startup prob

Glenn English-5
stretch, RPi

Just installed stretch on an RPi. SSH doesn't start on boot. No
problem with postfix, apache, proftp, bind, etc, as far as I know.

I tried to have it start at boot via Webmin; systemd said it wouldn't
do that without a command. It didn't say what kind of command it
wanted or where to put it, but there are several commands on the
system.

I went to /etc/init.d. There's an ssh script there, and systemd
started the server when I ran the script.

I went to /etc/default, and the script there said it was sourced into
an init.d script.

The man page talks a lot about how to start things, but I couldn't
find anything about where to put the data.

Anyone know the incantation to make the s word start ssh? A link to
clear dox on the innards of s.*d would probably be enough. So would a
quick howto.

Glenn English

Re: startup prob

john doe-6
On 10/31/2018 7:21 PM, Glenn English wrote:

> stretch, RPi
>
> Just installed stretch on an RPi. SSH doesn't start on boot. No
> problem with postfix, apache, proftp, bind, etc, as far as I know.
>
> I tried to have it start at boot via Webmin; systemd said it wouldn't
> do that without a command. It didn't say what kind of command it
> wanted or where to put it, but there are several commands on the
> system.
>
> I went to /etc/init.d. There's an ssh script there, and systemd
> started the server when I ran the script.
>
> I went to /etc/default, and the script there said it was sourced into
> an init.d script.
>
> The man page talks a lot about how to start things, but I couldn't
> find anything about where to put the data.
>
> Anyone know the incantation to make the s word start ssh? A link to
> clear dox on the innards of s.*d would probably be enough. So would a
> quick howto.

What do you get with the following command:

$ systemctl status ssh

John Doe

Re: startup prob

Reco
        Hi.

On Wed, Oct 31, 2018 at 06:21:54PM +0000, Glenn English wrote:
> stretch, RPi

Is it stretch or Raspbian stretch?

> Just installed stretch on an RPi. SSH doesn't start on boot. No
> problem with postfix, apache, proftp, bind, etc, as far as I know.

So it's Raspbian stretch.

https://www.raspberrypi.org/documentation/remote-access/ssh/

Reco

Re: startup prob

mick crane
On 2018-10-31 18:21, Glenn English wrote:
  find anything about where to put the data.

> Anyone know the incantation to make the s word start ssh? A link to
> clear dox on the innards of s.*d would probably be enough. So would a
> quick howto.

"systemctl enable sshd"

isn't it ?

mick
Key ID    4BFEBB31

Re: startup prob

Brian
On Wed 31 Oct 2018 at 18:21:54 +0000, Glenn English wrote:

> stretch, RPi
>
> Just installed stretch on an RPi. SSH doesn't start on boot. No
> problem with postfix, apache, proftp, bind, etc, as far as I know.

I would probably install again and choose *only* the ssh task. It's
10 minutes of my time.

On first boot I would

  systemctl status ssh.service

and go from there.

Of course, you haven't installed stretch but have installed stretch
plus a load of other things. It shouldn't make any difference but its
instructive to get back to the bare minimum.

Brian.

Re: startup prob

mick crane
On 2018-10-31 20:33, Brian wrote:

> On Wed 31 Oct 2018 at 18:21:54 +0000, Glenn English wrote:
>
>> stretch, RPi
>>
>> Just installed stretch on an RPi. SSH doesn't start on boot. No
>> problem with postfix, apache, proftp, bind, etc, as far as I know.
>
> I would probably install again and choose *only* the ssh task. It's
> 10 minutes of my time.
>
> On first boot I would
>
>   systemctl status ssh.service
>
> and go from there.
>
> Of course, you haven't installed stretch but have installed stretch
> plus a load of other things. It shouldn't make any difference but its
> instructive to get back to the bare minimum.

there's 2 components the ssh server and the ssh client
don't think that ssh server is installed by default.
so that would be the first thing.

mick

Key ID    4BFEBB31

Re: startup prob

Cousin Stanley
Glenn English wrote:

> Anyone know the incantation to make the s word start ssh

  You might try ....

  $ sudo raspi-config

    select ....

      interface

        ssh

  I don't remember if a reboot is required ....

--
Stanley C. Kitching
Human Being
Phoenix, Arizona

Re: startup prob

Glenn English-5
On Wed, Oct 31, 2018 at 10:27 PM Cousin Stanley <[hidden email]> wrote:

>   $ sudo raspi-config
>
>     select ....
>
>       interface
>
>         ssh

Worked perfectly. Thank you. And from me: Duh...

>   I don't remember if a reboot is required ....

I'm not sure because I didn't try both ways, but it asked if I want to
reboot. It worked when I said 'Yes'.

--
Glenn English