sshfs failure

Gene Heskett-4
Greetings all;

I just went to restore my sshfs shares so I could move a file I had
written, but if fails to connect. This was working, and working well as
recently as a week ago. Neither machine has been rebooted but several
updates have been done. This machine is running an up to date wheezy,
and the target machine, an r-pi3b, is running an up to date jessie

I am user 1000 on both this and that machine, but this commandline now
gets this response:

gene@coyote:~/linuxcnc/nc_files$ sshfs pi@picncsheldon:/ /sshnet/picnc
read: Connection reset by peer

It works just fine to the other 3 machines running wheezy in my home
network?

Any idea why the jessie machine is now failing?

Thanks people.

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)

Re: sshfs failure

Jens Thiele
Gene Heskett <[hidden email]> writes:

> Greetings all;
>
> I just went to restore my sshfs shares so I could move a file I had
> written, but if fails to connect. This was working, and working well as
> recently as a week ago. Neither machine has been rebooted but several
> updates have been done. This machine is running an up to date wheezy,
> and the target machine, an r-pi3b, is running an up to date jessie
>
> I am user 1000 on both this and that machine, but this commandline now
> gets this response:
>
> gene@coyote:~/linuxcnc/nc_files$ sshfs pi@picncsheldon:/ /sshnet/picnc
> read: Connection reset by peer
>
> It works just fine to the other 3 machines running wheezy in my home
> network?
>
> Any idea why the jessie machine is now failing?

try to ssh with -v to get more info:
gene@coyote:~$ ssh -v pi@picncsheldon

jens

Re: sshfs failure

Alan Corey
I think connection reset usually means something happened to the
connection like an elephant got in the way of your wifi.  Nothing
specific to ssh, I get it in Firefox a few times a day from marginal
signal levels.

--
-------------
No, I won't  call it "climate change", do you have a "reality problem"? - AB1JX
Impeach  Impeach  Impeach  Impeach  Impeach  Impeach  Impeach  Impeach

Re: sshfs failure

Gene Heskett-4
On Friday 11 August 2017 13:56:16 Jens Thiele wrote:

> Gene Heskett <[hidden email]> writes:
> > Greetings all;
> >
> > I just went to restore my sshfs shares so I could move a file I had
> > written, but if fails to connect. This was working, and working well
> > as recently as a week ago. Neither machine has been rebooted but
> > several updates have been done. This machine is running an up to
> > date wheezy, and the target machine, an r-pi3b, is running an up to
> > date jessie
> >
> > I am user 1000 on both this and that machine, but this commandline
> > now gets this response:
> >
> > gene@coyote:~/linuxcnc/nc_files$ sshfs pi@picncsheldon:/
> > /sshnet/picnc read: Connection reset by peer
> >
> > It works just fine to the other 3 machines running wheezy in my home
> > network?
> >
> > Any idea why the jessie machine is now failing?
>
> try to ssh with -v to get more info:
> gene@coyote:~$ ssh -v pi@picncsheldon
>
> jens

Maybe, but I have 2 copies of bash, terminal-4.8, and all those logins
are working flawlessly.

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)

Re: sshfs failure

Gene Heskett-4
On Friday 11 August 2017 14:35:40 Alan Corey wrote:

> I think connection reset usually means something happened to the
> connection like an elephant got in the way of your wifi.  Nothing
> specific to ssh, I get it in Firefox a few times a day from marginal
> signal levels.

Hard wired network, radios are all disabled.

> On 8/11/17, Jens Thiele <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Gene Heskett <[hidden email]> writes:
> >> Greetings all;
> >>
> >> I just went to restore my sshfs shares so I could move a file I had
> >> written, but if fails to connect. This was working, and working
> >> well as recently as a week ago. Neither machine has been rebooted
> >> but several updates have been done. This machine is running an up
> >> to date wheezy, and the target machine, an r-pi3b, is running an up
> >> to date jessie
> >>
> >> I am user 1000 on both this and that machine, but this commandline
> >> now gets this response:
> >>
> >> gene@coyote:~/linuxcnc/nc_files$ sshfs pi@picncsheldon:/
> >> /sshnet/picnc read: Connection reset by peer
> >>
> >> It works just fine to the other 3 machines running wheezy in my
> >> home network?
> >>
> >> Any idea why the jessie machine is now failing?
> >
> > try to ssh with -v to get more info:
> > gene@coyote:~$ ssh -v pi@picncsheldon
> >
> > jens

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)

Re: sshfs failure

Alan Corey
Is the basic connection working?  Can you ping, ftp, access a web
server, etc?  Is it just an ssh problem?

-------------

On Friday 11 August 2017 21:54:53 Alan Corey wrote:

> Is the basic connection working?  Can you ping, ftp, access a web
> server, etc?  Is it just an ssh problem?

ssh works fine, its sshfs that isn't. It was working in June or early
july,  now it replies:
gene@coyote:/etc$ sshfs -o pi@picnc:/ /sshnet/picnc
missing host
see `sshfs -h' for usage

And that "help" screen is worthless, zero examples.  The man page is
better.

