quick question about dpkg-architecture

Sergio Basto
Hi,
I am the package maintainer of dpkg and debhelper on Linux Fedora .

debhelper-10.7 is failing to build in arm or ppc64le arches because
fail in 3 tests [1], now because dpkg-architecture -qDEB_HOST_GNU_TYPE
give us an warning [2], but it always had failed is not a new problem.

Question, can I add to /usr/share/dpkg/ abitable|cputable|ostable
|tupletable , any line that remove the warning ?

Thanks,

[1]
https://koji.fedoraproject.org/koji/taskinfo?taskID=20909673

[2]
+ dpkg-architecture -qDEB_BUILD_GNU_TYPE
powerpc64le-linux-gnu
+ dpkg-architecture -qDEB_HOST_GNU_TYPE
dpkg-architecture: warning: unknown CC system type ppc64le-redhat-
linux, falling back to default (native compilation)
powerpc64le-linux-gnu
Sérgio M. B.

Re: quick question about dpkg-architecture

Sergio Basto
Hello ,

On Mon, 2017-07-31 at 14:26 +0100, Sérgio Basto wrote:

> Hi,
> I am the package maintainer of dpkg and debhelper on Linux Fedora .
>
> debhelper-10.7 is failing to build in arm or ppc64le arches because
> fail in 3 tests [1], now because dpkg-architecture
> -qDEB_HOST_GNU_TYPE
> give us an warning [2], but it always had failed is not a new
> problem.
>
> Question, can I add to /usr/share/dpkg/ abitable|cputable|ostable
> > tupletable , any line that remove the warning ?

Today I built debhelper 7.1 successfully on ppc64le , so thank you for
who fix debhelper , BTW if you are interested still failing on armv7
[1] , I had report arm fail some months ago. The fail on arm is because
dpkg-architecture -qDEB_BUILD_GNU_TYPE and dpkg-architecture
-qDEB_HOST_GNU_TYPE have different results [2], any suggestion ?

Thanks.

[2]
+ dpkg-architecture -qDEB_BUILD_GNU_TYPE
arm-linux-gnu
+ dpkg-architecture -qDEB_HOST_GNU_TYPE
arm-linux-gnueabi

[1]
buildvm-armv7-13.arm.fedoraproject.org

Sérgio M. B.

https://koji.fedoraproject.org/koji/taskinfo?taskID=20943122

Sérgio M. B.

Re: quick question about dpkg-architecture

Guillem Jover
Hi!

On Tue, 2017-08-01 at 13:01:55 +0100, Sérgio Basto wrote:
> On Mon, 2017-07-31 at 14:26 +0100, Sérgio Basto wrote:
> > I am the package maintainer of dpkg and debhelper on Linux Fedora .

Yeah, we've interacted in the past. :)

> > Question, can I add to /usr/share/dpkg/ abitable|cputable|ostable
> > > tupletable , any line that remove the warning ?

The problem is that your compiler gives a different triplet than the
one used by dpkg itself.

> BTW if you are interested still failing on armv7
> [1] , I had report arm fail some months ago. The fail on arm is because
> dpkg-architecture -qDEB_BUILD_GNU_TYPE and dpkg-architecture
> -qDEB_HOST_GNU_TYPE have different results [2], any suggestion ?
>
> [2]
> + dpkg-architecture -qDEB_BUILD_GNU_TYPE
> arm-linux-gnu
> + dpkg-architecture -qDEB_HOST_GNU_TYPE
> arm-linux-gnueabi

This looks indeed fishy. What's the output of:

  % dpkg --print-architecture
  % $CC -dumpmachine

Thanks,
Guillem

On Wed, 2017-08-02 at 01:15 +0200, Guillem Jover wrote:

> Hi!
>
> On Tue, 2017-08-01 at 13:01:55 +0100, Sérgio Basto wrote:
> > On Mon, 2017-07-31 at 14:26 +0100, Sérgio Basto wrote:
> > > I am the package maintainer of dpkg and debhelper on Linux Fedora
> > > .
>
> Yeah, we've interacted in the past. :)
>
> > > Question, can I add to /usr/share/dpkg/ abitable|cputable|ostable
>
> The problem is that your compiler gives a different triplet than the
> one used by dpkg itself.
>
> > BTW if you are interested still failing on armv7
> > [1] , I had report arm fail some months ago. The fail on arm is
> > because
> > dpkg-architecture -qDEB_BUILD_GNU_TYPE and dpkg-architecture
> > -qDEB_HOST_GNU_TYPE have different results [2], any suggestion ?
> >
> > [2]
> > + dpkg-architecture -qDEB_BUILD_GNU_TYPE
> > arm-linux-gnu
> > + dpkg-architecture -qDEB_HOST_GNU_TYPE
> > arm-linux-gnueabi
>
> This looks indeed fishy. What's the output of:
>
>   % dpkg --print-architecture
>   % $CC -dumpmachine

I could get a test in arm yet , but on ppc64le (which failed) I got :

+ cd debhelper
+ dpkg-architecture -qDEB_BUILD_GNU_TYPE
powerpc64le-linux-gnu
+ dpkg-architecture -qDEB_HOST_GNU_TYPE
dpkg-architecture: warning: unknown CC system type ppc64le-redhat-
linux, falling back to default (native compilation)
powerpc64le-linux-gnu
+ cc -dumpmachine
ppc64le-redhat-linux

but not failed in aarch64 with:

+ cd debhelper
+ dpkg-architecture -qDEB_BUILD_GNU_TYPE
aarch64-linux-gnu
+ dpkg-architecture -qDEB_HOST_GNU_TYPE
aarch64-linux-gnu
+ cc -dumpmachine
aarch64-redhat-linux

Sérgio M. B.

