replying to list

Jon Miller-5
Is there a simple way to reply to the list when using the digest form.  It just that I do not want a lot of email floating around so I selected to have the digest only come to me.  But I find it difficult to reply to an individual from the digest.  anyone know of a better way to doing this?

Thanks

Re: replying to list

Marc PERRUDIN
Jon Miller a écrit :

>Is there a simple way to reply to the list when using the digest form.  It just that I do not want a lot of email floating around so I selected to have the digest only come to me.  But I find it difficult to reply to an individual from the digest.  anyone know of a better way to doing this?

You can use http://lists.debian.org/debian-user. For each email, you
have links to reply with your email programme.

cu.

>Thanks

Re: replying to list

Paul Johnson
On Thursday 02 February 2006 06:17, Jon Miller wrote:
> Is there a simple way to reply to the list when using the digest form.

You have to split the digest back into it's individual messages, then hit
reply-to-list on the appropriate message.  The only thing digest gets you is
all the day's messages in one delivery and is only really useful for dialup
users.  The only way to receive fewer messages from the list is to not
subscribe to it.

--
Paul Johnson
Email and IM (XMPP & Google Talk): [hidden email]

Re: replying to list

Magnus Therning
On Thu, Feb 02, 2006 at 07:53:13AM -0800, Paul Johnson wrote:
>On Thursday 02 February 2006 06:17, Jon Miller wrote:
>> Is there a simple way to reply to the list when using the digest form.
>
>You have to split the digest back into it's individual messages, then
>hit reply-to-list on the appropriate message.  The only thing digest
>gets you is all the day's messages in one delivery and is only really
>useful for dialup users.  The only way to receive fewer messages from
>the list is to not subscribe to it.

If the digest is made by attaching the emails as MIME attachmnts then
there are email clients that can handle replying to an individual
attachment (i.e. to a single mail). Mutt handles that without problems.

/M

--
Magnus Therning                    (OpenPGP: 0xAB4DFBA4)
[hidden email]

by patent law on written works.

I have steadily endeavored to keep my mind free, so as to give up any
hypothesis, however much beloved -- and I cannot resist forming one
on every subject -- as soon as facts are shown to be opposed to it.
     -- Charles Darwin (1809-1882)

Re: replying to list

linux4michelle
Hello Jon,

Am 2006-02-02 22:17:41, schrieb Jon  Miller:
> Is there a simple way to reply to the list when using the digest form.  It just that I do not want a lot of email floating around so I selected to have the digest only come to me.  But I find it difficult to reply to an individual from the digest.  anyone know of a better way to doing this?
>
> Thanks
------------------------- END OF REPLYED MESSAGE -------------------------

If you use fetchmail/procmail look into the documentation of formail
how to split the digest into seperated messages from a procmail recipe.

I think, you need something like

----8<----------------------------------------------------------
:0
* ^X-Mailing-List:.*debian-user-digest
{
  :0fw
  |formail -ds

  # Here go the splited messages...
  :0
  * ^TO_debian-user@lists\.debian\.org
  .Debian/

  # Save the original digest
  :0
  * ^X-Mailing-List:.*debian-user-digest@lists\.debian\.org
  .Debian-digest/
}
----8<----------------------------------------------------------

OR if you use mutt as your MUA, then if you select the digest,
press "v" to see the parts of the digest and select an attachment
message/rfc822 and then you can respond individualy

Greetings
    Michelle Konzack
    Systemadministrator
    Tamay Dogan Network
    Debian GNU/Linux Consultant

Michelle Konzack   Apt. 917                  ICQ #328449886
                   50, rue de Soultz         MSM LinuxMichi
0033/3/88452356    67100 Strasbourg/France   IRC #Debian (irc.icq.com)