relational database tracking of packages and updates

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
4 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

relational database tracking of packages and updates

Matt Zagrabelny
Greetings,

Does anyone know of a "software inventory" solution for Debian (or other GNU/Linux OSes) ?

I'm thinking something that keeps track of packages. I.e. when various package versions become available and when upgrades happen to said packages.

There are a variety of ways of attacking this problem and I'm wondering if anyone has already had some success in the domain?

Thanks for any pointers!

-m
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: relational database tracking of packages and updates

Greg Wooledge
On Tue, Sep 10, 2019 at 02:55:20PM -0500, Matt Zagrabelny wrote:
> Does anyone know of a "software inventory" solution for Debian (or other
> GNU/Linux OSes) ?
>
> I'm thinking something that keeps track of packages. I.e. when various
> package versions become available and when upgrades happen to said packages.
>
> There are a variety of ways of attacking this problem and I'm wondering if
> anyone has already had some success in the domain?

https://wiki.debian.org/UltimateDebianDatabase/

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: relational database tracking of packages and updates

Matt Zagrabelny

On Tue, Sep 10, 2019 at 9:38 PM Greg Wooledge <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Tue, Sep 10, 2019 at 02:55:20PM -0500, Matt Zagrabelny wrote:
> Does anyone know of a "software inventory" solution for Debian (or other
> GNU/Linux OSes) ?
>
> I'm thinking something that keeps track of packages. I.e. when various
> package versions become available and when upgrades happen to said packages.
>
> There are a variety of ways of attacking this problem and I'm wondering if
> anyone has already had some success in the domain?

https://wiki.debian.org/UltimateDebianDatabase/

Thanks for the pointer, Greg.

I was hoping to have some sort of package I could install on each system I admin. There would be a script or something that would keep a database updated of what is happening with packages on that system.

I could then interact with the database. In pseudo-SQL:

select * from hosts, packages, etc. where package_name = 'apache2' and package_state = 'installed' and package_version <= '2.4';

Not sure if anyone has done something like this or not.

-m
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: relational database tracking of packages and updates

Greg Wooledge
On Wed, Sep 11, 2019 at 01:23:20PM -0500, Matt Zagrabelny wrote:
> I was hoping to have some sort of package I could install on each system I
> admin. There would be a script or something that would keep a database
> updated of what is happening with packages on that system.

The closest equivalent of that is dpkg's log files.

/var/log/dpkg.log*

You could write something that parses them and stores information
in an sqlite database, or whatever.  I don't know of any existing
implementations.