sound card ordering

Keith Barrett-2
Hello,

Debian bullseye upgraded from buster amd64.
Pulseaudio removed and purged.

There are two sound cards in the system but only one was detected when I
installed buster.

When the system starts, the card ordering is not reliable so on
occasions the non working asus card is card 0 hence producing no speech
output.

I think it may be down to the order of module loading as creating
/;etc/asound.conf does not appear to work.

Is this known and how can I force the onboard card to be always card 0?
Thanks

Keith

Re: sound card ordering

Samuel Thibault-8
Hello,

Keith Barrett, le sam. 17 août 2019 13:41:14 +0100, a ecrit:
> There are two sound cards in the system but only one was detected when I
> installed buster.
>
> When the system starts, the card ordering is not reliable so on occasions
> the non working asus card is card 0 hence producing no speech output.

I'm surprised: what ALSA_CARD do you have in /etc/default/espeakup?

> Is this known and how can I force the onboard card to be always card 0?

Normally the installer uses named identifiers instead of numbered
identifiers: in /proc/asounc/cards you can find e.g.

 0 [PCH            ]: HDA-Intel - HDA Intel PCH
                      HDA Intel PCH at 0xdc428000 irq 143

You would have "PCH" in /etc/default/espeakup's ALSA_CARD instead of 0,
to thus have a more reliable specifier.

Samuel

Re: sound card ordering

Keith Barrett

On 18/08/2019 18:12, Samuel Thibault wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Keith Barrett, le sam. 17 août 2019 13:41:14 +0100, a ecrit:
>> There are two sound cards in the system but only one was detected when I
>> installed buster.
>>
>> When the system starts, the card ordering is not reliable so on occasions
>> the non working asus card is card 0 hence producing no speech output.
>
> I'm surprised: what ALSA_CARD do you have in /etc/default/espeakup?

Interesting, I have not modified /etc/default/espeakup but it does not
seem to specify a card:

ALSA_CARD=""

>> Is this known and how can I force the onboard card to be always card 0?
>
> Normally the installer uses named identifiers instead of numbered
> identifiers: in /proc/asounc/cards you can find e.g.
Here is /proc/asound/cards

  0 [MID            ]: HDA-Intel - HDA Intel MID
                       HDA Intel MID at 0xfbff8000 irq 31
  1 [DGX            ]: CMI8786 - Xonar DGX
                       C-Media Oxygen HD Audio at 0xce00, irq 19
I am not sure that this order is retained when it boots in the
non-working state.

>   0 [PCH            ]: HDA-Intel - HDA Intel PCH
>                        HDA Intel PCH at 0xdc428000 irq 143
>
> You would have "PCH" in /etc/default/espeakup's ALSA_CARD instead of 0,
> to thus have a more reliable specifier.
>
> Samuel

Re: sound card ordering

Samuel Thibault-8
Keith Barrett, le dim. 18 août 2019 20:30:50 +0100, a ecrit:

> On 18/08/2019 18:12, Samuel Thibault wrote:
> > Keith Barrett, le sam. 17 août 2019 13:41:14 +0100, a ecrit:
> > > There are two sound cards in the system but only one was detected when I
> > > installed buster.
> > >
> > > When the system starts, the card ordering is not reliable so on occasions
> > > the non working asus card is card 0 hence producing no speech output.
> >
> > I'm surprised: what ALSA_CARD do you have in /etc/default/espeakup?
>
> Interesting, I have not modified /etc/default/espeakup but it does not seem
> to specify a card:
>
> ALSA_CARD=""

Oh? were you installing with speakup enabled during installation?

> > > Is this known and how can I force the onboard card to be always card 0?
> >
> > Normally the installer uses named identifiers instead of numbered
> > identifiers: in /proc/asounc/cards you can find e.g.
> Here is /proc/asound/cards
>
>  0 [MID            ]: HDA-Intel - HDA Intel MID
>                       HDA Intel MID at 0xfbff8000 irq 31
>  1 [DGX            ]: CMI8786 - Xonar DGX
>                       C-Media Oxygen HD Audio at 0xce00, irq 19
> I am not sure that this order is retained when it boots in the non-working
> state.

That's where specifying either MID or DGX instead of 0/1 allows to avoid
relying on the ordering.

