renaming gtk2-engines-gtk-qt

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
5 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

renaming gtk2-engines-gtk-qt

Bastian Venthur-2
Hi devs,

I've adopted the package gtk-qt-engine a few days ago and wonder why the
binary is actually named "gtk2-engines-gtk-qt". I'm not really happy
with this name and would like to rename the package back to upstreams
name "gtk-qt-engine".

Here some thoughts:

First, the package is not really a gnome package since it's mostly
interesting for KDE users. So the gtk2-engines-naming scheme is a bit
misleading. Especially for gnome-users just browsing for gnome-themes or
KDE-users searching directly for the gtk-qt-engine.

Second, the package is not really a gtk2-theme. In fact it provides a
program for the KDE control center which allows to chose one of the
available gnome themes OR the "look-like-QT-theme" for gtk apps.

I'm not sure why the former maintainer of this package decided to name
the package this way. I've asked him and he is not sure anymore but
seems to be uncomfortable with the name as well today.

I'd really like to rename the package back to "gtk-qt-engine", but since
I'm not sure why the package has it's current name, I ask on this list.


Best regards,

Bastian


--
Bastian Venthur
http://venthur.de



--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to [hidden email]
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: renaming gtk2-engines-gtk-qt

Josselin Mouette
Le samedi 29 juillet 2006 à 16:11 +0200, Bastian Venthur a écrit :

> Hi devs,
>
> I've adopted the package gtk-qt-engine a few days ago and wonder why the
> binary is actually named "gtk2-engines-gtk-qt". I'm not really happy
> with this name and would like to rename the package back to upstreams
> name "gtk-qt-engine".
>
> Here some thoughts:
>
> First, the package is not really a gnome package since it's mostly
> interesting for KDE users. So the gtk2-engines-naming scheme is a bit
> misleading. Especially for gnome-users just browsing for gnome-themes or
> KDE-users searching directly for the gtk-qt-engine.
>
> Second, the package is not really a gtk2-theme. In fact it provides a
> program for the KDE control center which allows to chose one of the
> available gnome themes OR the "look-like-QT-theme" for gtk apps.
>
> I'm not sure why the former maintainer of this package decided to name
> the package this way. I've asked him and he is not sure anymore but
> seems to be uncomfortable with the name as well today.
>
> I'd really like to rename the package back to "gtk-qt-engine", but since
> I'm not sure why the package has it's current name, I ask on this list.
As I've already told you in private on friday, this naming scheme didn't
came from the GNOME team, but originally GTK1 themes were named
gtk-engines-foo, and GTK2 themes gtk2-engines-foo. Currently most of
them have been merged in the gtk2-engines package.

I'd say it is better to conform to this naming scheme unless there is a
good reason not to do so. It is just more clear for users.

Now, if the package isn't only a gtk2 engine, maybe it's worth being
split into 2 parts. However renaming to gtk-qt-engine, breaking the
naming scheme just to have the same name as the source package, seems
pretty counterproductive to me.
--
 .''`.           Josselin Mouette        /\./\
: :' :           [hidden email]
`. `'                        [hidden email]
  `-  Debian GNU/Linux -- The power of freedom

signature.asc (196 bytes) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: renaming gtk2-engines-gtk-qt

Bastian Venthur-2
Josselin Mouette wrote:

> Le samedi 29 juillet 2006 à 16:11 +0200, Bastian Venthur a écrit :
>> Hi devs,
>>
>> I've adopted the package gtk-qt-engine a few days ago and wonder why the
>> binary is actually named "gtk2-engines-gtk-qt". I'm not really happy
>> with this name and would like to rename the package back to upstreams
>> name "gtk-qt-engine".
>>
>> Here some thoughts:
>>
>> First, the package is not really a gnome package since it's mostly
>> interesting for KDE users. So the gtk2-engines-naming scheme is a bit
>> misleading. Especially for gnome-users just browsing for gnome-themes or
>> KDE-users searching directly for the gtk-qt-engine.
>>
>> Second, the package is not really a gtk2-theme. In fact it provides a
>> program for the KDE control center which allows to chose one of the
>> available gnome themes OR the "look-like-QT-theme" for gtk apps.
>>
>> I'm not sure why the former maintainer of this package decided to name
>> the package this way. I've asked him and he is not sure anymore but
>> seems to be uncomfortable with the name as well today.
>>
>> I'd really like to rename the package back to "gtk-qt-engine", but since
>> I'm not sure why the package has it's current name, I ask on this list.
>
> As I've already told you in private on friday, this naming scheme didn't
> came from the GNOME team, but originally GTK1 themes were named
> gtk-engines-foo, and GTK2 themes gtk2-engines-foo. Currently most of
> them have been merged in the gtk2-engines package.