And the pi was just rebooted after 46 days, again no difference, sshfs
can't find the host with both hands.  So what do I check next?

Thanks Alan.

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)

Re: sshfs failure

Gene Heskett-4
On Friday 11 August 2017 21:54:53 Alan Corey wrote:

> Is the basic connection working?  Can you ping, ftp, access a web
> server, etc?  Is it just an ssh problem?

Yes, networking is working like it should for all that. ssh -Y logins
work normally. sshfs mounts also work to 3 other wheezy machines, but
when I try to mount the pi:
gene@coyote:/etc$ sshfs -o pi@picnc:/ /sshnet/picnc
missing host

I am the only user, and user #1000 on all machines.  And it has been
working for at least 11 months, until the last month or so.

> On 8/11/17, Gene Heskett <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > On Friday 11 August 2017 14:35:40 Alan Corey wrote:
> >> I think connection reset usually means something happened to the
> >> connection like an elephant got in the way of your wifi.  Nothing
> >> specific to ssh, I get it in Firefox a few times a day from
> >> marginal signal levels.
> >
> > Hard wired network, radios are all disabled.

> > Cheers, Gene Heskett
> > --
> >  soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order."
> > -Ed Howdershelt (Author)

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)

Re: sshfs failure

Mark Morgan Lloyd-7
On 12/08/17 00:15, Gene Heskett wrote:
> On Friday 11 August 2017 13:56:16 Jens Thiele wrote:

>> try to ssh with -v to get more info:
>> gene@coyote:~$ ssh -v pi@picncsheldon
>>
>> jens
>
> Maybe, but I have 2 copies of bash, terminal-4.8, and all those logins
> are working flawlessly.

I'd expect new but not existing connections to fail if a security update
has deprecated a key size or type but the daemon hasn't been restarted
to pick it up.

--
Mark Morgan Lloyd
markMLl .AT. telemetry.co .DOT. uk

Re: sshfs failure

Christian Knoke
Gene Heskett schrieb am 12. Aug um 00:53 Uhr:

> ssh works fine, its sshfs that isn't. It was working in June or early
> july,  now it replies:
> gene@coyote:/etc$ sshfs -o pi@picnc:/ /sshnet/picnc
> missing host
> see `sshfs -h' for usage

check names and name resolving, use a FQDN, cat /etc/resolv.conf /etc/hosts and
check if the dhcp daemon is running. Try using IP instead.

Christian

--
Christian Knoke            * * *            http://cknoke.de
* * * * * * * * *  Ceterum censeo Microsoft esse dividendum.

Re: sshfs failure

Marcus Poller
Hi Gene,
Cc debian-arm,

Gene Heskett wrote:
> gene@coyote:/etc$ sshfs -o pi@picnc:/ /sshnet/picnc
> missing host

This does not appear right to me. Let's check your your ssh-options:

The command line in this e-mail could be a typo. If not, you have been executing sshfs with an extra "-o "-option. [1]

    sshfs "-o pi@picnic:/" "/sshnet/" ""
    source host: /sshnet
    target host: <empty>
    additional options: pi@picnic:/

Besides the typo I want to exclude ssh-control-master errors and ssh-config error.
Try

    ssh -Ostop pi@picnic
    ssh -F /dev/null pi@picnc 'true' && echo "name resolution successfull and independ of ssh_config"
    sshfs -F /dev/null pi@picnc:/ /sshnet/

If it still does not work, we may check FUSE vs non-FUSE filesystems.

Marcus

[1] https://linux.die.net/man/1/sshfs

Re: sshfs failure

Gene Heskett-4
On Saturday 12 August 2017 04:02:59 Mark Morgan Lloyd wrote:

> On 12/08/17 00:15, Gene Heskett wrote:
> > On Friday 11 August 2017 13:56:16 Jens Thiele wrote:
> >> try to ssh with -v to get more info:
> >> gene@coyote:~$ ssh -v pi@picncsheldon
> >>
> >> jens
> >
> > Maybe, but I have 2 copies of bash, terminal-4.8, and all those
> > logins are working flawlessly.
>
> I'd expect new but not existing connections to fail if a security
> update has deprecated a key size or type but the daemon hasn't been
> restarted to pick it up.

The error it is now reporting is "missing host".
An strace of the "mount attempt" shows that no attempt was made to access
/etc/resolv.conf (on this machine) to even look up the hostname, yet it
works flawlessly w/o doing that to 3 other machines running wheezy.

