pbuilder + local backports question

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
5 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

pbuilder + local backports question

Nikita Youshchenko
Hello.

I'm trying to use pbuilder to build some local backports (from post-etch to
etch).

In most cases, I want all build-deps to be installed from etch.
However, sometimes some particular packages are wanted from other
repository (where previously build backports are located). This should be
done only if explicitly requested; by default etch versions still should
be used

How to do that?

pbuilder-satisfybuilddeps is not smart enough to try packages from
repository with lower pin-priority, even if build-depends is versioned. It
just installs default version, without any notice.

"--extrapackages foo/etch-backports" pbuilder arg semi-works, but it is
triggered after build deps are installed, causing upgrades. Not very good
IMO.

The only solution I could think is to add a pre-unpack hook that will
generate /etc/apt/preferences to force needed packages from alternative
repository. Based on some environment variable, or something alike.

Any other hints/ideas?


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to [hidden email]
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: pbuilder + local backports question

Loïc Minier
On Sun, Apr 29, 2007, Nikita V. Youshchenko wrote:
> pbuilder-satisfybuilddeps is not smart enough to try packages from
> repository with lower pin-priority, even if build-depends is versioned. It
> just installs default version, without any notice.

 Completely correct; but there are two other flavors of
 pbuilder-satisfybuilddeps which you can configure via
 PBUILDERSATISFYDEPENDSCMD in pbuilderrc which are
 pbuilder-satisfydepends-experimental (which will try the default
 candidate APT version first, then all versions in increasing order for
 each build-deps), and pbuilder-satisfydepends-aptitude, which is still
 very young but can deal more easily with complex cases (and very fast).

 This is more or less covered in the pbuilder documentation, in the
 pbuilding for experimental section.

   Bye,
--
Loïc Minier


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to [hidden email]
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: pbuilder + local backports question

gregor herrmann
In reply to this post by Nikita Youshchenko
On Sun, 29 Apr 2007 01:09:54 +0400, Nikita V. Youshchenko wrote:

> In most cases, I want all build-deps to be installed from etch.
> However, sometimes some particular packages are wanted from other
> repository (where previously build backports are located).

If I understand correctly you want to use some packages from a local
repository/directory. If yes pbuilder can do this; take a look at
file:///usr/share/doc/pbuilder/pbuilder-doc.html#usingspecialaptsources

Cheers,
gregor
--
 .''`.   http://info.comodo.priv.at/ | gpg key ID: 0x00F3CFE4
 : :' :  debian: the universal operating system - http://www.debian.org/
 `. `'   member of https://www.vibe.at/ | how to reply: http://got.to/quote/
   `-    NP: Janis Joplin: Summertime

signature.asc (196 bytes) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: pbuilder + local backports question

Nikita Youshchenko
In reply to this post by Loïc Minier


> On Sun, Apr 29, 2007, Nikita V. Youshchenko wrote:
>> pbuilder-satisfybuilddeps is not smart enough to try packages from
>> repository with lower pin-priority, even if build-depends is versioned.
>> It just installs default version, without any notice.
>
>  Completely correct; but there are two other flavors of
>  pbuilder-satisfybuilddeps which you can configure via
>  PBUILDERSATISFYDEPENDSCMD in pbuilderrc which are
>  pbuilder-satisfydepends-experimental (which will try the default
>  candidate APT version first, then all versions in increasing order for
>  each build-deps), and pbuilder-satisfydepends-aptitude, which is still
>  very young but can deal more easily with complex cases (and very fast).
>
>  This is more or less covered in the pbuilder documentation, in the
>  pbuilding for experimental section.

Thanks, looks like pbuilder-satisfydepends-experimental does exactly what I
need.

Btw, is it a bug or a feature that pdebuild option --pbuildersatisdydepends
works only when --use-pdebuild-internal is also given, and is ignored
otherwise?


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to [hidden email]
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: pbuilder + local backports question

Loïc Minier
On Sun, Apr 29, 2007, Nikita V. Youshchenko wrote:
> Btw, is it a bug or a feature that pdebuild option --pbuildersatisdydepends
> works only when --use-pdebuild-internal is also given, and is ignored
> otherwise?

 It's a bug, and I don't know where it comes from.

--
Loïc Minier


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to [hidden email]
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact [hidden email]