sid - PowerBook G4 1.5 Al (radeon) - No Backlight on fourth boot - pbbuttonsd/hdparm

sid - PowerBook G4 1.5 Al (radeon) - No Backlight on fourth boot - pbbuttonsd/hdparm

Fadi Osman
PowerBook G4 1.5 Al (radeon) + sid (using instructions listed on: http://wiki.powerprogress.org/DebianPowerPcStartersManual#Installation_of_Debian_powerpc )

Hello,

After a week or so of installations and re-installations and many nomodeset and attempts to blacklist modules and trying to setup Xorg...

I realized I was getting a Dark Screen ( no LCD Backlight)  during Xorg startup - on exactly the fourth boot after completing installation!

( I originally thought it was the infamous "black screen of death" which occurs on nvidia/nouveau Macs - but the login window was still there in the dark - the machine was not freezed)

I also noticed that the "fn" button on the PowerBook started behaving different starting the third boot - you needed to use it in order to activate the Function buttons F1...F6...etc...
It was not the case for the first and second boot.

So something indicated an issue with pbbuttonsd - which is installed by default.

So I started up in nomodeset - and using the Console, uninstalled pbbuttonsd and hdparm, and now have my Backlight back again!

I have kept the contents of /var/log for each of my boot attempt - but not the fourth unfortunately. A first attempt to compare them was not very helpful.

I might try to reinstall pbbuttonsd and prepare a script to copy the /var/log with the backlight off.

Thanks all for keeping Debian powerpc alive!
Fadi.

Re: sid - PowerBook G4 1.5 Al (radeon) - No Backlight on fourth boot - pbbuttonsd/hdparm

John Paul Adrian Glaubitz
On Sun, May 21, 2017 at 07:12:00AM +0000, Fadi Osman wrote:
> So I started up in nomodeset - and using the Console, uninstalled
> pbbuttonsd and hdparm, and now have my Backlight back again!

Thanks for investigating this and thanks for this information.

Might be a good idea to put it up in the wiki here:

> https://wiki.debian.org/PowerPC/FAQ

> I have kept the contents of /var/log for each of my boot attempt -
> but not the fourth unfortunately. A first attempt to compare them was
> not very helpful.
>
> I might try to reinstall pbbuttonsd and prepare a script to copy the
> /var/log with the backlight off.

Yes, please. Once you have gained enough information, please file a
bug report against the pbuttonsd package so the maintainer is
notified, although I haven't checked whether the package is still
maintained.

Adrian

--
 .''`.  John Paul Adrian Glaubitz

Re: sid - PowerBook G4 1.5 Al (radeon) - No Backlight on fourth boot - pbbuttonsd/hdparm

Mathieu Malaterre-4
Hi,

On Mon, May 22, 2017 at 11:08 AM, John Paul Adrian Glaubitz
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Sun, May 21, 2017 at 07:12:00AM +0000, Fadi Osman wrote:
>> So I started up in nomodeset - and using the Console, uninstalled
>> pbbuttonsd and hdparm, and now have my Backlight back again!
>
> Thanks for investigating this and thanks for this information.
>
> Might be a good idea to put it up in the wiki here:
>
>> https://wiki.debian.org/PowerPC/FAQ
>
>> I have kept the contents of /var/log for each of my boot attempt -
>> but not the fourth unfortunately. A first attempt to compare them was
>> not very helpful.
>>
>> I might try to reinstall pbbuttonsd and prepare a script to copy the
>> /var/log with the backlight off.
>
> Yes, please. Once you have gained enough information, please file a
> bug report against the pbuttonsd package so the maintainer is
> notified, although I haven't checked whether the package is still
> maintained.

Dead upstream, but I am ok to integrate users patch if needed.

-M