[sbuild] how to create chroot environment

[sbuild] how to create chroot environment

Alexei Fedotov
Hello,
I've installed sbuild ver 0.73.0-4 and tried creating chroot environment

I used the following command and get an error.

devops@devops:~/git/docker.io$ sudo sbuild-createchroot
--include=eatmydata,ccache,gnupg unstable
/srv/chroot/unstable-amd64-sbuild http://deb.debian.org/debian
open3: exec of schroot -l --all-source-chroots failed: No such file or
directory at /usr/sbin/sbuild-createchroot line 217.

It seems "schroot" chommand is called, and it is nowhere to be found.
How could I create the chroot env?

--
Carry a towel
http://dataved.ru/

[1] Join Alexei Fedotov @linkedin, http://ru.linkedin.com/in/dataved/
[2] Join Alexei Fedotov @facebook, http://www.facebook.com/openmeetings
[3] Start using Apache Openmeetings today, http://openmeetings.apache.org/

Re: [sbuild] how to create chroot environment

Georgi Naplatanov
On 4/15/19 2:02 PM, Alexei Fedotov wrote:

> Hello,
> I've installed sbuild ver 0.73.0-4 and tried creating chroot environment
>
> I used the following command and get an error.
>
> devops@devops:~/git/docker.io$ sudo sbuild-createchroot
> --include=eatmydata,ccache,gnupg unstable
> /srv/chroot/unstable-amd64-sbuild http://deb.debian.org/debian
> open3: exec of schroot -l --all-source-chroots failed: No such file or
> directory at /usr/sbin/sbuild-createchroot line 217.
>
> It seems "schroot" chommand is called, and it is nowhere to be found.

"schroot" is a Debian package and you can install it easily.

> How could I create the chroot env?

There are other ways (debootstrap for example) but if you want to use
"sbuild" then "schroot" is the preferred way I think.

Kind regards
Georgi

Re: [sbuild] how to create chroot environment

Alexei Fedotov
Georgi, thanks!
it seems schroot package is somehow missed in my repository, I will
look into it.

--

On Mon, Apr 15, 2019 at 2:23 PM Georgi Naplatanov <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 4/15/19 2:02 PM, Alexei Fedotov wrote:
> > Hello,
> > I've installed sbuild ver 0.73.0-4 and tried creating chroot environment
> >
> > I used the following command and get an error.
> >
> > devops@devops:~/git/docker.io$ sudo sbuild-createchroot
> > --include=eatmydata,ccache,gnupg unstable
> > /srv/chroot/unstable-amd64-sbuild http://deb.debian.org/debian
> > open3: exec of schroot -l --all-source-chroots failed: No such file or
> > directory at /usr/sbin/sbuild-createchroot line 217.
> >
> > It seems "schroot" chommand is called, and it is nowhere to be found.
>
> "schroot" is a Debian package and you can install it easily.
>
> > How could I create the chroot env?
>
> There are other ways (debootstrap for example) but if you want to use
> "sbuild" then "schroot" is the preferred way I think.
>
> Kind regards
> Georgi

Re: [sbuild] how to create chroot environment

Alexei Fedotov
I've installed schroot from http://deb.debian.org/debian and it
worked. Thanks again for your help.
--

