smtp with ssl auth

Imre Vida-2
Hi,

our smtp server requiers ssl authentication
(user+passwd over port 465)
It refuses to use SASL, and doesn't work with TSL either
although the latter is often refered to as TSL/SSL -
spent quit some time trying to setup postfix properly, and
tried some others (exim, esmtp, msmtp) as well.

Win applications such as Eudora & co. seem to work well
when username+passwd and "SSL Authentication" is specified.

Could anybody tell me what exactly is happening on the server
side?  What is exactly the protocol that i would need to
setup?

Thanks

imre

Re: smtp with ssl auth

Magnus Therning
On Tue, May 23, 2006 at 12:29:58AM +0200, Imre Vida wrote:

>Hi,
>
>our smtp server requiers ssl authentication (user+passwd over port 465)
>It refuses to use SASL, and doesn't work with TSL either although the
>latter is often refered to as TSL/SSL - spent quit some time trying to
>setup postfix properly, and tried some others (exim, esmtp, msmtp) as
>well.
>
>Win applications such as Eudora & co. seem to work well when
>username+passwd and "SSL Authentication" is specified.
>
>Could anybody tell me what exactly is happening on the server side?
>What is exactly the protocol that i would need to setup?
Can you tell more what you've tried when configuring postfix?

/M

--
Magnus Therning                             (OpenPGP: 0xAB4DFBA4)
[hidden email]             Jabber: [hidden email]

by patent law on written works.

.

Re: smtp with ssl auth

anoop aryal
On Monday 22 May 2006 17:29, Imre Vida wrote:

> Hi,
>
> our smtp server requiers ssl authentication
> (user+passwd over port 465)
> It refuses to use SASL, and doesn't work with TSL either
> although the latter is often refered to as TSL/SSL -
> spent quit some time trying to setup postfix properly, and
> tried some others (exim, esmtp, msmtp) as well.
>
> Win applications such as Eudora & co. seem to work well
> when username+passwd and "SSL Authentication" is specified.
>
> Could anybody tell me what exactly is happening on the server
> side?  What is exactly the protocol that i would need to
> setup?

out of the box, postfix seems to want to run chrooted (which is great). but
saslauthd doesn't know to create the mux file where postfix can find it.

edit /etc/default/saslauthd and change the PWDIR line to:
PWDIR=/var/spool/postfix/var/run/saslauthd

and PARAMS to have a value of
"-m $PWDIR"  (with the quotes)

restart saslauthd and postfix should be able to sasl just fine. make sure a
file called 'mux' is at /var/spool/postfix/var/run/saslauthd/

if it still doesn't work, turn on some debugging on postfix and see why it's
complaining.

--

anoop aryal