"Missing charsets in String to FontSet conversion" error

"Missing charsets in String to FontSet conversion" error

ze phyr
hi debianers,

When I launch xdvi, xfontsel, I noticed an exceedingly long launch time and
the CPU load is 99%.

When these programs exit, I got a message:

Warning: Missing charsets in String to FontSet conversion

After googling, I see a similar question asked but not solved:

http://lists.debian.org/debian-powerpc/2000/05/msg00403.html

My question is, has anyone come across this problem before? How to slove it?

My system configuration is Debian/Sid and I think the problem is related to
locale or Asian languages so here is my locale. I also use SCIM as input
method to input Chinese.

LANG=en_US.UTF-8
LC_CTYPE=zh_CN.UTF-8
LC_NUMERIC="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_TIME="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_ALL=

It seems that this issue is zh_CN-UTF-8 locale related. If I change into
en_US.UTF-8 locale, the problem seems disappear.

--
regards
phyrster

God created a few perfect heads.  The rest he covered with hair.

Re: "Missing charsets in String to FontSet conversion" error

ze phyr
On 20:00 Sat 21 Jan 2006, Jan Willem Stumpel wrote:
> >When I launch xdvi, xfontsel, I noticed an exceedingly long launch
> >time and the CPU load is 99%.
>
> >When these programs exit, I got a message:
>
> >Warning: Missing charsets in String to FontSet conversion
>
> It is a long shot, but you could try
Pardon me.
What do you mean by 'a long shot" do you mean the problem is hard to solve?
> dpkg-reconfigure x-ttcidfonts-conf
> and set the "backend" to "freetype".

I did what you told me and the problem remains if the locale is zh_CN.UTF-8.
When I switch back to en_US.UTF-8, then the warning is gone.

Do you think it is because I installed some ttf fonts in my system?

--
regards
phyrster