setting up mirrored server

Jon Miller-5
I'm in the process of setting up a server with 2 disks that I want to mirror.  I'm using a Promise Fasttrack S150 Tx2 plus SATA card.  I've gotten the system to boot stating it has the 1 logical volume, however, when I use the Sarge DVD to do the install it reports the 2 physical drives instead of the single volume.  Is this correct or have I not done something right. Based on info I've found on google, it seems that I have to partition one drive and mimic the partition on the second drive.  Is this correct?

Thanks

Jon L. Miller,  ASE, CNS, CLS, MCNE, CCNA
Director/Sr Systems Consultant
MMT Networks Pty Ltd
http://www.mmtnetworks.com.au
Resellers for: Novell Gold Partner, Cisco Partner, Peopletelecom, Westnet, Sophos Anti-Virus, CA Products

"I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure
 is trying to please everybody." -Bill Cosby

TEXT.htm (1K) Download Attachment

Re: setting up mirrored server

Andrew Cady-2
On Thu, Mar 23, 2006 at 05:20:47AM +0800, Jon  Miller wrote:
> I'm in the process of setting up a server with 2 disks that I want
> to mirror.  I'm using a Promise Fasttrack S150 Tx2 plus SATA card.
> I've gotten the system to boot stating it has the 1 logical volume,
> however, when I use the Sarge DVD to do the install it reports the 2
> physical drives instead of the single volume.  Is this correct or have
> I not done something right. Based on info I've found on google, it
> seems that I have to partition one drive and mimic the partition on
> the second drive.  Is this correct?

No.  Create a software raid array (in the sarge installer), and install
sarge onto that.  Your Promise Fasttrack card is not a raid controller;
it merely contains software raid drivers for DOS/windows on its ROM.