin.

gamin and libgamin were 2 packages that i upgraded from version 0.1.5-2
to 0.1.7-2. reinstalling however didn't work so instead i went back to
version 0.1.5-2.

this worked and i now have my applications menu back in full.

i checked the other (similar setup) machine and noticed that it actually
doesn't have gamin installed but rather still uses fam.

also not sure where the bug would be - gamin or gnome.

anyway, it works for the moment.

Takis