py2removal: proposal to increase apps popcon limit

py2removal: proposal to increase apps popcon limit

Sandro Tosi-6
Hello,
as part of the py2removal process, we're not raising the bug priority
to serious if it's associated with an application and popcon is bigger
than 300

There are currently:

* 38 apps that are leaf packages and popcon > 300;
** 13 out of 38 have popcon < 600
** 20 out of 38 have popcon < 1000

I propose to raise the popcon threshold to 1000.

What are your thoughts? I will move forward with this change in 3 days
if i dont hear any opposition.

Sandro "morph" Tosi
My website: http://sandrotosi.me/
Twitter: https://twitter.com/sandrotosi

Re: py2removal: proposal to increase apps popcon limit

Dmitry Shachnev-3
On Mon, Mar 30, 2020 at 11:01:49PM -0400, Sandro Tosi wrote:

> Hello,
> as part of the py2removal process, we're not raising the bug priority
> to serious if it's associated with an application and popcon is bigger
> than 300
>
> There are currently:
>
> * 38 apps that are leaf packages and popcon > 300;
> ** 13 out of 38 have popcon < 600
> ** 20 out of 38 have popcon < 1000
>
> I propose to raise the popcon threshold to 1000.
>
> What are your thoughts? I will move forward with this change in 3 days
> if i dont hear any opposition.
I think it makes sense.

Maybe you can paste the list of 20 affected apps, though?

--
Dmitry Shachnev

Re: py2removal: proposal to increase apps popcon limit

Mattia Rizzolo-5
On Tue, 31 Mar 2020, 11:26 am Dmitry Shachnev, <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Mon, Mar 30, 2020 at 11:01:49PM -0400, Sandro Tosi wrote:
> * 38 apps that are leaf packages and popcon > 300;
> ** 13 out of 38 have popcon < 600
> ** 20 out of 38 have popcon < 1000
>
> I propose to raise the popcon threshold to 1000.
>
> What are your thoughts? I will move forward with this change in 3 days
> if i dont hear any opposition.

I think it makes sense.

Likewise.

Maybe you can paste the list of 20 affected apps, though?

I'm more interested in the 18 that are above 1000.  Could you please just list them all 38, sorted by popocon?

Re: py2removal: proposal to increase apps popcon limit

Sandro Tosi-6
>> Maybe you can paste the list of 20 affected apps, though?
> I'm more interested in the 18 that are above 1000.  Could you please just list them all 38, sorted by popocon?

here's the list:

cvs2svn - popcon = 303,
chirp - popcon = 350,
gnat-gps - popcon = 354,
cfv - popcon = 387,
fretsonfire-game - popcon = 394,
neopi - popcon = 398,
kcachegrind-converters - popcon = 414,
virt-goodies - popcon = 430,
freeorion - popcon = 433,
syncthing-gtk - popcon = 435,
postnews - popcon = 557,
pssh - popcon = 562,
displaycal - popcon = 562,
archivemail - popcon = 674,
syslog-summary - popcon = 692,
xboxdrv - popcon = 696,
trash-cli - popcon = 753,
fsl-5.0-core - popcon = 822,
denyhosts - popcon = 852,
geda-utils - popcon = 938,
mirage - popcon = 1006,
gnumeric-plugins-extra - popcon = 1110,
getmail - popcon = 1191,
mailman - popcon = 1344,
smart-notifier - popcon = 1362,
xchat - popcon = 1606,
mysql-workbench - popcon = 1688,
calligra-libs - popcon = 2296,
mysql-utilities - popcon = 2448,
lokalize - popcon = 2598,
libboost-mpi-python1.67.0 - popcon = 2691,
bleachbit - popcon = 2773,
qbittorrent - popcon = 3402,
libapache2-mod-python - popcon = 3778,
nagios-plugins-contrib - popcon = 4059,
playonlinux - popcon = 4781,
sugar-browse-activity - popcon = 6421,
ipython - popcon = 8296,

--
Sandro "morph" Tosi
My website: http://sandrotosi.me/
Twitter: https://twitter.com/sandrotosi

Re: py2removal: proposal to increase apps popcon limit

Scott Kitterman-5
On Tuesday, March 31, 2020 9:54:41 AM EDT Sandro Tosi wrote:

