sporadic successfull mount of nfs with Stretch

sporadic successfull mount of nfs with Stretch

Stefan Krueger
Hello,

we've some problems with Debian stretch which try to mount nfs4 shares at boot-time, sometimes it works and sometimes not. If its not mounting during start I can mount it after I login without problems.

A successfull (re)boot look like [1] and a (re)boot which doesn't mount the shares look like [2].

For me it looks like that it comes to a race condition and it try to mount it without a working networkstack. the /etc/fstab looks like:
srv-storage:/scratch              /scratch        nfs     defaults        0 2
srv-storage:/home         /data/home      nfs     defaults        0 2

I also try to use _netdev as mountoptions, but it didn't work.
Has anyone an idea how to solve this?

best regards
Stefan

[1] https://debianforum.de/forum/pastebin/?mode=view&s=40729
[2] https://debianforum.de/forum/pastebin/?mode=view&s=40728

Re: sporadic successfull mount of nfs with Stretch

Keith Bainbridge-3
On 23/5/19 12:36 am, Stefan K wrote:

> Hello,
>
> we've some problems with Debian stretch which try to mount nfs4 shares at boot-time, sometimes it works and sometimes not. If its not mounting during start I can mount it after I login without problems.
>
> A successfull (re)boot look like [1] and a (re)boot which doesn't mount the shares look like [2].
>
> For me it looks like that it comes to a race condition and it try to mount it without a working networkstack. the /etc/fstab looks like:
> srv-storage:/scratch              /scratch        nfs     defaults        0 2
> srv-storage:/home         /data/home      nfs     defaults        0 2
>
> I also try to use _netdev as mountoptions, but it didn't work.
> Has anyone an idea how to solve this?
>
> best regards
> Stefan
>
> [1] https://debianforum.de/forum/pastebin/?mode=view&s=40729
> [2] https://debianforum.de/forum/pastebin/?mode=view&s=40728

Stefan

Wonder what would happen if you used the IP address instead of the
srv-storage?

--
Keith Bainbridge

[hidden email]
+61 (0)447 667 468

Re: sporadic successfull mount of nfs with Stretch

deloptes-2
Stefan K wrote:

> I also try to use _netdev as mountoptions, but it didn't work.
> Has anyone an idea how to solve this?

I use defaults,retry=5,_netdev - never had an issue with this. I must admin
I still use init and not systemd. But when testing with systemd I do not
recall having problem. I think I switched back to init after the mounts
were setup. If using systemd, check your dependencies.

regards

Re: sporadic successfull mount of nfs with Stretch

Nicholas Geovanis-2
Following on Keith's suggestion: If replacing the hostname with the IP address doesn't help, look at the error rates on the network interfaces. Especially look for speed mismatches in the Ethernet config at the 2 ends.

+61 (0)447 667 468

Re: sporadic successfull mount of nfs with Stretch

Stefan Krueger
I solved this issue by installing the latest backport kernel

On 28/5/19 8:05 pm, Stefan K wrote:
> I solved this issue by installing the latest backport kernel

Stefan

Well done

--
Keith Bainbridge

[hidden email]
+61 (0)447 667 468

On Tue, May 28, 2019, 5:06 AM Stefan K <[hidden email]> wrote:
I solved this issue by installing the latest backport kernel

So my question would be, did logs indicate that Ethernet autonegotiation failed with the new-old-bad drivers, but succeed with the backport level?