question: what will happen to buster when kernel 4.19 goes out of life in Dec2020?

question: what will happen to buster when kernel 4.19 goes out of life in Dec2020?

Thierry Vilmart-3
question:

What will happen to buster when kernel 4.19 goes out of life in
Dec2020?

See EOL for 4.19.
https://www.kernel.org/category/releases.html

If buster debian 10 has to change the kernel to 5 in Dec 2020, it will
be untested. And it would be preferable to have kernel 5 before buster
is realeased during the testing phase.

Or will you do your own patchsets on an out of life 4.19 kernel?

Regards
Thierry

Re: question: what will happen to buster when kernel 4.19 goes out of life in Dec2020?

Ben Hutchings-3
On Fri, 2019-04-12 at 15:51 +0000, Thierry Vilmart wrote:
> question:
>
> What will happen to buster when kernel 4.19 goes out of life in
> Dec2020?
>
> See EOL for 4.19.
> https://www.kernel.org/category/releases.html

This is quite likely to be extended to 6 years, as has happened with
4.4 and 4.9.

The Civil Infrastructure Platform (CIP) is also maintaining a 4.19
branch and aims to do so for 10 years (but covering a limited feature
set).

> If buster debian 10 has to change the kernel to 5 in Dec 2020, it will
> be untested. And it would be preferable to have kernel 5 before buster
> is realeased during the testing phase.
>
> Or will you do your own patchsets on an out of life 4.19 kernel?

If Greg K-H does not maintain 4.19 for long enough, the Debian kernel
team would probably work with CIP on backporting important fixes.

Ben.

--
Ben Hutchings
Hoare's Law of Large Problems:

worry: Debian buster and debian based distributions will miss kernel 5 and AMD Free Sync for 2 years

Thierry Vilmart-3

Let me just express my worry that Debian buster and debian based
distributions like Ubuntu will miss kernel 5 and AMD Free Sync for 2
years until next Debian release in 2 years.

fact 1: AMD Free sync needs the kernel 5, and it is a very nice feature
to adapt the monitor's refresh rate smarter than V-sync, and to avoid
tearing.

fact 2: kernel 4.19 goes out of life in Dec 2020

As debated on the debian forum.

Best Regards
Thierry Vilmart

fre 2019-04-12 klockan 17:51 +0200 skrev Thierry Vilmart:

> question:
>
> What will happen to buster when kernel 4.19 goes out of life in
> Dec2020?
>
> See EOL for 4.19.
> https://www.kernel.org/category/releases.html
>

> If buster debian 10 has to change the kernel to 5 in Dec 2020, it
> will
> be untested. And it would be preferable to have kernel 5 before
> buster
> is realeased during the testing phase.
>
> Or will you do your own patchsets on an out of life 4.19 kernel?
>
> Regards
> Thierry

Re: worry: Debian buster and debian based distributions will miss kernel 5 and AMD Free Sync for 2 years

Eric Degenetais
Le mer. 17 avr. 2019 17:36, Thierry Vilmart <[hidden email]> a écrit :
Hi,

Let me just express my worry that Debian buster and debian based
distributions like Ubuntu will miss kernel 5 and AMD Free Sync for 2
years until next Debian release in 2 years.
I for one, am not afraid of this. Backports for New major versions have been available in the past (ex: the 4.x line in Jessie).
One thing I'm rather happy about, in fact, is NOT to undergo a cowboy-style major version upgrade at gunpoint.

On Wed, 2019-04-17 at 08:29 +0000, Thierry Vilmart wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Let me just express my worry that Debian buster and debian based
> distributions like Ubuntu will miss kernel 5 and AMD Free Sync for 2
> years until next Debian release in 2 years.
>
> fact 1: AMD Free sync needs the kernel 5, and it is a very nice feature
> to adapt the monitor's refresh rate smarter than V-sync, and to avoid
> tearing.

The current 5.x version (probably 5.1) will be available in buster-
backports soon after buster is released.

And to quote Linus: ""5.0" doesn't mean anything more than that the 4.x
numbers started getting big enough that I ran out of fingers and toes."

> fact 2: kernel 4.19 goes out of life in Dec 2020
[...]

I addressed this in
<https://lists.debian.org/debian-kernel/2019/04/msg00116.html>.

Ben.

--
Ben Hutchings
Make three consecutive correct guesses and you will be considered