should service-discovery-applet be included in desktop task/gnome?

should service-discovery-applet be included in desktop task/gnome?

Joey Hess
(Please CC me.)

AFAICS, nothing pulls in service-discovery-applet during an installation
of the desktop task or gnome metapackages. Are there plans to make it
part of the standard gnome install, or should I look at adding it into
the desktop task?

One thing to consider is that it currently depends on avahi-daemon,
which we may want to avoid pulling in (cue the recent issues with
rhythmbox).

See also: http://wiki.debian.org/ZeroConf

--
see shy jo

Re: should service-discovery-applet be included in desktop task/gnome?

Sebastian Dröge-2
Am Dienstag, den 28.03.2006, 15:28 -0500 schrieb Joey Hess:
> (Please CC me.)
>
> AFAICS, nothing pulls in service-discovery-applet during an
installation
> of the desktop task or gnome metapackages. Are there plans to make it
> part of the standard gnome install, or should I look at adding it into
> the desktop task?

That's not planned yet but I think with 0.4 (which I'll get uploaded
soon) it would be ready.

> One thing to consider is that it currently depends on avahi-daemon,
> which we may want to avoid pulling in (cue the recent issues with
> rhythmbox).

I decided to Depend on avahi-daemon as the applet is completely useless
without it. In a perfect world it would be a Recommends but until
everything (i.e. synaptic, apt-get, etc) installes Recommends per
default I want to keep it as a Depends to prevent unnecessary
bugreports :)

> See also: http://wiki.debian.org/ZeroConf

Thanks for that wiki page, I didn't know it yet. Btw, you could add
gnome-user-share in the list.

Bye

PS: sorry Joey when you get this mail twice... I used a mail address
that the Debian lists don't like for the first try ;)

Re: should service-discovery-applet be included in desktop task/gnome?

Ross Burton
On Tue, 2006-03-28 at 15:28 -0500, Joey Hess wrote:
> AFAICS, nothing pulls in service-discovery-applet during an installation
> of the desktop task or gnome metapackages. Are there plans to make it
> part of the standard gnome install, or should I look at adding it into
> the desktop task?
>
> One thing to consider is that it currently depends on avahi-daemon,
> which we may want to avoid pulling in (cue the recent issues with
> rhythmbox).

Is there any point in installing it by default in the desktop task, if
avahi-daemon isn't installed thus rendering it useless?

Ross
--
Ross Burton                                 mail: [hidden email]
                                          jabber: [hidden email]