[proposal-manual] Section: Installation using USB flash drives instead of CD / Blu-ray discs

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
4 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

[proposal-manual] Section: Installation using USB flash drives instead of CD / Blu-ray discs

hoxp18
To: Debian Edu team,

Greeting.

A proposal for the manual. It's about "dd" "of" device path,
since "school teachers with IT knowledge" are potential readers.

SECTION
=======
Installation using USB flash drives instead of CD / Blu-ray discs

Current
-------
sudo dd if=debian-edu-amd64-XXX.iso of=/dev/sdX bs=1024

Proposal
--------
Use fast USB stick such as MLC type especially for BD image,
since cheap ones are very slow on write operation.

lsblk # confirm the system state, BEFORE INSERTING USB STICK.
lsusb # confirm your USB stick.
lsblk # confirm your USB stick device path such like "/dev/sdX".
# With extreme care, especially for "of",
sudo dd if=debian-edu-amd64-XXX.iso of=/dev/sdX bs=8M

Regard.

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [proposal-manual] Section: Installation using USB flash drives instead of CD / Blu-ray discs

hoxp18
Forgot options.

On 5/12/19 3:15 PM, hoxp18 wrote:

> To: Debian Edu team,
>
> Greeting.
>
> A proposal for the manual. It's about "dd" "of" device path,
> since "school teachers with IT knowledge" are potential readers.
>
> SECTION
> =======
> Installation using USB flash drives instead of CD / Blu-ray discs
>
> Current
> -------
> sudo dd if=debian-edu-amd64-XXX.iso of=/dev/sdX bs=1024
>
> Proposal
> --------
> Use fast USB stick such as MLC type especially for BD image,
> since cheap ones are very slow on write operation.
>
> lsblk # confirm the system state, BEFORE INSERTING USB STICK.

lsblk -p # confirm the system state, BEFORE INSERTING USB STICK.

> lsusb # confirm your USB stick.
> lsblk # confirm your USB stick device path such like "/dev/sdX".

lsblk -p # confirm your USB stick device path such like "/dev/sdX".

Regards,

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [proposal-manual] Section: Installation using USB flash drives instead of CD / Blu-ray discs

Wolfgang Schweer-3
Hi hoxp18,

On Sun, May 12, 2019 at 03:27:13PM +0900, hoxp18 wrote:
> lsblk -p # confirm the system state, BEFORE INSERTING USB STICK.

Thanks for your proposal. I've adjusted the related wiki content sort of
accordingly.

Wolfgang

signature.asc (981 bytes) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [proposal-manual] Section: Installation using USB flash drives instead of CD / Blu-ray discs

hoxp18
Dear Wolfgang Schweer,

On 5/13/19 7:08 AM, Wolfgang Schweer wrote:
> Hi hoxp18,
>
> On Sun, May 12, 2019 at 03:27:13PM +0900, hoxp18 wrote:
>> lsblk -p # confirm the system state, BEFORE INSERTING USB STICK.
>
> Thanks for your proposal. I've adjusted the related wiki content sort of
> accordingly.
>
> Wolfgang

Thank you, I'll make a translation for it ASAP.

Regards.