On Mon, Apr 15, 2019 at 2:30 PM Alexei Fedotov <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Georgi, thanks!
> it seems schroot package is somehow missed in my repository, I will
> look into it.
>
> --
> Carry a towel
> http://dataved.ru/
> +7 916 562 8095
>
> [1] Join Alexei Fedotov @linkedin, http://ru.linkedin.com/in/dataved/
> [2] Join Alexei Fedotov @facebook, http://www.facebook.com/openmeetings
> [3] Start using Apache Openmeetings today, http://openmeetings.apache.org/
>
> On Mon, Apr 15, 2019 at 2:23 PM Georgi Naplatanov <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > On 4/15/19 2:02 PM, Alexei Fedotov wrote:
> > > Hello,
> > > I've installed sbuild ver 0.73.0-4 and tried creating chroot environment
> > >
> > > I used the following command and get an error.
> > >
> > > devops@devops:~/git/docker.io$ sudo sbuild-createchroot
> > > --include=eatmydata,ccache,gnupg unstable
> > > /srv/chroot/unstable-amd64-sbuild http://deb.debian.org/debian
> > > open3: exec of schroot -l --all-source-chroots failed: No such file or
> > > directory at /usr/sbin/sbuild-createchroot line 217.
> > >
> > > It seems "schroot" chommand is called, and it is nowhere to be found.
> >
> > "schroot" is a Debian package and you can install it easily.
> >
> > > How could I create the chroot env?
> >
> > There are other ways (debootstrap for example) but if you want to use
> > "sbuild" then "schroot" is the preferred way I think.
> >
> > Kind regards
> > Georgi

Re: [sbuild] how to create chroot environment

Jonathan Dowland
On Mon, Apr 15, 2019 at 02:30:33PM +0300, Alexei Fedotov wrote:
>it seems schroot package is somehow missed in my repository, I will
>look into it.

schroot is merely recommended by sbuild, and not depended upon by it:
presumably sbuild can be used in some other way without schroot. When
you installed sbuild your package manager must have been configured
not to install Recommends; the default behaviour (for apt, at least)
is to install Recommends.

Jonathan Dowland

Re: [sbuild] how to create chroot environment

tomas@tuxteam.de
On Mon, Apr 15, 2019 at 03:26:04PM +0100, Jonathan Dowland wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 15, 2019 at 02:30:33PM +0300, Alexei Fedotov wrote:
> >it seems schroot package is somehow missed in my repository, I will
> >look into it.
>
> schroot is merely recommended by sbuild, and not depended upon by it:
> presumably sbuild can be used in some other way without schroot. When
> you installed sbuild your package manager must have been configured
> not to install Recommends; the default behaviour (for apt, at least)
> is to install Recommends.

Yes, sbuild defaults to schroot, but can use other methods. From
sbuild's man page:

  --chroot-mode=schroot|sudo|autopkgtest
    Select the desired chroot mode. Four values are possible:
    schroot (the default), sudo (which uses sudo to execute
    chroot in a directory from  /etc/sbuild/chroot or ./chroot)
    and autopkgtest which uses the autopkgtest-virt-* binaries
    (selectable via the --autopkgtest-virt-server option).
    This command line option sets the CHROOT_MODE configuration
    variable. See sbuild.conf(5) for more information.

So at first sight it seems that sbuild doesn't check whether schroot
is available, and if not, it runs aground by trying to use it, as
it is its default.

OP has installed schroot already, which is generally a Good Thing
anyway -- but whenever there are reasons not to use it, perhaps
the command-line option "--chroot-mode=sudo" (or its equivalent
config item) might be of help.

Cheers
-- tomás

Re: [sbuild] how to create chroot environment

Markus Schönhaber
Tomas, 15.4.2019 16:38 +0200:

>   --chroot-mode=schroot|sudo|autopkgtest
>     Select the desired chroot mode. Four values are possible:
>     schroot [...], sudo [...] and autopkgtest [...]

Out of curiosity: am I missing something or are there only three of the
"Four values" which "are possible" documented? What might be the fourth?

--
Regards
  mks

On Mon, Apr 15, 2019 at 05:05:53PM +0200, Markus Schönhaber wrote:
> Tomas, 15.4.2019 16:38 +0200:
>
> >   --chroot-mode=schroot|sudo|autopkgtest
> >     Select the desired chroot mode. Four values are possible:
> >     schroot [...], sudo [...] and autopkgtest [...]
>
> Out of curiosity: am I missing something or are there only three of the
> "Four values" which "are possible" documented? What might be the fourth?

Yes, this looks like an error. I'd venture that there are just three
values.

Cheers
-- t