Samuel

Re: sound card ordering

Keith Barrett

On 18/08/2019 21:08, Samuel Thibault wrote:

> Keith Barrett, le dim. 18 août 2019 20:30:50 +0100, a ecrit:

>>> I'm surprised: what ALSA_CARD do you have in /etc/default/espeakup?
>>
>> Interesting, I have not modified /etc/default/espeakup but it does not seem
>> to specify a card:
>>
>> ALSA_CARD=""
>
> Oh? were you installing with speakup enabled during installation?

Yes I was so I am not sure why a default card was not written to
/etc/default/espeakup unless it was because the installer only detected
one of the cards?

>>> Normally the installer uses named identifiers instead of numbered
>>> identifiers: in /proc/asounc/cards you can find e.g.
>> Here is /proc/asound/cards
>>
>>   0 [MID            ]: HDA-Intel - HDA Intel MID
>>                        HDA Intel MID at 0xfbff8000 irq 31
>>   1 [DGX            ]: CMI8786 - Xonar DGX
>>                        C-Media Oxygen HD Audio at 0xce00, irq 19
>> I am not sure that this order is retained when it boots in the non-working
>> state.
>
> That's where specifying either MID or DGX instead of 0/1 allows to avoid
> relying on the ordering.
OK, thank you, so do I just need to specify in /etc/default/espeakup or
should it be somewhere else?

> Samuel

Re: sound card ordering

john doe-6
On 8/19/2019 4:55 PM, Keith Barrett wrote:

> On 18/08/2019 21:08, Samuel Thibault wrote:
>> Keith Barrett, le dim. 18 août 2019 20:30:50 +0100, a ecrit:

>>> Interesting, I have not modified /etc/default/espeakup but it does
>>> not seem
>>> to specify a card:
>>>
>>> ALSA_CARD=""
>>
>> Oh? were you installing with speakup enabled during installation?
>
> Yes I was so I am not sure why a default card was not written to
> /etc/default/espeakup unless it was because the installer only detected
> one of the cards?

>>> Here is /proc/asound/cards
>>>
>>>   0 [MID            ]: HDA-Intel - HDA Intel MID
>>>                        HDA Intel MID at 0xfbff8000 irq 31
>>>   1 [DGX            ]: CMI8786 - Xonar DGX
>>>                        C-Media Oxygen HD Audio at 0xce00, irq 19
>>> I am not sure that this order is retained when it boots in the
>>> non-working
>>> state.
>>
>> That's where specifying either MID or DGX instead of 0/1 allows to avoid
>> relying on the ordering.
> OK, thank you, so do I just need to specify in /etc/default/espeakup or
> should it be somewhere else?

The file '/etc/default/espeakup' is a safe bet.

John Doe

Re: sound card ordering

Samuel Thibault-8

Keith Barrett, le lun. 19 août 2019 15:55:01 +0100, a ecrit:

> On 18/08/2019 21:08, Samuel Thibault wrote:
> > Keith Barrett, le dim. 18 août 2019 20:30:50 +0100, a ecrit:
> > > Interesting, I have not modified /etc/default/espeakup but it does not seem
> > > to specify a card:
> > >
> > > ALSA_CARD=""
> >
> > Oh? were you installing with speakup enabled during installation?
>
> Yes I was

Uh, that's odd then. Was the VOICE variable also not set?

> unless it was because the installer only detected one of the cards?

No, in my tests even in that case it would write the ID.

> > That's where specifying either MID or DGX instead of 0/1 allows to avoid
> > relying on the ordering.
> OK, thank you, so do I just need to specify in /etc/default/espeakup

Yes, that's it!

Samuel

Re: sound card ordering

Keith Barrett

On 20/08/2019 21:47, Samuel Thibault wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Keith Barrett, le lun. 19 août 2019 15:55:01 +0100, a ecrit:

>>> Oh? were you installing with speakup enabled during installation?
>>
>> Yes I was
>
> Uh, that's odd then. Was the VOICE variable also not set?
Yes,
VOICE=en

>> unless it was because the installer only detected one of the cards?
>
> No, in my tests even in that case it would write the ID.
>
>>> That's where specifying either MID or DGX instead of 0/1 allows to avoid
>>> relying on the ordering.
>> OK, thank you, so do I just need to specify in /etc/default/espeakup
>
> Yes, that's it!
Sorry for the noise but I have probably been going about this in the
wrong way.
So I have now specified MID in /etc/default/espeakup and that does cause
espeakup to start with speech each time the system boots.
However, the card ordering is still very random which means that
although espeakup is always working, if the cards load so that MID is
not 0, I get no other system sounds and orca does not work in the gui.