On Sun, 2017-08-06 at 04:36 +0100, Sérgio Basto wrote:

> On Wed, 2017-08-02 at 01:15 +0200, Guillem Jover wrote:
> > Hi!

> > Yeah, we've interacted in the past. :)

> > The problem is that your compiler gives a different triplet than
> > the
> > one used by dpkg itself.
> >
> > > BTW if you are interested still failing on armv7
> > > [1] , I had report arm fail some months ago. The fail on arm is
> > > because
> > > dpkg-architecture -qDEB_BUILD_GNU_TYPE and dpkg-architecture
> > > -qDEB_HOST_GNU_TYPE have different results [2], any suggestion ?
> > >
> > > [2]
> > > + dpkg-architecture -qDEB_BUILD_GNU_TYPE
> > > arm-linux-gnu
> > > + dpkg-architecture -qDEB_HOST_GNU_TYPE
> > > arm-linux-gnueabi
> >
> > This looks indeed fishy. What's the output of:
> >
> >   % dpkg --print-architecture
> >   % $CC -dumpmachine
>
> I could get a test in arm yet , but on ppc64le (which failed) I got :
>
> + cd debhelper
> + dpkg-architecture -qDEB_BUILD_GNU_TYPE
> powerpc64le-linux-gnu
> + dpkg-architecture -qDEB_HOST_GNU_TYPE
> dpkg-architecture: warning: unknown CC system type ppc64le-redhat-
> linux, falling back to default (native compilation)
> powerpc64le-linux-gnu
> + cc -dumpmachine
> ppc64le-redhat-linux
>
> but not failed in aarch64 with:
>
> + cd debhelper
> + dpkg-architecture -qDEB_BUILD_GNU_TYPE
> aarch64-linux-gnu
> + dpkg-architecture -qDEB_HOST_GNU_TYPE
> aarch64-linux-gnu
> + cc -dumpmachine
> aarch64-redhat-linux

Fails in armv7 :

+ dpkg-architecture -qDEB_BUILD_GNU_TYPE
arm-linux-gnu
+ dpkg-architecture -qDEB_HOST_GNU_TYPE
arm-linux-gnueabi
+ dpkg --print-architecture
arm
+ cc -dumpmachine
armv7hl-redhat-linux-gnueabi

Sérgio M. B.

On Mon, 2017-11-20 at 15:03:22 +0000, Sérgio Basto wrote:

> On Sun, 2017-08-06 at 04:36 +0100, Sérgio Basto wrote:

> > > This looks indeed fishy. What's the output of:
> > >
> > >   % dpkg --print-architecture
> > >   % $CC -dumpmachine

Sorry, it seems I lost track of the previous mail, and never replied
before. :(

> > I could get a test in arm yet , but on ppc64le (which failed) I got :
> >
> > + cd debhelper
> > + dpkg-architecture -qDEB_BUILD_GNU_TYPE
> > powerpc64le-linux-gnu
> > + dpkg-architecture -qDEB_HOST_GNU_TYPE
> > dpkg-architecture: warning: unknown CC system type ppc64le-redhat-
> > linux, falling back to default (native compilation)
> > powerpc64le-linux-gnu
> > + cc -dumpmachine
> > ppc64le-redhat-linux

That's because dpkg-architecture does not recognize ppc64(el|le|)
as a known GNU triplet. Even config.sub normalizes that to powerpc64:

  $ /usr/share/misc/config.sub ppc64le-redhat-linux
  powerpc64le-redhat-linux-gnu

> > but not failed in aarch64 with:
> >
> > + cd debhelper
> > + dpkg-architecture -qDEB_BUILD_GNU_TYPE
> > aarch64-linux-gnu
> > + dpkg-architecture -qDEB_HOST_GNU_TYPE
> > aarch64-linux-gnu
> > + cc -dumpmachine
> > aarch64-redhat-linux
>
> Fails in armv7 :
>
> + dpkg-architecture -qDEB_BUILD_GNU_TYPE
> arm-linux-gnu
> + dpkg-architecture -qDEB_HOST_GNU_TYPE
> arm-linux-gnueabi
> + dpkg --print-architecture
> arm
> + cc -dumpmachine
> armv7hl-redhat-linux-gnueabi

A similar problem here, well, worse because the arch the compiled dpkg
thinks it is built for has nothing to do with armv7! The arm arch is
the old non-EABI arch. The correct arch here should be armel.

  $ dpkg-architecture -tarmv7hl-redhat-linux-gnueabi -qDEB_HOST_ARCH
  armel

So either the dpkg was built for the old ARM OABI, and the compiler is
for ARM EABI, or something was wrong during compilation?

Thanks,
Guillem