pass simple readline frontend

André Rodier
Hello,

I want to use the pass password urtility on Linux, in my Emacs eterm.

The TERM environment variable seems to be ignored, the ncurses utility
starts and this is totally unusable.
Is there any option, beside recompiling the software to have it working
properly?

Thanks,
André.

Re: pass simple readline frontend

Dominik George-2
Hi,

>I want to use the pass password urtility on Linux, in my Emacs eterm.
>
>The TERM environment variable seems to be ignored, the ncurses utility
>starts and this is totally unusable.
>Is there any option, beside recompiling the software to have it working

pass does not have an ncurses frontend.

What you see is probably pinentry (from gpg).

https://superuser.com/questions/520980/how-to-force-gpg-to-use-console-mode-pinentry-to-prompt-for-passwords

Cheers,
Nik

Re: pass simple readline frontend

Kushal Kumaran-4
André Rodier <[hidden email]> writes:

> Hello,
>
> I want to use the pass password urtility on Linux, in my Emacs eterm.
>
> The TERM environment variable seems to be ignored, the ncurses utility
> starts and this is totally unusable.
> Is there any option, beside recompiling the software to have it
> working properly?

Have you looked at the emacs mode for pass?
https://stable.melpa.org/#/pass

Not sure what your usecase is, but I find the emacs mode suffices for
everything I need it to do.

--
regards,
kushal

On Tue, 2019-11-05 at 18:30 -0800, Kushal Kumaran wrote:

> André Rodier <[hidden email]> writes:
>
> > Hello,
> >
> > I want to use the pass password urtility on Linux, in my Emacs
> > eterm.
> >
> > The TERM environment variable seems to be ignored, the ncurses
> > utility
> > starts and this is totally unusable.
> > Is there any option, beside recompiling the software to have it
> > working properly?
> >

> Have you looked at the emacs mode for pass?
> https://stable.melpa.org/#/pass
>
> Not sure what your usecase is, but I find the emacs mode suffices for
> everything I need it to do.

Hello Kushal,

Yes, I am using it to manage the passwords, but the gpg agent is not
compatible and starts an ncurses frontend in the eshell prompt.

Apparently, Dominik have proposed a solution.

Thanks,
André

On Tue, 2019-11-05 at 18:56 +0100, Dominik George wrote:

> Hi,
>
> >I want to use the pass password urtility on Linux, in my Emacs
> eterm.
> >
> >The TERM environment variable seems to be ignored, the ncurses
> utility
> >starts and this is totally unusable.
> >Is there any option, beside recompiling the software to have it
> working
>
> pass does not have an ncurses frontend.
>
> What you see is probably pinentry (from gpg).
>
> https://superuser.com/questions/520980/how-to-force-gpg-to-use-console-mode-pinentry-to-prompt-for-passwords
>
> Cheers,
> Nik

Thanks, Nik,
I will try this!

André

Re: pass simple readline frontend

Eric S Fraga
On Tuesday,  5 Nov 2019 at 10:17, André Rodier wrote:
> I want to use the pass password urtility on Linux, in my Emacs eterm.
>
> Is there any option, beside recompiling the software to have it
> working properly?

There is a pass Emacs package/interface so you don't have to use the
shell at all.  It's on MELPA.

--
Eric S Fraga via Emacs 27.0.50 & org 9.2.6 on Debian 9.9