questions

Andrew Swerdlow
Hi I just have a few questions, which I could not quite find on the web
site.

1) how many active developer work on debian?

2) How can I contribute code to the project? (what is the process)

3) what is the organizational structure of the organization?

Thank you

Andrew S

Re: questions

Andrew M.A. Cater
On Thu, Jun 02, 2005 at 10:18:52PM -0700, Andrew Swerdlow wrote:
> Hi I just have a few questions, which I could not quite find on the web
> site.
>
> 1) how many active developer work on debian?

Round about 1000, spread worldwide. [A few are relatively inactive,
there is always an amount of maintainer churn, with new people joining
and a few retiring. Some Debian developers are much more visible on
the mailing lists than others, for example, so it's not easy to see
just how many there are at any one time.]

> 2) How can I contribute code to the project? (what is the process)

Read mailing lists for a month or so, perhaps contribute bug fixes.
Apply through the Debian New Maintainer process: look at www.debian.org
and check out the Developers link as a starting point.

> 3) what is the organizational structure of the organization?

All developers are effectively equal. Some take on onerous tasks like
being ftpmasters / release managers / application managers for new
maintainers. Some of these roles are now being taken up by teams of
developers. The Debian project leader is elected by the developers:
[his] - we haven't had a woman yet - role is to be a spokesperson /
point of contact and whatever else we need him to be. In general,
Debian is NOT hierarchical or heavily structured :) Every DD is a
volunteer.

If you're interested in becoming a developer, it may help to read
the debian mentors list - which is designed for people to help and
advise prospective developers. While it is natural to post to
debian-project at first sight, this may not be the most appropriate
list.

Andy

> Thank you
>
> Andrew S

Re: questions

Joey Schulze

http://db.debian.org/

http://www.debian.org/devel/join/

> 3) what is the organizational structure of the organization?

http://www.debian.org/intro/organization

Regards,

        Joey

--
If you come from outside of Finland, you live in wrong country.
        -- motd of irc.funet.fi

Re: questions

Adrian von Bidder
On Friday 03 June 2005 09.19, Andrew M.A. Cater wrote:
> > 2) How can I contribute code to the project? (what is the process)
>
> Read mailing lists for a month or so, perhaps contribute bug fixes.
> Apply through the Debian New Maintainer process: look at www.debian.org
> and check out the Developers link as a starting point.

I recommend contributing to Debian in the form of bug triage/fixes, taking
on orphaned packages, doing translations, web page work, research work on a
topic that interests you, ... - poackaging some piece of software you don't
really need just because you want/need a package of your own is imho NOT a
good way to contribute to Debian.  Debian has many packages already, and
adding more packages just for the fun of it is besides the point.  Of
course, if you regularly use a piece of software which is not yet packaged,
by all means go for it.

Feel free to contact me off-list if you want to contribute and are not quite
sure where to go, or if you want to contribute but don't know what you'd
like to contribute.

cheers
-- vbi

--
Para aprender, perder.

RE: questions

Andrew Swerdlow
Thank you for your response.  I have another question or two if you do not
mind.

1) Does the project have formal requirements processes?  If so can you
please describe the process (eg how they are added, removed, who decides
which requirements get developed and which do not, how are requirements
documented?).

2) Your project is extremely successful (more than most commercial
projects). What would you say are the key factors for the success of your
project?

Thank you very much for you time.