s390(x) mirror failures on install

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
3 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

s390(x) mirror failures on install

Frank Griffin
Hello,

I am trying to install *any* Debian s390 (currently 8.11) version on
Hercules.  I successfully boot the installer and configure the network,
and successfully ssh from my host system to the installer, but no matter
which mirror I pick I consistently get failures claiming the mirror does
not support the release.

/var/log/syslog has the following:

Jan 19 01:09:55 main-menu[243]: INFO: Menu item 'choose-mirror' selected
Jan 19 01:09:55 anna-install: Queueing udeb apt-mirror-setup for later
installation
Jan 19 01:10:28 choose-mirror[1248]: DEBUG: command: wget -q
http://mirrors.kernel.org/debian/dists$
Jan 19 01:10:48 choose-mirror[1248]: DEBUG: command: wget -q
http://mirrors.kernel.org/debian/dists$
Jan 19 01:11:08 choose-mirror[1248]: DEBUG: command: wget -q
http://mirrors.kernel.org/debian/dists$
Jan 19 01:11:28 choose-mirror[1248]: DEBUG: command: wget -q
http://mirrors.kernel.org/debian/dists$
Jan 19 01:11:48 choose-mirror[1248]: INFO: mirror does not have any
suite symlinks
Jan 19 01:11:48 choose-mirror[1248]: DEBUG: command: wget -q
http://mirrors.kernel.org/debian/dists$
Jan 19 01:12:08 choose-mirror[1248]: WARNING **: mirror does not support
the specified release (jes$
Jan 19 01:25:03 main-menu[243]: (process:1241): wget: bad address
'mirrors.kernel.org'
Jan 19 01:25:03 main-menu[243]: (process:1241): wget: bad address
'mirrors.kernel.org'
Jan 19 01:25:03 main-menu[243]: (process:1241): wget: bad address
'mirrors.kernel.org'
Jan 19 01:25:03 main-menu[243]: (process:1241): wget: bad address
'mirrors.kernel.org'

What am I doing wrong ?

TIA

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: s390(x) mirror failures on install

Philipp Kern-6
On 1/19/2019 2:49 AM, Frank Griffin wrote:

> I am trying to install *any* Debian s390 (currently 8.11) version on
> Hercules.  I successfully boot the installer and configure the network,
> and successfully ssh from my host system to the installer, but no matter
> which mirror I pick I consistently get failures claiming the mirror does
> not support the release.
>
> /var/log/syslog has the following:
>
> Jan 19 01:09:55 main-menu[243]: INFO: Menu item 'choose-mirror' selected
> Jan 19 01:09:55 anna-install: Queueing udeb apt-mirror-setup for later
> installation
> Jan 19 01:10:28 choose-mirror[1248]: DEBUG: command: wget -q
> http://mirrors.kernel.org/debian/dists$
> Jan 19 01:10:48 choose-mirror[1248]: DEBUG: command: wget -q
> http://mirrors.kernel.org/debian/dists$
> Jan 19 01:11:08 choose-mirror[1248]: DEBUG: command: wget -q
> http://mirrors.kernel.org/debian/dists$
> Jan 19 01:11:28 choose-mirror[1248]: DEBUG: command: wget -q
> http://mirrors.kernel.org/debian/dists$
> Jan 19 01:11:48 choose-mirror[1248]: INFO: mirror does not have any
> suite symlinks
> Jan 19 01:11:48 choose-mirror[1248]: DEBUG: command: wget -q
> http://mirrors.kernel.org/debian/dists$
> Jan 19 01:12:08 choose-mirror[1248]: WARNING **: mirror does not support
> the specified release (jes$
> Jan 19 01:25:03 main-menu[243]: (process:1241): wget: bad address
> 'mirrors.kernel.org'
> Jan 19 01:25:03 main-menu[243]: (process:1241): wget: bad address
> 'mirrors.kernel.org'
> Jan 19 01:25:03 main-menu[243]: (process:1241): wget: bad address
> 'mirrors.kernel.org'
> Jan 19 01:25:03 main-menu[243]: (process:1241): wget: bad address
> 'mirrors.kernel.org'
I'd say you don't have internet connectivity from within the emulated
machine. At least DNS seems to be not working, hence wget complaining
about the hostnames.

Kind regards
Philipp Kern

pEpkey.asc (1K) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: s390(x) mirror failures on install

Frank Griffin
On 1/20/19 11:51 AM, Philipp Kern wrote:

> On 1/19/2019 2:49 AM, Frank Griffin wrote:
>> I am trying to install *any* Debian s390 (currently 8.11) version on
>> Hercules.  I successfully boot the installer and configure the network,
>> and successfully ssh from my host system to the installer, but no matter
>> which mirror I pick I consistently get failures claiming the mirror does
>> not support the release.
>>
>>
>> I'd say you don't have internet connectivity from within the emulated
>> machine. At least DNS seems to be not working, hence wget complaining
>> about the hostnames.
>>
Thanks Philippe, that makes sense.  I should have spotted that but I
guess getting in with SSH gave me a blind spot as regards the network. 
I'll try debugging this from an installer shell.