So, I suppose what I should be trying to achieve is to cause the sound
cards to retain their correct numbering so that all sound works
following a reboot.

> Samuel

Re: sound card ordering

Samuel Thibault-8
Hello,

Keith Barrett, le mar. 20 août 2019 22:23:12 +0100, a ecrit:

> On 20/08/2019 21:47, Samuel Thibault wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > Keith Barrett, le lun. 19 août 2019 15:55:01 +0100, a ecrit:

> > > Yes I was
> >
> > Uh, that's odd then. Was the VOICE variable also not set?
> Yes,
> VOICE=en

I'm very surprised then.

> So I have now specified MID in /etc/default/espeakup and that does cause
> espeakup to start with speech each time the system boots.

Ok, good :)

> if the cards load so that MID is not 0, [...] orca does not work in
> the gui.

You can probably set the card name to be used in
/etc/speech-dispatcher/speechd.conf.

Samuel

Re: sound card ordering

Didier Spaier

Just to be sure, please attach /etc/modprobe.d/soundcards.conf to your next post

And type as root:
chmod 644 /etc/modprobe.d/soundcards.conf
although it has probably these permissions already.

Best,

Didier

On 22/08/2019 23:05, Keith Barrett wrote:

> On 21/08/2019 19:10, Didier Spaier wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> replying in line (this also answers your more recent private email):
>>
>> On 20/08/2019 23:23, Keith Barrett wrote:
>>> So I have now specified MID in /etc/default/espeakup and that does cause espeakup to start with speech each time the system boots.
>>> However, the card ordering is still very random which means that although espeakup is always working, if the cards load so that MID is not 0, I get no other system sounds and orca does not work in the gui.
>>>
>>> So, I suppose what I should be trying to achieve is to cause the sound cards to retain their correct numbering so that all sound works following a reboot.
>>
>> To do this, type:
>> cat /proc/asound/modules
> 0 snd_oxygen
> 1 snd_hda_intel
>

>> You will probably get two lines in the output (one for each card), with
>> the card number on the left an the associated kernel module name on the
>> right of each line.
>>
>> Just create a file as root a file /etc/modprobe.d/soundcards.conf with
>> two lines:
>
>> options <first module name> index=0
>> options <second module name> index=1
>>
>> replacing <first module name> by the name of the module for the card you
>> want to be loaded first and <second module name> by the other card's
>> module name, both spelled exactly as in the output of:
>> cat /proc/asound/modules.
>>
>> This way, the cards' order will stay the same across reboots.
> Unfortunately, this has not worked, I have created /etc/modprobe.d/soundcards.conf but there has been no change.
>
> The only thing I can think of it whether I may need to change the permissions of soundcards.conf?
> Thank you for your help, it is appreciated.
>

>> Best,
>>
>> Didier
>>
>> PS the name of the file in /etc/modprobe.d doesn't matter, but it
>> has to end in .conf

Re: sound card ordering

Keith Barrett

On 23/08/2019 00:08, Didier Spaier wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Just to be sure, please attach /etc/modprobe.d/soundcards.conf to your

OK, here it is:

options <intel_hda> index=0
options <snd_oxygen> index=1

> And type as root:
> chmod 644 /etc/modprobe.d/soundcards.conf
> although it has probably these permissions already.tried that but no change.

One more thought, can there be more than one .conf file in
/etc/modprobe.d as I have one called local.conf as well which loads the
speakup_soft module?

> Best,
>
> Didier
>
> On 22/08/2019 23:05, Keith Barrett wrote:
>>

>> On 21/08/2019 19:10, Didier Spaier wrote:
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> replying in line (this also answers your more recent private email):

>>> To do this, type:
>>> cat /proc/asound/modules
>> 0 snd_oxygen
>> 1 snd_hda_intel
>>

>>> You will probably get two lines in the output (one for each card), with
>>> the card number on the left an the associated kernel module name on the
>>> right of each line.
>>>
>>> Just create a file as root a file /etc/modprobe.d/soundcards.conf with
>>> two lines:
>>
>>> options <first module name> index=0
>>> options <second module name> index=1
>>>
>>> replacing <first module name> by the name of the module for the card you
>>> want to be loaded first and <second module name> by the other card's
>>> module name, both spelled exactly as in the output of:
>>> cat /proc/asound/modules.
>>>
>>> This way, the cards' order will stay the same across reboots.
>> Unfortunately, this has not worked, I have created
>> /etc/modprobe.d/soundcards.conf but there has been no change.
>>
>> The only thing I can think of it whether I may need to change the
>> permissions of soundcards.conf?
>> Thank you for your help, it is appreciated.
>>