> >> Maybe you can paste the list of 20 affected apps, though?
> >
> > I'm more interested in the 18 that are above 1000.  Could you please just
> > list them all 38, sorted by popocon?
> here's the list:
>
> cvs2svn - popcon = 303,
> chirp - popcon = 350,
> gnat-gps - popcon = 354,
> cfv - popcon = 387,
> fretsonfire-game - popcon = 394,
> neopi - popcon = 398,
> kcachegrind-converters - popcon = 414,
> virt-goodies - popcon = 430,
> freeorion - popcon = 433,
> syncthing-gtk - popcon = 435,
> postnews - popcon = 557,
> pssh - popcon = 562,
> displaycal - popcon = 562,
> archivemail - popcon = 674,
> syslog-summary - popcon = 692,
> xboxdrv - popcon = 696,
> trash-cli - popcon = 753,
> fsl-5.0-core - popcon = 822,
> denyhosts - popcon = 852,
> geda-utils - popcon = 938,
> mirage - popcon = 1006,
> gnumeric-plugins-extra - popcon = 1110,
> getmail - popcon = 1191,
> mailman - popcon = 1344,
> smart-notifier - popcon = 1362,
> xchat - popcon = 1606,
> mysql-workbench - popcon = 1688,
> calligra-libs - popcon = 2296,
> mysql-utilities - popcon = 2448,
> lokalize - popcon = 2598,
> libboost-mpi-python1.67.0 - popcon = 2691,
> bleachbit - popcon = 2773,
> qbittorrent - popcon = 3402,
> libapache2-mod-python - popcon = 3778,
> nagios-plugins-contrib - popcon = 4059,
> playonlinux - popcon = 4781,
> sugar-browse-activity - popcon = 6421,
> ipython - popcon = 8296,

Thanks.  I believe ipython will be gone shortly.

I do not see any problems with bumping to 1,000 now.

For the ones > 1,000, I think we should do some assessment of what needs to
happen on a case by case basis.  Some of those, I suspect, only use python2
for very limited purposes that could either be dropped or updated to python3.

Scott K

Re: py2removal: proposal to increase apps popcon limit

Gordon Ball-2
On Tue, Mar 31, 2020 at 10:04:34AM -0400, Scott Kitterman wrote:

> > > I'm more interested in the 18 that are above 1000.  Could you please just
> > > list them all 38, sorted by popocon?
> > here's the list:
> >
> > cvs2svn - popcon = 303,
> > chirp - popcon = 350,
> > gnat-gps - popcon = 354,
> > cfv - popcon = 387,
> > fretsonfire-game - popcon = 394,
> > neopi - popcon = 398,
> > kcachegrind-converters - popcon = 414,
> > virt-goodies - popcon = 430,
> > freeorion - popcon = 433,
> > syncthing-gtk - popcon = 435,
> > postnews - popcon = 557,
> > pssh - popcon = 562,
> > displaycal - popcon = 562,
> > archivemail - popcon = 674,
> > syslog-summary - popcon = 692,
> > xboxdrv - popcon = 696,
> > trash-cli - popcon = 753,
> > fsl-5.0-core - popcon = 822,
> > denyhosts - popcon = 852,
> > geda-utils - popcon = 938,
> > mirage - popcon = 1006,
> > gnumeric-plugins-extra - popcon = 1110,
> > getmail - popcon = 1191,
> > mailman - popcon = 1344,
> > smart-notifier - popcon = 1362,
> > xchat - popcon = 1606,
> > mysql-workbench - popcon = 1688,
> > calligra-libs - popcon = 2296,
> > mysql-utilities - popcon = 2448,
> > lokalize - popcon = 2598,
> > libboost-mpi-python1.67.0 - popcon = 2691,
> > bleachbit - popcon = 2773,
> > qbittorrent - popcon = 3402,
> > libapache2-mod-python - popcon = 3778,
> > nagios-plugins-contrib - popcon = 4059,
> > playonlinux - popcon = 4781,
> > sugar-browse-activity - popcon = 6421,
> > ipython - popcon = 8296,
>
> Thanks.  I believe ipython will be gone shortly.

The RM bug was filed this morning. #955404

> I do not see any problems with bumping to 1,000 now.
>
> For the ones > 1,000, I think we should do some assessment of what needs to
> happen on a case by case basis.  Some of those, I suspect, only use python2
> for very limited purposes that could either be dropped or updated to python3.
>
> Scott K

Re: py2removal: proposal to increase apps popcon limit

Sandro Tosi-6
> I propose to raise the popcon threshold to 1000.

this is now enabled (and will start working from the next run, in ~30 mins)