section in the gnome/freedesktop menu

Hamish Moffatt
Tonight I was updating the gpredict package and lintian informed me that
my .desktop file section "Applications;Hamradio" was no longer valid.

The current desktop file specification at
http://standards.freedesktop.org/menu-spec/1.0/apa.html

defines very few top level application types: audio, video, (software)
development, education, game, graphics, network, office, settings,
system and utility.

Then there is a set of additional categories and suggested related
categories. HamRadio is in the additional categories, being related to
the high-level network and audio categories. Clearly gpredict doesn't
fit with either of those.

(Digression; math and science suggest Education as their major category
which is wrong given that those do have applications in industry too eg
in engineering.)

I put gpredict in Education;HamRadio for lack of a better choice. I
don't know if Debian (or rather GNOME) is using the additional
categories at all but I suspect that ham radio applications will be
scattered throughout the menu due to their differing major categories.
Applications like gmfsk probably do belong in network or audio - but
which?

Hamish
--
Hamish Moffatt VK3SB <[hidden email]> <[hidden email]>

Re: section in the gnome/freedesktop menu

Nate Bargmann
* Hamish Moffatt <[hidden email]> [2007 Sep 13 04:25 -0500]:

> I put gpredict in Education;HamRadio for lack of a better choice. I
> don't know if Debian (or rather GNOME) is using the additional
> categories at all but I suspect that ham radio applications will be
> scattered throughout the menu due to their differing major categories.
> Applications like gmfsk probably do belong in network or audio - but
> which?

Ahhhh, so the GNOME-ites are at it again, dictating policy.  ;-)

I have found it necessary to create my own Ham Radio category in my main
menu on my KDE installations to gather everything in one place.  I had
a ham radio menu package installed at one time. but it never showed up
in KDE.  In the Debian menu under Applications is Amateur Radio which
is generally populated correctly.

I can understand the need for a coherent menu system and that's not my
gripe.  Specialized areas like Ham Radio should be able to exist
seperately, though.

73, de Nate >>

--
 Wireless | Amateur Radio Station N0NB          |  Successfully Microsoft
  Amateur radio exams; ham radio; Linux info @  | free since January 1998.

Re: section in the gnome/freedesktop menu

Nate Duehr

On Sep 13, 2007, at 4:30 AM, Nate Bargmann wrote:

> I can understand the need for a coherent menu system and that's not my
> gripe.  Specialized areas like Ham Radio should be able to exist
> seperately, though.

It's the "hamradiomenus" package that you're referring to, I believe.

That package should work correctly, or have bugs filed against it.
KDE, Gnome, whatever... doesn't matter.

--
Nate Duehr, WY0X