>>> Best,
>>>
>>> Didier
>>>
>>> PS the name of the file in /etc/modprobe.d doesn't matter, but it
>>> has to end in .conf

Re: sound card ordering

Didier Spaier
Helo,

On 23/08/2019 17:35, Keith Barrett wrote:

> On 23/08/2019 00:08, Didier Spaier wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> Just to be sure, please attach /etc/modprobe.d/soundcards.conf to your next post
>
> OK, here it is:
>
> options <intel_hda> index=0
> options <snd_oxygen> index=1

It should be:

options snd_hda_intel index=0
options snd_oxygen index=1

Best regards,

Didier

>> And type as root:
>> chmod 644 /etc/modprobe.d/soundcards.conf
>> although it has probably these permissions already.tried that but no change.
>
> One more thought, can there be more than one .conf file in /etc/modprobe.d as I have one called local.conf as well which loads the speakup_soft module?
>

>> Best,
>>
>> Didier

>>> 0 snd_oxygen
>>> 1 snd_hda_intel

>>> Unfortunately, this has not worked, I have created /etc/modprobe.d/soundcards.conf but there has been no change.
>>>
>>> The only thing I can think of it whether I may need to change the permissions of soundcards.conf?
>>> Thank you for your help, it is appreciated.

Re: sound card ordering

Keith Barrett

On 23/08/2019 17:13, Didier Spaier wrote:

> Helo,
>
> On 23/08/2019 17:35, Keith Barrett wrote:
>>

>> On 23/08/2019 00:08, Didier Spaier wrote:
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> Just to be sure, please attach /etc/modprobe.d/soundcards.conf to
>>> your next post
>>
>> OK, here it is:
>>
>> options <intel_hda> index=0
>> options <snd_oxygen> index=1
>
> It should be:
>
> options snd_hda_intel index=0
> options snd_oxygen index=1

Thank you, I have made the change but still the order is random.

Should I add the lines to /etc/modprobe.d/local.conf which already exists?

Only other thing I can think of is whether the /etc/modprobe.d directory
is being overridden by some files in another place.

I do appreciate your taking the trouble to help with this, thank you again!

> Best regards,
>
> Didier
>
>>> And type as root:
>>> chmod 644 /etc/modprobe.d/soundcards.conf
>>> although it has probably these permissions already.tried that but no
>>> change.
>>
>> One more thought, can there be more than one .conf file in
>> /etc/modprobe.d as I have one called local.conf as well which loads
>> the speakup_soft module?
>>

>>> Best,
>>>
>>> Didier

Re: sound card ordering

Keith Barrett

On 23/08/2019 17:45, Keith Barrett wrote:

> On 23/08/2019 17:13, Didier Spaier wrote:
>> Helo,

>>> OK, here it is:
>>>
>>> options <intel_hda> index=0
>>> options <snd_oxygen> index=1
>>
>> It should be:
>>
>> options snd_hda_intel index=0
>> options snd_oxygen index=1
>
> Thank you, I have made the change but still the order is random.
>
> Should I add the lines to /etc/modprobe.d/local.conf which already exists?

I know I might be going off track here but, it seems that the file
/etc/modprobe.d/local.conf is not doing anything either.
That file contains the line
options speakup synth=soft
and was created by the debian installer.

However, commenting the line out, and speakup still starts so the soft
synth module must be being loaded from somewhere else.

I now have the second sound card working so by plugging the speakers in
to the other card, I can still get speech but it would be nice to have
this working properly.

> Only other thing I can think of is whether the /etc/modprobe.d directory
> is being overridden by some files in another place.
>
> I do appreciate your taking the trouble to help with this, thank you again!
>

>> Best regards,
>>
>> Didier

>>> One more thought, can there be more than one .conf file in
>>> /etc/modprobe.d as I have one called local.conf as well which loads
>>> the speakup_soft module?

Re: sound card ordering

Samuel Thibault-8
Keith Barrett, le ven. 23 août 2019 18:09:46 +0100, a ecrit:
> I know I might be going off track here but, it seems that the file
> /etc/modprobe.d/local.conf is not doing anything either.
> That file contains the line
> options speakup synth=soft
> and was created by the debian installer.

I don't rember anything doing that.

> However, commenting the line out, and speakup still starts so the soft synth
> module must be being loaded from somewhere else.

When espeakup starts it loads the soft synth module.

Samuel