python-socketio x gevent-socketio

Paulo Henrique Santana-3
Hi Python Team and Benjamin, could you give me some orientation to my issue below?

A while ago I packaged [1] a software named Flask-SocketIO [2].
It depends of other software named python-socketio, and I could find this package on Debian that time [3]. In fact this package is gevent-socketio software [4].

But as you can see in this bug reported [5], Flask-SocketIO can't use gevent-socketio.

  From flask_socketio/__init__.py:
       if gevent_socketio_found:
           print('The gevent-socketio package is incompatible with this version of '
                 'the Flask-SocketIO extension. Please uninstall it, and then '
                 'install the latest version of python-socketio in its place.')
           sys.exit(1)

The upstream (Miguel) that developed Flask-SocketIO has developed other python-socketio [6].
So, I throught to package this python-socketio from Miguel to close the Flask-SocketIO bug.

gevent-socketio seems to be stoped since 2016 and it does not seem to be update to Python 3. When I install it, it is under the tree:
/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/socketio

My package with python-socketio (from Miguel) uses namespace "socketio" too, and it would be under the tree:
/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/socketio

So. what is a good a solution to this?
Keep my python-socketio on Python3 tree and gevent-socketio on Python2.7?
Use Conflicts field to force the user to remove gevent-socketio before install python-socketio?
Or other solution?

[1] https://tracker.debian.org/pkg/flask-socketio
[2] https://github.com/miguelgrinberg/Flask-SocketIO
[3] https://tracker.debian.org/pkg/gevent-socketio
[4] https://pypi.org/project/gevent-socketio/#files
[5] https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=879631
[6] http://github.com/miguelgrinberg/python-socketio

Best regards,

-----
Paulo Henrique de Lima Santana (phls)
Curitiba - Brasil
Debian Maintainer
Diretor do Instituto para Conservação de Tecnologias Livres
Membro da Comunidade Curitiba Livre
Site: http://www.phls.com.br
GNU/Linux user: 228719  GPG ID: 0443C450

Organizador da DebConf19 - Conferência Mundial de Desenvolvedores(as) Debian
Curitiba - 21 a 28 de julho de 2019
http://debconf19.debconf.org

Re: python-socketio x gevent-socketio

Paulo Henrique Santana-3
Hello,

Any opinion about my issue below?

Best regards,

> [...]

 > Use Conflicts field to force the user to remove gevent-socketio before install python-socketio?
 > Or other solution?
 >
 > [1] https://tracker.debian.org/pkg/flask-socketio
 > [2] https://github.com/miguelgrinberg/Flask-SocketIO
 > [3] https://tracker.debian.org/pkg/gevent-socketio
 > [4] https://pypi.org/project/gevent-socketio/#files
 > [5] https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=879631
 > [6] http://github.com/miguelgrinberg/python-socketio

-----
Paulo Henrique de Lima Santana (phls)
Curitiba - Brasil
Debian Maintainer
Diretor do Instituto para Conservação de Tecnologias Livres
Membro da Comunidade Curitiba Livre
Site: http://www.phls.com.br
GNU/Linux user: 228719  GPG ID: 0443C450

Organizador da DebConf19 - Conferência Mundial de Desenvolvedores(as) Debian

Benjamin Drung-6

I orphaned gevent-websocket and William Grzybowski took over this
package. Therefore taking him into the loop.

Am Montag, den 03.12.2018, 22:20 -0200 schrieb Paulo Henrique Santana:

> Hi Python Team and Benjamin, could you give me some orientation to my
> issue below?
>
> A while ago I packaged [1] a software named Flask-SocketIO [2].
> It depends of other software named python-socketio, and I could find
> this package on Debian that time [3]. In fact this package is gevent-
> socketio software [4].
>
> But as you can see in this bug reported [5], Flask-SocketIO can't use
> gevent-socketio.
>
>   From flask_socketio/__init__.py:
>        if gevent_socketio_found:
>            print('The gevent-socketio package is incompatible with
> this version of '
>                  'the Flask-SocketIO extension. Please uninstall it,
> and then '
>                  'install the latest version of python-socketio in
> its place.')
>            sys.exit(1)
>
> The upstream (Miguel) that developed Flask-SocketIO has developed
> other python-socketio [6].
> So, I throught to package this python-socketio from Miguel to close
> the Flask-SocketIO bug.
>
> gevent-socketio seems to be stoped since 2016 and it does not seem to
> be update to Python 3. When I install it, it is under the tree:
> /usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/socketio
>
> My package with python-socketio (from Miguel) uses namespace
> "socketio" too, and it would be under the tree:
> /usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/socketio
>
> So. what is a good a solution to this?
> Keep my python-socketio on Python3 tree and gevent-socketio on
> Python2.7?
> Use Conflicts field to force the user to remove gevent-socketio
> before install python-socketio?
> Or other solution?
>
> [1] https://tracker.debian.org/pkg/flask-socketio
> [2] https://github.com/miguelgrinberg/Flask-SocketIO
> [3] https://tracker.debian.org/pkg/gevent-socketio
> [4] https://pypi.org/project/gevent-socketio/#files
> [5] https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=879631
> [6] http://github.com/miguelgrinberg/python-socketio

IMO the best solution is to work together with upstream to resolve the
Python namespace conflict. Then both packages use different paths in
/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages and can be installed and used in
parallel.

--
Benjamin Drung
System Developer

1&1 IONOS Cloud GmbH | Greifswalder Str. 207 | 10405 Berlin | Germany
E-mail: [hidden email] | Web: www.ionos.de

Head Office: Berlin, Germany
District Court Berlin Charlottenburg, Registration number: HRB 125506 B
Executive Management: Christoph Steffens, Matthias Steinberg, Achim
Weiss

Member of United Internet

Re: python-socketio x gevent-socketio

William Grzybowski
On Thu, 2019-07-18 at 10:47 +0200, Benjamin Drung wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I orphaned gevent-websocket and William Grzybowski took over this
> package. Therefore taking him into the loop.

Not clear how websocket package is related but I will try to help!

> Am Montag, den 03.12.2018, 22:20 -0200 schrieb Paulo Henrique
> Santana:
> > So. what is a good a solution to this?
> > Keep my python-socketio on Python3 tree and gevent-socketio on
> > Python2.7?
> > Use Conflicts field to force the user to remove gevent-socketio
> > before install python-socketio?
> > Or other solution?
> >
> > [1] https://tracker.debian.org/pkg/flask-socketio
> > [2] https://github.com/miguelgrinberg/Flask-SocketIO
> > [3] https://tracker.debian.org/pkg/gevent-socketio
> > [4] https://pypi.org/project/gevent-socketio/#files
> > [5] https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=879631
> > [6] http://github.com/miguelgrinberg/python-socketio
>
> IMO the best solution is to work together with upstream to resolve
> the
> Python namespace conflict. Then both packages use different paths in
> /usr/lib/python3/dist-packages and can be installed and used in
> parallel.
IMO gevent-socketio is pretty much a dead or extremely low maintenance
upstream, we could try talking to them but its likely we wont reach out
to a consensus, renaming python modules is terrible from both point of
views.

That said, python-socketio has no reverse dependencies so it would be
somewhat easy to rename python-socketio to python-gevent-socketio,
create the new package as python3-socketio to not have any confusion
with the naming and set up conflicts for them.

Who knows? Maybe gevent-socketio will get active again and add py3
support, which then we would need python3-gevent-socketio.

If it doesn't it will get removed as python 2.x support will eventually
get dropped.