For instance:
gene@coyote:/etc$ ls /sshnet/lathe
bin   dev  GenesAmandaHelper-0.61  initrd.img  lost+found  mnt  opt   root  sbin     srv     sys  usr  vmlinuz
boot  etc  home                    lib         media       net  proc  run   selinux  sshnet  tmp  var
gene@coyote:/etc$ ls /sshnet/shop
bin   dev  GenesAmandaHelper-0.61  initrd.img  lost+found  mnt  opt   root  sbin     srv     sys  usr  vmlinuz
boot  etc  home                    lib         media       net  proc  run   selinux  sshnet  tmp  var
gene@coyote:/etc$ ls /sshnet/GO704
bin   dev  GenesAmandaHelper-0.61  initrd.img  lost+found  mnt  proc  run   srv     sys  usr  vmlinuz
boot  etc  home                    lib         media       opt  root  sbin  sshnet  tmp  var

Now, because I have needed to reverse this path while I was at that
machine, I had created an /sshnet/coyote mount point on picnc.  But its
not a heavily used path so the mount had not been done recently, and:

pi@picnc:/sshnet $ sshfs gene@coyote:/ /sshnet/coyote
The authenticity of host 'coyote (192.168.71.3)' can't be established.
RSA key fingerprint is 67:6b:d8:ba:2e:a0:20:46:1c:51:39:ef:fc:55:a0:90.
Are you sure you want to continue connecting (yes/no)? yes
gene@coyote's password:
pi@picnc:/sshnet $ ls coyote
amandatapes  boot  dev  GenesAmandaHelper-0.61  initrd.img      lib    libexec     media  net  proc  run   selinux  srv     sys  usr
vmlinuz
bin          CoCo  etc  home                    initrd.img.old  lib64  lost+found  mnt    opt  root  sbin  share    sshnet  tmp  var
vmlinuz.old

So I had to import the key, which I thought was established already,
but it also Just Works as can be seen above.

I can post the strace output, if it would help its not the mystery sized
novel we usually get, couple screens/pages.

If I changed that machines hostname, which I have but not until I was
having this problem, what do I need to restart on this machine to refresh
any caches of hosts this machine may keep? Like doing a reboot, but only
a namelist cache refresh?

Thanks Mark.

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)

Re: sshfs failure

Gene Heskett-4
On Saturday 12 August 2017 05:18:20 Christian Knoke wrote:

> Gene Heskett schrieb am 12. Aug um 00:53 Uhr:
> > ssh works fine, its sshfs that isn't. It was working in June or
> > early july,  now it replies:
> > gene@coyote:/etc$ sshfs -o pi@picnc:/ /sshnet/picnc
> > missing host
> > see `sshfs -h' for usage
>
> check names and name resolving, use a FQDN, cat /etc/resolv.conf
> /etc/hosts and check if the dhcp daemon is running. Try using IP
> instead.
>
> Christian

The IP in place of FQDN or alias thereof, works:

gene@coyote:/etc$ sshfs pi@192.168.71.12:/ /sshnet/picnc
pi@192.168.71.12's password:
gene@coyote:/etc$ ls /sshnet/picnc
bin   debian-binary  etc                     home  lost+found  mnt  proc
run   srv     sys  usr
boot  dev            GenesAmandaHelper-0.61  lib   media       opt  root
sbin  sshnet  tmp  var

Maybe I need to reboot this machine, uptime is 46 days.

Thanks Christian
.

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)

Re: sshfs failure

Gene Heskett-4
On Saturday 12 August 2017 06:25:21 Marcus Poller wrote:

> Hi Gene,
> Cc debian-arm,
>
> Gene Heskett wrote:
> > gene@coyote:/etc$ sshfs -o pi@picnc:/ /sshnet/picnc
> > missing host
>
> This does not appear right to me. Let's check your your ssh-options:
>
> The command line in this e-mail could be a typo. If not, you have been
> executing sshfs with an extra "-o "-option. [1]

Correct, dunno where it came from as I was execing a copy/paste
from /etc/rc.local on this machine.
>     sshfs "-o pi@picnic:/" "/sshnet/" ""
>     source host: /sshnet
>     target host: <empty>
>     additional options: pi@picnic:/
>
> Besides the typo I want to exclude ssh-control-master errors and
> ssh-config error. Try
>
>     ssh -Ostop pi@picnic
is an error:
No ControlPath specified for "-O" command

>     ssh -F /dev/null pi@picnc 'true' && echo "name resolution
> successfull and independ of ssh_config"
works:

gene@coyote:/etc$ ssh -F /dev/null pi@picnc 'true' && echo "name
resolution successfull and independ of ssh_config"
pi@picnc's password:
name resolution successfull and independ of ssh_config

> sshfs -F /dev/null pi@picnc:/ /sshnet/
Now that its working, complains the mountpoint is not empty.

> If it still does not work, we may check FUSE vs non-FUSE filesystems.
>
> Marcus

It worked using the IP.

> [1] https://linux.die.net/man/1/sshfs

Thanks Marcus.