pango 1.14.9 and pango-libthai

Theppitak Karoonboonyanan
Hello,

Pango 1.14.9 has been released [1] with Thai language engine
(in addition to shaping engine).

[1] http://mail.gnome.org/archives/gtk-devel-list/2006-December/msg00025.html

The language engine is currently provided by pango-libthai
package in Debian. But, in favor of the language engine
from upstream version, which was actually taken from
pango-libthai code, I'd like to drop pango-libthai from Debian,
and use upstream version instead.

Unfortunately, this would take a few more steps.

What we need in the new pango deb is
- Build-Depends: libthai-dev >= 0.1.7-1
- Conflicts: pango-libthai

However, libthai in sid/etch is currently 0.1.6-1.
Libthai 0.1.7 would require a new package, libdatrie,
for which I have filed ITP bug #392315, and
prepared the package in mentors.debian.net [2],
waiting for sponsorship for over a month.

[2] http://mentors.debian.net/debian/pool/main/l/libdatrie/

And libthai 0.1.7-1 has also been prepared but
distributed locally [3], until libdatrie is available
in Debian.

[3] http://linux.thai.net/apt/libthai/

Its source can be obtained by:

dget http://linux.thai.net/apt/libthai/libthai_0.1.7-1.dsc

That's all we need, to have Thai language engine
in the new pango.

Alternatively, if that takes too much, esp. if the new
pango is still aimed for etch, we can ship it without
Thai language module, and provide pango-libthai
until libthai 0.1.7 makes it into Debian. But in the long
run, pango-libthai is doomed (as well as its friend,
gtk-im-libthai, once the new GTK+ is released
upstream).

What do you think?

Theppitak Karoonboonyanan
http://linux.thai.net/~thep/

Re: pango 1.14.9 and pango-libthai

Loïc Minier
On Fri, Dec 08, 2006, Theppitak Karoonboonyanan wrote:
> What we need in the new pango deb is
> - Build-Depends: libthai-dev >= 0.1.7-1
> - Conflicts: pango-libthai
> However, libthai in sid/etch is currently 0.1.6-1.
> Libthai 0.1.7 would require a new package, libdatrie,
> for which I have filed ITP bug #392315, and
> prepared the package in mentors.debian.net [2],
> waiting for sponsorship for over a month.

 We are currently in "upstream version freeze"; I think this is the last
 freeze before "full freeze".  Following your plan requires:
 - a new source package (libdatrie), at least 10 days propagation to
   testing if everything goes fine
 - a new upstream version of libthai (breaks new upstream version
   freeze), with shlibs bumps (breaks another freeze which started
   longer ago, but there are not so many rdeps to libthai0), certainly
   10 days at least, after libdatrie
 - a new upstream version of pango (breaks new upstream version freeze,
   has an udeb == is used in debian-installer), given the importance of
   pango, 10 days as well, probably after libthai

 This is a bit too much I'm afraid, and you didn't state any benefit at
 all: does it fix bugs?  is it faster?

> Alternatively, if that takes too much, esp. if the new
> pango is still aimed for etch, we can ship it without
> Thai language module, and provide pango-libthai
> until libthai 0.1.7 makes it into Debian. But in the long
> run, pango-libthai is doomed (as well as its friend,
> gtk-im-libthai, once the new GTK+ is released
> upstream).

 A pango update might be feasible, it has no API change, so wouldn't
 need any shlib bump, but I messed with the previous update a little,
 and it's getting really late.  I would rather backport fixes to
 pango-libthai if needs be.

--
Loïc Minier <[hidden email]>
 "I have no strong feelings one way or the other." -- Neutral President

On 12/8/06, Loïc Minier <[hidden email]> wrote:

>  We are currently in "upstream version freeze"; I think this is the last
>  freeze before "full freeze".  Following your plan requires:
>  - a new source package (libdatrie), at least 10 days propagation to
>    testing if everything goes fine
>  - a new upstream version of libthai (breaks new upstream version
>    freeze), with shlibs bumps (breaks another freeze which started
>    longer ago, but there are not so many rdeps to libthai0), certainly
>    10 days at least, after libdatrie
>  - a new upstream version of pango (breaks new upstream version freeze,
>    has an udeb == is used in debian-installer), given the importance of
>    pango, 10 days as well, probably after libthai
>
>  This is a bit too much I'm afraid, and you didn't state any benefit at
>  all: does it fix bugs?  is it faster?

All right. That is what I also anticipated. In fact, I did plan to start
the works after etch release. But the upstream release with
the engine included comes so soon that I feel uncertain how
this would be handled in Debian. So, I made a notice of possible
alternatives for discussion, in case it's being built.

Regarding the changes, the upstream engine itself has corrected
some flaws about logical attribute calculation found in pango-libthai,
which should be nice to backport.

Regarding libthai itself, the word break engine has been replaced
with a new design using external dictionary, as opposed to
embarrassing, hard-coded, static data declaration in C source as
done in current Debian version. Yes, this seriously breaks "upstream
freeze". So, I have just held its version until etch is released.

>  A pango update might be feasible, it has no API change, so wouldn't
>  need any shlib bump, but I messed with the previous update a little,
>  and it's getting really late.  I would rather backport fixes to
>  pango-libthai if needs be.

That's fine. I'll prepare a backported fix for pango-libthai soon.

Theppitak Karoonboonyanan
http://linux.thai.net/~thep/

Re: pango 1.14.9 and pango-libthai

Loïc Minier
 An update for d-g-g readers:

On Fri, Dec 08, 2006, Loïc Minier wrote:
>                                 I would rather backport fixes to
>  pango-libthai if needs be.

 I've uploaded the fixes prepared by Theppitak this morning...

>  - a new source package (libdatrie), at least 10 days propagation to
>    testing if everything goes fine

 ...and I'm picking this up now.