And gtk-qt-engine is not part of gtk2-engines -- for good reason as
explained above.

> I'd say it is better to conform to this naming scheme unless there is a
> good reason not to do so. It is just more clear for users.

I've given some arguments yesterday. The renaming would be painless and
a smooth upgrade without user interaction is possible [1].

> Now, if the package isn't only a gtk2 engine, maybe it's worth being
> split into 2 parts. However renaming to gtk-qt-engine, breaking the
> naming scheme just to have the same name as the source package, seems
> pretty counterproductive to me.

No I don't see any reasons to split the package. It is intended for KDE
users and provides full functionality as it is for them. Splitting it up
would make things only more complicated.

Maybe some official document describing the features a package must have
to fit into the gtk2-engines naming scheme would help to clear the
situation.

Please note that I'm not against the naming schemes. More than the half
of my packages follows the KDE-naming scheme. But in this case I just
don't see gtk-qt-engines fit into the current scheme.


Cheers,

Bastian


1. http://wiki.debian.org/Renaming_a_Package

--
Bastian Venthur
http://venthur.de


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to [hidden email]
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: renaming gtk2-engines-gtk-qt

Amaya Rodrigo Sastre
Bastian Venthur wrote:
> No I don't see any reasons to split the package. It is intended for
> KDE users and provides full functionality as it is for them. Splitting
> it up would make things only more complicated.

I would say the people to coordinate with are the KDE packagers, then.

--
  ·''`.          Policy is your friend. Trust the Policy.
 : :' :     Love the Policy. Obey the Policy. -- Lars Wirzenius
 `. `'           Proudly running unstable Debian GNU/Linux
   `-     www.amayita.com  www.malapecora.com  www.chicasduras.com


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to [hidden email]
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: renaming gtk2-engines-gtk-qt

Josselin Mouette
In reply to this post by Bastian Venthur-2
Le dimanche 30 juillet 2006 à 11:51 +0200, Bastian Venthur a écrit :
> > I'd say it is better to conform to this naming scheme unless there is a
> > good reason not to do so. It is just more clear for users.
>
> I've given some arguments yesterday. The renaming would be painless and
> a smooth upgrade without user interaction is possible [1].

This is not the point. The point is to have all engines fit in the same
naming scheme.

> No I don't see any reasons to split the package. It is intended for KDE
> users and provides full functionality as it is for them. Splitting it up
> would make things only more complicated.

But it would allow to use this engine for non-KDE users.

> Maybe some official document describing the features a package must have
> to fit into the gtk2-engines naming scheme would help to clear the
> situation.

/usr/lib/gtk-2.0/2.4.0/engines/libfoo.so
If you have such a file, I think it's better to follow the naming
scheme. There isn't any kind of policy on this matter anyway, and given
the small number of such packages, we don't need one.

> Please note that I'm not against the naming schemes. More than the half
> of my packages follows the KDE-naming scheme. But in this case I just
> don't see gtk-qt-engines fit into the current scheme.

Frankly, I don't care much; this is your package, you name it as you
want to. You're asking for advice from GNOME people, and my *personal*
advice is to not change the package name. You shouldn't waste your time
trying to convince me, because even if you do, that won't change
anything :)
--
 .''`.           Josselin Mouette        /\./\
: :' :           [hidden email]
`. `'                        [hidden email]
  `-  Debian GNU/Linux -- The power of freedom

signature.asc (196 bytes) Download Attachment