openjdk-8 re-uploaded to unstable (currently in NEW)

openjdk-8 re-uploaded to unstable (currently in NEW)

Matthias Klose
The openjdk-8 packages which were unfortunately removed from unstable (although
the issue #915620 only asked for the removal of some binaries), are now again in
NEW, targeting unstable.  One of the FTP assistants is objecting to the upload
to unstable, apparently because somebody (security team, Moritz?) asked to
restore these packages in experimental instead of unstable.  Otoh, we still need
these packages in unstable to bootstrap kotlin (yes we can bootstrap in
experimental, but then it's not assured how to build kotlin for unstable with an
experimental build).

I honestly don't understand why FTP master would have such an objection, so
please clarify what prohibits the acceptance to unstable with an RC issue to not
propagate these packages to testing.

Matthias

Re: openjdk-8 re-uploaded to unstable (currently in NEW)

Emmanuel Bourg-3
Le 26/05/2019 à 21:13, Matthias Klose a écrit :

> The openjdk-8 packages which were unfortunately removed from unstable (although
> the issue #915620 only asked for the removal of some binaries), are now again in
> NEW, targeting unstable.

Thank you for the upload Matthias.

> I honestly don't understand why FTP master would have such an objection, so
> please clarify what prohibits the acceptance to unstable with an RC issue to not
> propagate these packages to testing.

+1

Building Kotlin is going to become critical to keep the Java ecosystem
in Debian up to date. The situation is already quite complicated and it
would be nice not to add more hurdles with and experimental only
openjdk-8 package.

Thank you,

Emmanuel Bourg