Quantcast

(no) link to release notes for testing/stretch

(no) link to release notes for testing/stretch

Selim T. Erdoğan
Hello,

Before updating a jessie machine to stretch, I wanted to have a look at
the release notes but was unable to find the testing/stretch release
notes on the website.  Finally, I got to them by finding the release
notes for stable and changing the address bar!

(Was there an obvious link I missed?)

It would be very helpful for
https://www.debian.org/releases/testing/
to have a link to
https://www.debian.org/releases/testing/releasenotes
and for
https://www.debian.org/releases/stretch/
to have a link to
https://www.debian.org/releases/stretch/releasenotes

Thanks,
Selim

Re: (no) link to release notes for testing/stretch

Paul Wise via nm
On Fri, May 19, 2017 at 7:00 AM, Selim T. Erdoğan wrote:

> It would be very helpful for
> https://www.debian.org/releases/testing/
> to have a link to
> https://www.debian.org/releases/testing/releasenotes
> and for

The template for in-progress releases includes a commented-out
paragraph with a link to the release notes:

# Please also <a href="https://bugs.debian.org/release-notes">check the
# proposed additions to the release notes</a>.</p>

I've changed the wording a little and enabled it for when suites are testing:

https://anonscm.debian.org/viewvc/webwml/webwml/english/releases/stretch/index.wml?view=log

This will be online in a few hours.

> https://www.debian.org/releases/stretch/
> to have a link to
> https://www.debian.org/releases/stretch/releasenotes

This happens automatically when a new stable release is made but my
above changes are to the stretch page.

--
bye,
pabs

https://wiki.debian.org/PaulWise

Questions prompted by {Re: (no) link to release notes for testing/stretch}

Richard Owlett-3
On 05/18/2017 09:51 PM, Paul Wise wrote:

> On Fri, May 19, 2017 at 7:00 AM, Selim T. Erdoğan wrote:
>
>> It would be very helpful for
>> https://www.debian.org/releases/testing/
>> to have a link to
>> https://www.debian.org/releases/testing/releasenotes
>> and for
>
> The template for in-progress releases includes a commented-out
> paragraph with a link to the release notes:

> # Please also <a href="https://bugs.debian.org/release-notes">check the
> # proposed additions to the release notes</a>.</p>
>
> I've changed the wording a little and enabled it for when suites are testing:
>
> https://anonscm.debian.org/viewvc/webwml/webwml/english/releases/stretch/index.wml?view=log
>
> This will be online in a few hours.
>
>> https://www.debian.org/releases/stretch/
>> to have a link to
>> https://www.debian.org/releases/stretch/releasenotes
>
> This happens automatically when a new stable release is made but my
> above changes are to the stretch page.

This is the first time I've had reason to use a release still designated
as "testing". [In the past I've had bandwidth constraints limiting me to
purchased DVD sets.]

1. At _this point_ in the release cycle is there reason to prefer URLs
specifying "stretch" over ones with "testing"?

2. Is there a document (or blog or ??) targeted at someone using a
"testing" release for the first time. My interest relates to the move
from MySQL to Mariadb - I've already been pointed to links to the fine
details of the change. I'm asking if there something with a broad
perspective on dealing with any testing release.

TIA

Re: Questions prompted by {Re: (no) link to release notes for testing/stretch}

Paul Wise via nm
On Fri, May 19, 2017 at 7:31 PM, Richard Owlett wrote:

> 1. At _this point_ in the release cycle is there reason to prefer URLs
> specifying "stretch" over ones with "testing"?

The only difference between URLs containing stretch vs URLs containing
testing, is that, *in the future*, testing URLs will point to buster
and then bullseye and then the other future releases while stretch
URLs will eventually be obsoleted and archived and some stretch URLs
will no longer work. At this point in time, there is no difference
between the two but if you are storing the URLs somewhere then you
should be aware of the difference and choose the one most appropriate
for your context.

> 2. Is there a document (or blog or ??) targeted at someone using a "testing"
> release for the first time. My interest relates to the move from MySQL to
> Mariadb - I've already been pointed to links to the fine details of the
> change. I'm asking if there something with a broad perspective on dealing
> with any testing release.

Our official documentation is available here:

https://www.debian.org/devel/testing
https://wiki.debian.org/DebianTesting

I wrote a blog post about using testing (some of it is out of date now):

http://bonedaddy.net/pabs3/log/2012/10/29/thoughts-on-debian-testing/

Probably the biggest recent change is that I moved away from equivs
towards generating a real package with debhelper, into which I install
all the configuration snippet files and extra scripts that I have.

In particular I've added a debsecan-based security update mechanism:

It isn't perfect but helps avoid manually picking security fixes from sid.

I fairly recently switched to unattended-upgrades and also installed
needrestart and needrestart-session so that I'm not manually doing
security upgrades and daemon restarts and get pinged to restart apps
with upgraded libraries.

On 05/19/2017 08:05 PM, Paul Wise wrote:

> On Fri, May 19, 2017 at 7:31 PM, Richard Owlett wrote:
>
>> 2. Is there a document (or blog or ??) targeted at someone using
>> a "testing" release for the first time. My interest relates to the
>> move from MySQL to Mariadb - I've already been pointed to links to
>> the fine details of the change. I'm asking if there something with
>> a broad perspective on dealing with any testing release.
>
> Our official documentation is available here:
>
> https://www.debian.org/devel/testing

I don't believe I've seen that page before.
I think the portion titled "Can you provide a real, non-trivial
example?" will prove useful.

> https://wiki.debian.org/DebianTesting

Although I read that page some time ago, it has much more "relevance"
when re-read with a specific problem in mind.

> I wrote a blog post about using testing (some of it is out of date
> now):
>
> http://bonedaddy.net/pabs3/log/2012/10/29/thoughts-on-debian-testing/

I've an old laptop dedicated to my experiments including figuring out
how to "have Debian my way" [apologies to a fast food chain;]. That page
gives me several ideas to make life easier.

Thank you.